Author Topic: Kashmiri Chicken Masala  (Read 38088 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Kashmiri Chicken Masala
« on: June 16, 2009, 07:26 PM »
Well in between writing recipes for Buffalo Chicken Wings, which I have to add is combined with a very nice hot sauce (which I thought just might be appreciated on here) I also tonight made a fantastic Kashmiri Chicken Masala which was devoured in minutes! Smiley

Chicken Kashmiri Masala

For 2 people
Ingredients
? Onion Finely Chopped
1 tsp Fresh Garlic Minced
1 tsp Fresh Ginger, grated
1 heaped tbsp Pataks Kashmiri Masala Paste
1 tsp Tomato Puree
1 tsp sugar
? tin of Coconut Milk
? small pot of double cream
2 Chicken breasts pre-cooked
Handful fresh coriander, chopped
2 tbsp rapeseed oil

Method
Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and saut? until golden brown
Add the garlic and Ginger and cook for 1-2 minutes
Add the Kashmiri paste and tomato puree and cook for a further 1-2 minutes
Add 2 tbsp water and mix
Add the coconut milk and bring to the boil, then simmer until the sauce has reduced and thickened.
Add the sugar and mix in
Add the pre-cooked chicken and warm through thoroughly
Add the chopped coriander

Remove from the heat and add the cream and mix in well

Just before serving sprinkle some chopped coriander and a little cream on top

Serve with Rice and Naan

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Kashmiri Chicken Masala
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 07:54 PM »
976bar,

would u give a bit of background to this dish. a lot of it makes it very tempting. it looks like a traditional recipe adapted to BIR yet there is no base in it.

i like the kashmiri taste and have a packet of bassar (kashmiri curry masala) and use it as or part of spice mix fairly often. i know BIR menu's have kasmir dishes - is this what your aiming for?

if anyone else has any futher details i'd very interested - for example my TA menu has kashmir banana dishes which sounds different.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:33 AM »
Hi Jerry,

My son came home last night with his girlfriend and said they were both starving so could I knock them up a curry?

I had no base sauce out of the freezer, so I thought I would put together a curry from scratch based on ingredients I use for BIR curries but without the base sauce.

Hence I called it a Kashmiri curry because of the Pataks Kashmiri Masala paste I used as the base instead of a curry gravy. After frying the onions, garlic, ginger and spices, I added a little water to mix in the paste, then added some coconut milk, as it all started blending well together it also started thickening up quite quickly, so I added more coconut milk and continued to add that until around 3/4 tin.I then reduced the sauce down to a thickish consistency like that of a korma.

This gave a wonderful consistency, but it needed more. So I added the chopped coriander and then I drew the pan aside and added 1/2 carton of a small pot of fresh double cream. The taste was incredible for a curry which was made from scratch without a base sauce. My son actually said it was one of the best curries I have ever made.

I wish I hadn't had salad last night now and joined them!! :( lol

I'll be making this again at the weekend and will experiment with it a bit more too.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 12:12 PM »
... then added some coconut milk, as it all started blending well together it also started thickening up quite quickly, so I added more coconut milk and continued to add that until around 3/4 tin.

This gave a wonderful consistency, but it needed more. So I added the chopped coriander and then I drew the pan aside and added 1/2 carton of a small pot of fresh double cream...

One for Weight Watchers then  :P :P :P

Actually it sounds pretty good, keep us posted on how it develops.

Churz
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 06:46 PM »
976bar,

thanks for the background - all makes sense now.

i will try this next week using base. it has the hallmarks of a dish i've been looking for ie BIR but a bit different to madras.

if it works out then my next step would be to try to get the banana into it somehow. i'm just not sure how BIR's serve it given the inclusion of "banana" in the title. i'm familiar with fritter but that's not what i would be after (although i like it as a side in a biriyani). i may have to get a TA for side by side if the initial trial goes well.

many thanks.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:33 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Your Kashmiri Chicken Masala has banana in it?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:42 PM »
976bar,

i'd never heard of the dish until u're post. i had a look at my TA menu to get a feel for what it was. "Kashmir" is only listed under Balti and listed as - "Balti Chicken Kashmir Banana".

i'll ask about it next time i'm in the TA. I'm hoping it's not just a banana fritter.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 09:25 PM »
I only asked because many years ago when I started eating Indian food, and we're talking back in the late 70's now, the BIR's seemed to be so different to now. I do remember having a dish way back then with Banana in it, and it was fabulous, but I cannot remember the name of it now. But I do remember it being a creamy chicken dish like I cooked last night. But last nights dish had a lot more heat to it than way back then....

I also remember cutting my teeth so to speak on Lamb Korma which I adored and I might add bought me out in a sweat when I ate it as I was not used to spiced food before that lol. But even then, the BIR food of that era was quite different from what we find today on our menu's........

I then ventured onto Lamb Bhoona, which is still my favourite dish today, and thats why I asked many months ago if anyone had a Lamb Bhoona recipe, as out of probably over 30 restaurants in my area, there is only one I would consider that makes a Bhoona that tastes like it did when I first tried it. The rest seem to be a concoction of different ideas all thrown in together.

So time has moved on in the BIR world and I bet that if I did ever order another lamb Korma, it probably would taste of something quite different these days........

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:06 AM »
i started back in the late 70's too.

i've been vary narrow on the menu only really liking madras and derivatives.

some places are still for me the same. the Dilshad near my home town has been under the same management since 72 ish. i can't tell any difference in the madras. sure though the menu is nothing like it used to be. my fav is called sylheti - the nearest to it on most menu's is garlic chicken. i'm working on trying to get close to it myself.

anyhow following u're prompt i will add some mashed banana along with the base when i give it a go next week.

well looking fwd to it. um

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Let us know how it turns out :)

©2024 Curry Recipes