Author Topic: Beef Stroganoff, Revisited and Illustrated  (Read 3395 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Beef Stroganoff, Revisited and Illustrated
« on: September 27, 2009, 08:22 AM »
I decided to make this again today as it's one of my favourite dishes and this time I took pics.

1 fillet steak size of your choice, but sliced into nice 2mm thick slices
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp TRS Paprika
10 mushrooms, finely sliced (or more if you prefer)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp butter
1 knorr beef stock cube melted in a mug of boiling water
10 dashes of worcestershire sauce
3 tbsp sour cream (or fresh cream if you prefer)
1/2 tsp salt (I use sea salt)
1/4 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Melt the oil and butter in a pan, add the onions and fry until soft, translucent and golden brown. Add the garlic and fry gently for about 2 minutes.

Add the paprika and gently fry the spice for about 3 minutes, it gives off a wonderful aroma. Add the worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Then add the beef stock and boil hard until it all reduces to a thick consistency.

Add the mushrooms and cook for around 3-5 minutes.

Meanwhile in another pan add a knob of butter and let it get hot but not to the point where the butter starts to burn. Add the slices of the fillet steak and just brown on each side to seal the meat, then take straight off the heat and transfer to a bowl or plate, including the butter and any juices.

Finally add the steak to the stroganoff mixture and cook for no more than 2 minutes.

Draw the pan away from the heat, add the cream and serve with a bed of rice.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Stroganoff, Revisited and Illustrated
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2009, 10:09 AM »
i can confirm this is a 100% recipe (and i tend to find there are very few that hit the spot other than recipes from real chefs). it's on our fav's list on the kitchen wall.

the original link is here for extra info http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3572.0

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:31 PM »
Why is it so very dark coloured?  Isn't strogonoff supposed to be a much paler creamy brown colour?

Sheesh, but what do I care!  It's not Indian anyway!  :P

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Why is it so very dark coloured?  Isn't strogonoff supposed to be a much paler creamy brown colour?

Sheesh, but what do I care!  It's not Indian anyway!  :P

If you ever have had a proper Stroganoff, it is dark in colour due to the onions and paprika, if you add too much cream to the sauce, it turns it pale...... Is it Rocket Science to you Cory? Sit sown and have another spliff bruv or whatever it is that turns your world around...... ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2009, 07:11 PM »

CA,

i too am used to it being much lighter. it's the paprika in 976bar's recipe that makes it darker. the paprika is also for me the key new ingredient that turns this dish into a hit.

Offline dellydel

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2009, 09:55 PM »
Made this tonight, very nice! cheers for the recipe!

Del

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 07:50 AM »

CA,

i too am used to it being much lighter. it's the paprika in 976bar's recipe that makes it darker. the paprika is also for me the key new ingredient that turns this dish into a hit.

Hi Jerry,

Actually it wasn't as dark as in the picture, it must have been the light from the Kitchen darkening it down a bit. I guess there's nothing like daylight :)

Offline The Apprentice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 10:42 AM »
Tradtional Beef Stroganoff does not have paprika in it .... that's why the darker / reddish  colour .

Judging by the ingredients and picture , it appears to be more of a Hungarian Goulash  ::)

CA , you are quite correct in assuming this variation of Beef Stroganoff is much darker than the usual .

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:44 PM »
It's definitely not goulash.

I've made the delia version of the stroganoff for quite a while. it's very similar to 976bar's spec. the key difference is the inclusion of the paprika.

it's well worth giving a go though - blind fold or not.

©2024 Curry Recipes