Author Topic: CA's Chicken Ceylon  (Read 105841 times)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Ceylon
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 10:14 PM »
I'd recommend avoiding CA's curries because they are formula curries derived from Pat Chapmans' sorry efforts

you just cant leave him alone can you...

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 10:20 PM »
I'd recommend avoiding CA's curries because they are formula curries derived from Pat Chapmans' sorry efforts

you just cant leave him alone can you...

Yes, I apologise Fi5h. It is a bit of a cause celebre with me. I shouldn't pick on poor old Pat the way I do.

Consider my botty well and truly spanked.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2010, 03:15 AM »
Hi.

I tried this out saturday night, I must say it was 1 of the best curries I've had. Awesome. Thanks CA.

Regards.
Johnny.

Hi JF,

Thanks for trying it and reporting back...glad to hear that you liked it  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2010, 03:15 AM »
Made this last night was very good indeed.

Hi timeless,

Thanks for trying it and glad to hear you liked it  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2010, 03:17 AM »
i have been making currys for other ten years now....thank you that is the best curry i have ever made ;D.

Thank you Moonster....a humbling endorsement indeed  :)

Glad you liked it and thanks for reporting back  8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2010, 03:20 AM »
the only trouble is the sugar - 3 tsp per portion is a hell of a lot for me (no sugar in tea or coffee). i know CA says down to choice.

Try adding none, or a little at a time, until you achieve the desired sweetness Jerry (as you rightly say I say, add it "to taste")  :)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2010, 03:21 AM »
I tend to add a 1/4 of what he states (e.g. with the Madras I only use 1/4 tsp).

Quite right Ramirez, add as much as gives you your desired sweetness (similar with salt).

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2010, 03:37 AM »
formula? :-\, don't really understand that, are not all recpies a formula? 

Quite right Willy. 

To my mind, "formula" curries is a specific term, apparently coined by Pat Chapman, to indicate the unique way in which "British Indian Restaurants" typically mass produce their curries (i.e. quickly and cheaply) by using basic "building blocks" (i.e. curry base, curry powders/spice mixes and pastes, precooked meats and vegetables) to prepare a wide range of curries, using nominally the same ingredients, but with slight variations, for each dish.

This contrasts with typical "authentic" or "traditional" Indian cuisine where the curries are more "bespoke"; taking much longer to prepare because fewer pre-prepared ingredients are used.

To that extent, ALL "traditional BIR" curries (excluding, perhaps, the really upmarket and expensive ones) produce "formula" curries. 

And any author writing about "traditional BIR" curries (whether they are Pat Chapman, Bruce Edwards, Kris Dhillon, etc) are presenting "formula" curry recipes and methods.  Otherwise the recipes are not "traditional BIR". 

Anyone who thinks otherwise is probably better off sticking with "authentic" or "traditional" Indian recipes.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2010, 09:38 AM »
CA,

this dish is 1st up for Saturday night tea. just a bit of advance awareness though that my efforts won't be exactly to spec so needs to be received with this understood.

i don't have CA base or mix powder at the mo.

what's particularly interesting me is what i've recently been doing on the amount of mix powder and tom puree - have reduced both to 0.5 tsp (from 1 tsp norm).

the as spec mix & curry powder at 2 tsp and puree 1 tbsp will not be declared to my testers  - will be interesting.

for info the chicken will be ashoka/ifindforu with adapted cooking of 3 min simmer and left to cool in the liquid. this was very popular on the last curry night with tikka dropped off the requests

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2010, 09:54 AM »
Whehey! CA's back.  :)

©2024 Curry Recipes