Author Topic: CA's Chicken Madras  (Read 85335 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Madras
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2010, 05:47 PM »
I made this madras today after making CA's base yesterday and it does make a very nice curry, however due to me not having any fresh garlic (I know, I should be flogged!) I used some "very lazy" garlic instead, which ruined the flavour for me, I can't knock the recipe though - and the consistency was excellent...Going to have another go once the snow's cleared a bit and I can get out and get some fresh garlic so I won't have that nasty taste of bottled /jarred garlic through it >:( I usually use admin's base and BE's madras recipe, which is bang on BIR for me although the consistency is different...looking forward to having another go with this one though - I'll post piccies of the second attempt...prolly Tues or Weds  ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2010, 11:44 AM »
Made this again last night (didn't get pics because we have people over for dinner and I didn't want them to think me odd! - shurrup Satan before ya start!). Have to say it was a very nice curry indeed! Caused a split between guests though - 2 for this one and 2 for the admin's base/BE madras...Definitely going into my recipe book! I prefer the admin's base madras but 'im indoors prefers this one mind you, he's never had any taste - he's stuck with me after all hehe

I consider this to be very similar to some of the more modern restaurant madrases but I like the older style madras result I get with the admin's base...going to have a go at more recipes using your base CA...Have you got any recommendations? Though next time I make the base I'm going to cut down on the capsicum as it was slightly too strong for me and that's the only negative thing I can say about it, and it's only a minor thing. Not bad for an Aussie that's not step foot over here for a number of years...not bad at all!

In fact, I'm going to have a go with your base and UB's pathia recipe (love that recipe!)...and I'll definitely post pics next time.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2010, 12:51 PM »
Thanks for trying it and reporting back Domi  8)

I'd really be interested in you trying it with my spice mix rather than Bruce Edward's (I presume that you used BE's?).  I think it adds some subtle but significant nuances and depth.

I'd also be interested in your view of using spiced oil too (did you use it?).  And did you add any tandoori masala?

I look forward to your photos (of your curries, not of your good self, of course ;))
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:02 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Domi,

i'd recommend the vindaloo. depends much on personal preference (madras may be far enough) but i really enjoyed the vindaloo and being able to cook out the chilli (from BE) made all the difference on the comfort front.

the ceylon is still on my todo list

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3953.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3868.0

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Thanks Jerry ;) I'll be making it in a couple of days will let you know how I get on (vindaloo that is) Do I need toilet roll in the fridge or will I be safe? lol

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2010, 03:18 PM »
For me personally CA's Vindaloo is my best attempt at a BIR curry, maybe not as spicy as some BIR's but texture & taste wise for me its spot on.  I have made it five or six times now.

Will

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2010, 03:54 PM »
CA's vindaloo was one of my best curries to date, although to me it tasted more like I would expect a madras to taste. Depends on your chilli powder strength I guess.

You should try it Domi as it's nowhere near as hot as I remember vindaloos.

Paul.

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Looks like I definitely have to do the vindaloo then lol...Thanks for the recommendations fellas! I like them hot! (curries, not fellas....well actually, fellas too hehe) :P

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Domi,

roll will be needed. as PaulP says - looks like a madras and not quite the vindaloo i'm used to but well on the way and very very good as a BIR dish.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Hy Guys,

Ok, this is my attempt at CA's Chicken Madras, step by step!

Step 1,

From left to right,  1, Spiced oil.  2, Un-cooked chicken.  3, Garlic, ginger & 4 chopped chilli's.  4, CA's Spice Masala, curry powder, chilli powder & tandoori masala  5, Tomato paste, dilluted with water.  6, CA's Base.  7, Sugar, salt & lemon juice, mixed together.

Step 2,

Frying off the chicken.

Step 3,

Garlic, ginger & chilli's added.

Step 4,

Curry powder, spice masala, tandoori masala & chilli powder added, off the heat.

Step 5,

Tomato paste added.

Step 6,

A third of the base added.

Step 7,

Two thirds of the base added.

Step 8,

All of the base added along with the sugar, salt, lemon juice and some chopped coriander (not stipulated in the original recipe but, I love the stuff)

Step 9,

After 5 mins final frying, just to release some oil.

Step 10,

The finished artical.

This was absolutely beautiful, even if I do say so myself ;D

This is the fourth time i've made CA's Madras and each time, it has been as good as the last, no variation whatsoever, just a great consistant dish.  It has all the BIR smell, taste and pleasure that you would expect in your fav BIR.

If anybody's interested, this is what I had with it:

Left to right: Seekh Kebabs with side salad (recipe soon to be posted!)  Pilau Rice (courtesy of KD2)  and CA's wonderful Chicken Madras.

Just checked out the nearest TA menu and for this little lot, it would have cost me:  ?11.20 + ?2 delivery charge coz it's under 12 quid.  I reckon this cost me about ?3 to make and is far better than any TA I've ever had! ;D

Thanks CA for another great recipe

Ray

« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 10:51 AM by Razor »

©2024 Curry Recipes