Author Topic: Where has it all gone wrong?  (Read 6216 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Where has it all gone wrong?
« on: October 01, 2009, 07:49 AM »
Ok, yesterday I decided to make some more base. Jerry kindly assisted me on which bases to choose from based upon his likes/dislikes and ratings, as I think Jerry has experimented quite a lot with different recipes on here, and I tend to trust his judgement. Many thanks Jerry, keep up all the good work. :)

In the end I decided on the revised SnS base, please see the link below. I followed the instructions to the letter and started to cook my base. I add the 500ml of oil as I wanted to reclaim the oil for further use in my curries.

The problem is that the oil has not separated from the base and I now have a base with 500ml of oil in it, which has made it quite thick. :(

Where has it all gone wrong? and what can I do with this base now?

Any input on this would be mostly appreciated.

As most of you will be aware, I was invited by Raj (the manager) to spend a few hours in the kitchens of Saffron in Lincoln. Yesterday lunch time I spent 3 hours learning how to make the base gravy with Saffron's four chefs (Anam, Aziz, Lal and Joy).

Kitted out in full chefs outfit, notebook and pen I was told that the gravy we were about to make is used in about 80% of their curries. Raj told me that the batch we were making was for me to take home ... oh deep joy (this filled a 5 kg yoghurt bucket).

So here it is chaps:-

Please Note: An update to this recipe has been supplied here (please click link): http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2271.msg20262.html#msg20262

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Where has it all gone wrong?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 08:08 AM »
I don't usually reclaim any oil, I like to leave it in. Just use a lot less at the curry cooking stage (about 1 - 2 tbsps) and after about 5 minutes cooking the oil will start to separate which is a good indicator that the curry is done.

The Saffron base cooking sounds like great fun. I look forward to reading your thoughts on it. Did you learn anything that we didn't already know?

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 08:17 AM »
well impressed on your saffron visit - i love the base.

on the oil all u need is here http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2684.0

i always take the oil off before blending nowadays to avoid the phaffing.

the way to get the oil out is to add a lot of water - try 500ml 1st followed by upto say a further litre. get the base on low simmer and stir very little. there is a stir action that u can use by keeping the top section of the spoon still and stirring at the bottom - that keeps the base moving on the bottom of the pan without disturbing the oil on top. leave the base essentially undisturbed for between 1 and 3 hrs. the oil will rise. it may even be a good idea to got out or do something else as there is always an urge to stir and u don't really need to.

the key reqt's are lots' of water, v.low heat and plenty of time.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 08:21 AM »

I was told that the gravy we were about to make is used in about 80% of their curries.

976bar,

can u give any examples of which curries are in the 20% category

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:34 AM »

I was told that the gravy we were about to make is used in about 80% of their curries.

976bar,

can u give any examples of which curries are in the 20% category

Hi Jerry,

LOL, that was part of the speil that went with the link, I did not write it, I just forgot to delete it when I copied the link. Sorry :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 11:37 AM »
Ah, that explains a lot!

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:38 PM »
So do tell us 976bar, did you ever find the missing oil ?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 04:47 PM »
In the end I decided on the revised SnS base...I followed the instructions to the letter and started to cook my base. I add the 500ml of oil as I wanted to reclaim the oil for further use in my curries.

But doesn't SnS's recipe say to add 200ml of oil?  In which case you didn't "follow it to the letter" did you?  :-\

However, having established that, you probably now need to simmer it for longer to release that extra oil.....otherwise it will anyway come out when you cook the final curries.  The risk is that they all taste very oily because of it!

Maybe with not following the recipe 976bar?  And, consequently, please see above
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 04:59 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 06:07 PM »
In the end I decided on the revised SnS base...I followed the instructions to the letter and started to cook my base. I add the 500ml of oil as I wanted to reclaim the oil for further use in my curries.

But doesn't SnS's recipe say to add 200ml of oil?  In which case you didn't "follow it to the letter" did you?  :-\

However, having established that, you probably now need to simmer it for longer to release that extra oil.....otherwise it will anyway come out when you cook the final curries.  The risk is that they all taste very oily because of it!

Maybe with not following the recipe 976bar?  And, consequently, please see above

You nearly had me there mate, but if you follow the link on the recipe I used, it definitely says 2 cups (500ml) :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 01:22 AM »
if you follow the link on the recipe I used, it definitely says 2 cups (500ml) :)

My apologies 976bar, so it does....I was looking at the "SnS base" and not the "Saffron base".....

©2024 Curry Recipes