Author Topic: Kashmiri Chicken Masala  (Read 38426 times)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri Chicken Masala
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2010, 11:02 AM »
discussion in the powerhouse post led me to chk this is upto date.

Many thanks for the update and clarification. It must be worth a try, given the positive feedback from several people.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 02:28 PM »
George,

it is well worth a try if u're a fan of banana.

i've not come across an equivalent dish in BIR land and would be interested in members thoughts on which is the closest BIR dish - just so i could do comparison.

i guess 976bar as the originator may know more - for example there is no "kashmiri" on my local TA's menu so it must depend somehow on the chef's background or preferences.

ps u can use normal mix powder in place of the bassar but the result isn't quite as good. i also use the bassar generally in other dishes in place of mix powder just for a change now and again.

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 08:43 PM »
Jerry

every restaurant/Take away in liverpool and the Wirral have Kashmiri Chicken on there menu

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2010, 07:49 AM »
billycat,

many thanks - quite a surprise. i'll have an answer hopefully soon - still have Heswall Tandoori as a priority (was back across the boarder last night 1st time in 3 mths).

ps following your prompt i checked the Dilshad menu from the midlands - no kashmiri on there either so got to be a regional variation

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 07:56 AM »
Jerry

If you're on the Wirral, try the Murad Balti, Wallasey Rd, Liscard. Great TA. The chef's name is Bari, he's a nice guy. Tell his best customer from Grove Rd says hell from Australia. His chicken naga is heaven on a plate.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 08:04 AM »
Vindaloo-crazy,

thanks for the thought - i'm miles away i'm afraid (warrington). i have reason to visit ellesmere port often and that's quite a jaunt.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Ah well, if you ever get the chance mate.  :)

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2010, 09:29 AM »
George, it is well worth a try if u're a fan of banana.

I always thought 'Kashmiri' and 'Malayan' dishes on the menu were just simple variants on korma, like adding a few slices of banana, lychees or something. I didn't think it does much to alter the korma sauce flavour but perhaps I'm wrong.

About 18 months ago, IU had one of those dishes at a BIR in another region and it was delicious. The sauce was much better than standard korma (which was also on the table, so I could taste the difference).

Does your addition of banana affect the flavour of the whole sauce, would you say?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Does your addition of banana affect the flavour of the whole sauce, would you say?

George,

Yes it does for sure - adds a sweetness - for example if the banana is not ripe then the dish turns out poor.

i think what u're getting at though (and what makes it for me) is the combination of the  bassar/spice mix ie it does not loose it's curry pedigree whilst being a tad more adventurous in the use of fruit.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2010, 07:11 PM »
I always thought 'Kashmiri' and 'Malayan' dishes on the menu were just simple variants on korma

Not in my experience George. Korma is my least favourite BIR curry so if the Kashmiri was anything like it I would not take to it. When I've had Kashmiri it has been like a very mild curry sauce, with no chilli heat, and a sweetness added by the banana but the sauce is a brown colour (not yellow like korma).

I would therefore guess that if any cream has been added then it is in small amounts.

©2024 Curry Recipes