Author Topic: CA's Chicken Dhansak  (Read 74630 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Dhansak
« on: October 27, 2009, 11:12 AM »
CA's Chicken Dhansak (medium hot, sweet and sour sauce, with lentils)

serves 1-2

Ingredients:

- 300g skinless chicken breast (chopped into approximately 1 inch cubes)
- 75 ml spiced oil (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3295.msg34667#msg34667)
- 1 tsp fresh garlic (pureed)
- 0.5 tsp fresh ginger (pureed)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste (diluted to a puree with 3 tbsp water)
- 300ml curry base (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3772.0)
- 1 tsp curry masala (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3765.0)
- 1 tsp curry powder (any decent mild or medium one, or paste, will do)
- 1 tsp chilli powder (or more to taste)
- 0.5 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
- 2 tsp lemon juice (or to taste)
- 6 tbsp dhal (cooked lentils; I use the recipe here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=320.msg2727#msg2727)
- 4 tbsp pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp pineapple chuncks (optional)
- fresh chopped coriander (to taste)

Method:

- Heat curry base to a gentle simmer
- Heat oil in suitable pan (I use a cast iron wok) until almost smoking
- Add chicken and fry for a couple of minutes, on high heat, with continuous stirring, until sealed (i.e. just white on the outside)
- Add garlic and ginger and fry, for a minute or so, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Remove from heat and add chilli powder, curry masala and curry powder (or paste)
- Stir, to coat the chicken, and return to heat
- Immediately add tomato puree, stirring continuously
- Fry for 30 seconds or so, on high heat, with continuous stirring (do not burn!)
- Add a ladle of curry base and stir
- Continue to add the curry base, a ladle at a time, stirring occasionally as the water evaporates and the sauce thickens
- Add dhal and pineapple juice and stir
- Add salt, sugar and lemon juice to taste and stir
- Add pineapple chunks (if using) and stir
- Continue to simmer, on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the oil begins to separate (5 to 10 minutes)
- Add fresh coriander to taste
- Serve

Notes:

- You can use any other oil (e.g. vegetable oil, sunflower oil or canola oil) rather than spiced oil, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent, mildly spiced, curry base, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other decent spice mix or curry powder, or paste, in place of the masala, if you prefer, but the result may be different
- You can use any other precooked meat (or prawns) - just add it, after adding the first ladle of curry base, and make sure it is heated thoroughly

Below is a photo of my chicken dhansak:

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 01:51 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline mmmcurry

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Dhansak
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 06:42 PM »
Anyone tried this recipie? the picture looks nice, anyone know how close it is to a BIR dansak?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2009, 02:10 PM »
Anyone tried this recipie? the picture looks nice, anyone know how close it is to a BIR dansak?

As far as I know noone has tried it yet MC, you might like to be the first and let us know what you think?  :P

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 02:36 PM »
C A it looks really good. How would you rate it in a 1/10 scale of BIR authenticity in terms of taste and smell ? PP

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 02:40 PM »
Hi PP,

I'm not particularly a dhansak man, but, I think it tastes pretty good.  Some people might prefer to leave the pineapple chunks out (or cut back on the pineapple juice) if that's what they are more familiar with.  Otherwise, I feel that it is a good sweet and sour dish, with the slight "dryness" and "nuttiness" of lentils which is bursting with flavour...some of which, at least, resemble a BIR curry, to a fair degree, in my opinion.

I'd be interested for dhansak lovers to try it and let us know what they think...

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 10:32 PM »

I cooked this for lunch today, using Cory Ander's recipe.  I do not believe that I have ever eaten a dansak before (I'm a vindaloo man) so I don't know how accurate it is.  HOWEVER I'll be cooking this regularly and I'll be ordering it when I am next in an Indian restaurant.  Sadly, even though we have amazing restaurants in Las Vegas (off the Strip, as well as on the Strip) there are no decent Indian restaurants here.  The closest is in San Francisco.  The best I found in San Francisco is Pakwan (it looks disgusting, from the outside, but the food gets an 11 out of 10 - it's BIR good).  You'll find it on the corner of O'Farrell and Jones.

Since I already had multiple batches of Cory Ander's spicy oil and curry base, these are what I used today.  The only variant I used was instead of chicken breasts I used chicken thighs (I removed the skins and bones, and cut the meat into 1-inch pieces).

I was skeptical about adding the 2 tsp of lemon juice and 2 tsp of sugar, so I added each in small quantities and tasted it as I went along. The 2 tsps of each was exactly right (for my tastes).

Luckily, here in Las Vegas (where I live) I have a PHENOMENAL Indian store and he sells EVERYTHING I need.  When my Indian friends in the San Francisco/Bay Area send me recipes they will often mention a specific brand of spices.  The New India Market ALWAYS has exactly what I am looking for and ALWAYS even has the brand I am looking for!  When I lived in England, I lived in Bethnal Green (within walking distance of Brick Lane) and yet here in Las Vegas it is easier to get all the spices I need!

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:40 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2009, 12:21 AM »
Hi PF,

Thanks for trying the recipe and for reporting back....how did it taste?

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2009, 02:50 AM »
I do not believe that I have eaten a dansak before (I'm a vindaloo man).  But this was DAMN good!

I was cautious about using the sugar and lemon (the first time I made your pilau rice I added the sugar, that was given in the recipe, and it made it WAY too sweet.  So, I alternated adding small amounts of sugar and lemon juice until I had added the amount given in the recipe. 

It was SO good that I'm having the second half for dinner this evening.

Since I have never eaten a dansak before I have no idea how close it is to a true dansak, but I'll be making it again real soon (maybe tomorrow) as I have some green lentils left over from this morning.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2009, 03:25 AM »
I did the dansak agin, this evening.  This time I used more pineapple chunks, but unfortunately, the rice was not warm enough.
Still I have some left over for tomorrow.  So, if I do not have it for breakfast, I'll have it for lunch...then I'll be trying CA's vindaloo either tomorrow evening or for lunch the day after.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 03:40 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2009, 03:44 AM »
Nice effort pforkes....but watch that waistline!  ;D

Beware precooked rice that hasn't been heated thoroughly (a road to food poisoning)!  Two minutes in a microwave, on high, should do the trick nicely.  It should be steaming.

©2024 Curry Recipes