Author Topic: From the freezer  (Read 2799 times)

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
From the freezer
« on: November 01, 2009, 03:44 PM »
Today I took everything I needed out of the Freezer for the Sunday Curry except the chicken which is marinating as per The Ashoka recipe as I type. I thought it was worth posting that among the colourful freezer bags were the Following goodies and none of them negatively effected by this means of storage. All of the list come from The Ashoka Posts.

Base Sauce,
Bunjarra,
Garlic/Ginger Paste
Green Chili Paste
Reclaimed Oil from the Base
Half Cooked Pakora
Masala Base

Cant wait to put it all together with the marinading Chicken. For those not confident with Freezer storage I can genuinely say that I find Little or no deterioration in my end results. Hope this encourages our newbies to get to work on the basics and get a good store of all you need t to cook great BIR replicas. Hope this helps .PP

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: From the freezer
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 10:26 AM »
i must have missed this post 1st time round.

i must admit i'm not a big fan of freezing curry stuff.

i'm sort of real surprised that oil is on the list.

i used to carry forward oil into the next base. however post ashoka i now put a little marg in the base and this reduces the fridge life of the oil significantly. freezing would solve and i'll have to give it a try.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 10:30 AM »
how i got here was on Yogurt.

because of the fridge life of yogurt i never have it to hand.

i always use in marinating and like to use in naan. i generally find i have too much or none at all.

i decided to give freezing a go in ice cubes - it seems to work a treat.

i've cooked naan with the frozen so far and it tasted as good as with the fresh.

i'll try it in marinade next and report back.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 03:53 PM »
the yogurt worked spot on in both marinade and naan - could not tell any difference.

been that impressed that i've extended to trying out chilli sauce and bunjarra.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 05:28 PM »
i've tried the chilli sauce and bunjarra. i actually chucked the frozen blocks straight into the pan at dish frying.

i don't think i could really tell any reduction in taste. makes the cooking a tad more difficult so will continue to make and use fresh where possible.

i'm well pleased on the convenience though and going to extend to g/g paste. i already keep ginger block in the freezer to grate from frozen when needed for marinade or base.

i'm also on my 2nd batch of yogurt which is a real find for making marinade, naan etc on demand without think of a shopping trip.

©2024 Curry Recipes