Author Topic: The Holy Grail "again"  (Read 41732 times)

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
The Holy Grail "again"
« on: July 13, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Has anyone seen the new info posted on the Natco site? 

http://www.natco-online.com/acatalog/Holy_Grail.html

Ive also posted this in the web links group but thought I would post it in here as well as there might be some disscussion!

For a start the claim that the biggest secret is the "The Secret Onion Paste" which might make sense due to the fact that the only onion in the main gravy is red onion? :o

It all seems a bit to different to me but I still might try it!

Offline Ian S.

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: The Holy Grail "again"
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 01:35 PM »
Thanks for that, CK.  I'll be trying this at some point.

Red onion... that'll be a second mortgage, then!

Interesting too that - like KD - they reckon 200ml of sauce is enough for one serving.  There'd be a few angry customers round Essex way if restaurants served that up. Or  do budgies eat curry?! :D

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 01:40 PM »
I swear Ive read this before, does it seem like deja vu to anyone else?

Looks good though!

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 01:55 PM »
Its seems similar to Prashad with the separate boiled pastes but I don't think Ive seen this before, especially not the red onion gravy!

Offline Yousef

• Elite Curry Master
  • Curry Recipes Site Owner
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 02:50 PM »
I swear i have made that curry sauce before, i remember using red onions. :'(? That is definalty ripped from somewhere else. 

As to the rest of the stuff the Onion Paste is interesting and worth a go in my opinion.
Here is a copy and past of the lot for info: -

Introduction

We are eternally grateful to one of our customers (who wishes to remain anonymous - thanks again "M") for allowing us to publish his personal "Holy Grail".

We have frequently been asked how to replicate the taste of British "Restaurant Curries" - very different from classic? Indian dishes! There are many forums and links to sites that have their own opinions about this topic and believe me, we have tried most of them and found them to be lacking. Except for M's recipes below. The recipe below is the result of 22 years of trial and error and in our opinion is the truest, most accurate representation of the Great? British Curry - and it WORKS! It is, simply the best.

So, if you want to recreate your local Indian Madras, Korma, Bhuna,Dupiaza, Pasanda or Vindaloo in your own kitchen - here's how.

(Tip: Read ALL of these pages first so that you understand the principle ? then pick a curry and ensure you?ve got all the things you need before starting).

Basic Curry Sauce (with the secret ingredient)

4 large RED onions, coarsely chopped ? yes red onions!
2oz unpeeled fresh ginger, chopped
3oz peeled fresh garlic, coarsely chopped
6tbs vegetable oil
1tsp heaped salt
? tsp sugar
240g tin of chopped tomatoes
1tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (important!!!!)
1tsp paprika
1tbs tomato puree
1tsp tomato ketchup

1.? Fry onion in 1tbs of oil for 10 mins on a low heat until soft (not browned)
2.? Put in the garlic, ginger and salt then add enough water to just cover the top of all ingredients.
3.? Bring everything to boil then turn down to a simmer for 30 mins (no lid)
4.? While this is simmering, place remaining 5tbs of oil, tomatoes, puree, ketchup and spices into another saucepan ? boil then simmer for 10 mins on low heat.

Separately blend both of the above VERY FINELY and combine, then simmer for another 15 minutes to ensure cooked and well mixed.? The blending is vital to the flavour/correct texture.? ? ?Add water if it ever gets too dry during this phase.? The end result should should be about 1600ml of gravy ? if it?s not, add water to this volume now.

The Secret Onion Paste? (biggest secret!)

2 lge white onions, chopped finely
4 cloves garlic
3tbs vegetable oil
Pinch of cumin
Pinch of cinnamon

Place raw onion and garlic into blender.? Add enough water to come about halfway up the side of the blender and blend until WELL smoothed.

Heat the oil in a pan on a high heat, adding the mixture (it will spit!!!)

Reduce this down until it gets drier then add the spices and continue frying until it turns into what looks a bit like bread dough.? This may take some time but is worth it for the final taste!? Be careful not to burn this as it will be ruined.? Taste the finished product ? tastes almost ?soapy? ? remind you of anything familiar?

Special Spice Mix (not that special)

Equal amounts of cumin powder, coriander powder, garam masala and dried fenugreek.? If unsure which brand to buy, try NATCO ? especially their garam masala which is superb.? I mix up a few tablespoons of each at a time and keep in a Tupperware tub, etc!

The above are a MUST for all recipes and corners cannot be cut in any way. The above recipes could be doubled up for ease and stored in the freezer in pre-measured amounts.
?

How to make a basic ?Medium Curry?

800ml of basic curry sauce (should be around half the basic sauce recipe!? ? this is enough for? 4 people?s main meal)

5tbs Vegetable Oil
1 level tsp of salt
1tsp of ground coriander? ? ? ?
1tsp of ground cumin? ? ?
(This is the special spice mix but listed individually!!!)
1tsp of garam masala? ? ? ?
1tsp dried fenugreek leaves? ? ? ?
? tsp of chilli powder
fresh coriander leaves

Add oil and heat.? Add basic sauce (along with fresh chicken/other meats if using them) and simmer on high heat for 2-3 mins.
Add all of the spices and salt and continue for 5 mins or sauce separates from the oil.? Add the prawns (if your cooking a prawn curry!) and simmer for a further 7 minutes ? add any water if you feel it?s getting too dry.

Although the curry is now cooked, further frying is now required and this must be done in individual portions.?

At this stage (if you?ve doubled up the quantities) you can measure out lots of bags of 200ml/400ml at a time and freeze them for a quick curry whenever you need.?

You can now take out a bag from your freezer along with a couple of frozen chicken breasts in the morning and be eating within 20 mins when you get home.?

400ml of this basic curry sauce will be enough for 2 main dishes, therefore one entire recipe should be enough for 8 main dishes and so on.

The basic principle for a quick and easy curry (as fast as a restaurant!) is as follows:

1.? Add some oil to your ?individual curry? pan.?
2.? ***NOW REFER TO THE CURRY STYLE REQUIRED AND OBEY INSTRUCTIONS***?
3.? Then add the required amount of sauce and meat/cooked vegetables for one portion (only 200ml of sauce as it?s got to be an? ? ? ? individual portion for authenticity)
4.? Heat everything up and then add 1 tbs of the onion paste in the final minute
5.? Taste, if necessary add more of the ?special spice mix? - more fresh coriander for garnish

Voila?your individual curry!!!

From this method, you can have people round for a curry and given them all differing ones according to their personal tastes.

THE CURRY STYLES

For all of the types below, I recommend having the ingredients to hand as you?ll have to work quickly ? no time to start raking around your cupboards for stuff once you?ve started!!!!

Dupiaza

Whilst you are preparing the basic curry recipe, prepare the following

1tbs of vegetable oil
1tsp of Cumin seeds
2 large onions, sliced into rings
4 green or red chillies, halved lengthways

Heat the oil and add cumin seeds.? 5 seconds later add onions and chillies and reduce heat.? Fry until onions are soft and slightly charred.

Add to basic sauce, check seasoning, serve

Bhuna

Same as dupiaza but replace 1 of the onions with a chopped green pepper! (easy innit?)

Jalfrezi

1 tbs of vegetable oil
1 tsp of cumin seeds
1 large green pepper, chopped into chunks
4 green or red chillies

Korma

5 mins from end, add 1 tbs of ground almonds and 3 tbs of single cream.? (It?s that easy!)

Pasanda

Cook the basic korma and add 1? of a standard coconut block, ? tsp sugar and ? tsp turmeric 5 minutes before the end.

Madras

Replace ? tsp chilli with 1 tsp of chilli.? Add some lemon juice if you want. (how easy was that!?)

Masala

Add 4 tbs of Heinz tomato soup (& red food colouring) 5 minutes before end.? Serve with single cream on top.? (I guess the tomato soup fully justifies the ?7.50 price in a restaurant!)

Vindaloo

Replace ? tsp chilli with 2 tsp chilli and add 1 tsp of malt vinegar 5 minutes before end.

Pilau Rice? ?

Fill and switch on your kettle
Whilst this is happening heat up a little oil in a pan that comes with a tight fitting lid
Allow 3oz of BASMATI rice per person (weigh it!!! And it must be basmati ? nothing else works! You can also be boring and soak the rice in water first but I never bother)
Salt to taste
2 green cardamom pods (split open slightly) per rice serving
1 whole clove per serving

When the oil is warm, add the raw rice and spices together
Mix well, ensuring the rice gets coated in the oil ? don?t worry if it starts to turn white
Turn down the heat to minimum
Quickly pour the boiled water into a measuring jug
(allow double the fl oz of water to the rice weight)? ie for 4 portions: 12 oz of rice and 24 fl oz of boiled water.
Stir everything around to stop any sticking and place the lid on securely
Cook for 12 minutes on the lowest heat setting
After 12 minutes take from heat and leave for another 12 minutes (do not remove the lid ? the steam will continue to cook the rice!!!)

Later take the lid off and you can add a drop or two of food colouring for that restaurant effect ( I use a drop of red at one end of the pot and a drop of green at the other ? leave for a while and then mix through the white rice for a realistic effect)

I would normally make the rice first and, while it is resting, knock up the curry sauce.? The rice stays hot like this for a couple of hours if you don?t keep removing the lid and let the steam escape!)

This recipe will give impressive results if you measure/time things accurately.?
A piece of cake?.

(For plain boiled rice, omit the spices and food colouring).

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 03:03 PM »
I swear i have made that curry sauce before, i remember using red onions. :'(? That is definalty ripped from somewhere else.

Do you remember if its actually any good?

Who is the mysterious "M"? ::)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 03:05 PM by Curry King »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 03:15 PM »
Natco say: "There are many forums and links to sites that have their own opinions about this topic and believe me, we have tried most of them and found them to be lacking." They can't have missed this forum, so it appears they are none too impressed.

I understand red onions are widely used in 'authentic' Indian cuisine, not least since they are closer to the type of onions most readily available in India. But has anyone ever seen sacks of red onions in BIR's?

Notwithstanding any reservations, these are grand claims by Natco, just like all the claims by many rip-off authors before. If these recipes do not produce the 'holy grail' of curries, just what are Natco playing at? Therefore, I am optimistic that they will.

Regards
George

Offline Blondie

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2005, 03:36 PM »
Hi All,

I think perhaps that NATCO may be sniping at the in2curyy (East End) website when they say that they have tried other forums, after all they are rivals.? And as for there being "many" forums and websites that deal with restaurant style Indian cooking, I haven't seen many of them.? Has anyone else?

cheers all,

Blondie
« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 05:19 PM by Blondie »

Offline Curry King

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 03:45 PM »
And as for there being "many" forums and websites that deal with restaurant style Indian cooking, I haven't seen many of them. Has anyone else?

There's a couple of curry and Indian cooking forums but CRO not included I have to agree with Natco they are lacking somewhat, especially in2curry.? Although in fairness to East End they don't promote themselves as a forum for restaurant style curry, it just ended up like that and I suppose if it wasn't for their curry chat page we wouldn't have this forum as it is now? :)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2005, 03:47 PM by Curry King »

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 05:03 PM »
I think perhaps that NATCO may be sniping at the in2curyy (East End) website whent they say that have tried other forums, after all they are rivals.  And as for there being "many" forums and websites that deal with restaurant style Indian cooking, I haven't seen many of them.

Blondie - you suggest a reference to a single forum, yet Natco's text clearly refers to multiple forums, e.g. "MANY forums and links...we have tried MOSTof them..." But as there are only perhaps half a dozen forums, I say again that I would be surprised if Natco (or the recipe author who may have written all the text) had missed this site.

Regards
George

©2024 Curry Recipes