Author Topic: Dorset Naga's  (Read 16215 times)

Offline scimmy

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Dorset Naga's
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2009, 08:45 PM »
Here's a video of a chillihead who's well known to chile internetters as an objective sampler of chiles and chile products.  It's Neil from The Hippyseed Company in Australia.

He's impressed!

chilli tests ,, Dorset Naga

I grow the Naga Morich and Bhut Jolokia amongst other chiles.  If you like a really hot curry this is the way to go.  Definately not for those who prize flavour over heat, but if you like heat and flavour it also imparts a distinctive Naga fruity flavour to any dish along with ferocious heat.

My first post by the way, so hello! :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:04 PM by scimmy »

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2009, 08:40 AM »
I ended up binning about 50 Nagas. I liked the heat they produced, but the flavour was too overpowering for whatever it went in or on.

Next year I'm going to grow some Jalapenos for on pizza and some Pusa Jwala and Hot Summer chillies for in the curries. If anyone knows of any better varieties for Indian cooking then please let me know.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2010, 09:34 AM »
One of our local BIR's does Naga curries. They are extremely hot, but have a nice flavour to them.
They are supposed to be the hottest chili ever according to the Scoville scale. 923,000 SHU ( Scoville Heat Units.

I saw this on the South Devon Chilli farm web site http://www.southdevonchillifarm.co.uk/shop/index.php?target=categories&category_id=1

Quote. New seed now in!

World?s Hottest Chilli.

The Bhut Jolokia (A.K.A. Naga Jolokia) was officially measured at over one million Scoville Heat Units (SHU) in 2006 and replaces the Red Savina Habanero (557,000 SHU, measured in 1994) as the current record holder.

Being three times hotter than an Orange Habanero, our suggestion for cooking with these chillies is to use a small amount, very finely ground (dry or rehydrated and reduced to a paste). As a rough guide, try ? of a pod per person for a hot dish.

Heat rating: 10!/10 unquote.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Yes, I have some growing in my garden...can't wait to try them!

Interesting comments about drying them and rehydrating them as a paste...does anyone have any suggestions on how to best dry them?  Just leave them in the sun or put them in an oven?

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2010, 05:20 PM »

Interesting comments about drying them and rehydrating them as a paste...does anyone have any suggestions on how to best dry them?  Just leave them in the sun or put them in an oven?

I tried some of those South Devon Chilli Farm Nagas but I don't really think they are any good for a BIR style curry taking far too long to cook IMO. They seem to need at least an hour or so of simmering so they are OK in a chili con carne or a traditional style curry, if you try to cook them quickly they are very, very hot with an overpowering harsh taste but cook them on a bit and although still hot they develop a nice earthy/fruity flavour.

Regards
CoR

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2010, 08:26 PM »
I tried some of those South Devon Chilli Farm Nagas but I don't really think they are any good for a BIR style curry taking far too long to cook IMO. They seem to need at least an hour or so of simmering

Sounds like you need to make a precooked chilli paste with them then, BIR style, so that they can just be spooned in at the spice frying stage of the curry making.

Offline tempest63

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2010, 02:34 PM »

We just thread ours onto a strong length of cotton and hang them up in the kitchen where they dry off over a period of time. I suppose hanging them in an airing cupboard would hasten the process.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2010, 11:48 PM »

Cory

Im Irsh living in Turkey now

Turks all dry their  Chillies using the sun only open air, so sugest a slow dry in an oven if in Europe
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 12:17 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2010, 02:12 AM »
Thanks AP, I'll try that (or both, since I'm in Australia  :P)

©2024 Curry Recipes