Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Rogan Josh  (Read 5097 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
PanPot's Ashoka Rogan Josh
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:23 AM »
Posted by Panpot and moved to here by CA

Ingredients:

- Garlic/Ginger Paste (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Methi
- Sliced onions
- 1/2 Chefs spoon of Bunjarra (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3921.msg35423;topicseen#msg35423)
- Full chefs spoon of Rogan Josh base (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3909.msg35390;topicseen#msg35390)
- 2 chefs spoons of gravy (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3199.msg28544#msg28544)

Now the portion sizes can be deduced and the method from the original Ashoka post. We may need to experiment to get it right but hey that's what it all about.PP
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:34 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Rogan Josh
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 07:39 PM »
this is not what i would expect a rogan josh to taste like. i think it must be more like a Passanda but as i've never tasted a passanda i don't know for sure.

i've marked it on my recipe sticky as, "Bengali Delight" after a dish at the Dilshad in the midlands, "marinated chicken in a special bengali style creamy sauce, garnished with almonds and coconut".

i think there might be some further mileage in the recipe and have a few ideas that i intend to follow up in terms of making more rogan.

the good lady particularly liked this dish. she said it was real quality.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 07:46 PM »
i had difficulty cooking this dish and the ashoka CTM which i cooked on the same night. the problem is that the ashoka chef method is to add the g/g, puree & methi with the oil ie before frying the onions.

this caused the onions for me to be undercooked. i normally fry the onion for say 1 min before adding the g/g paste etc (otherwise the g/g paste overcooks).

i followed this my std method on the 2nd go and found the onion cooked out just right.

it makes me think perhaps that the ashoka have pre fried onion or part cooked in some way. it could be i just need to work harder at the ashoka method - not sure.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 08:25 PM »
the problem is that the ashoka chef method is to add the g/g, puree & methi with the oil ie before frying the onions.

I noticed that when watching Maliks live feed. They add onion and give a brief stir, leave for a very short while, and then in goes the base sauce! They obviously rely on the fairly lengthy simmer/boil that follows to "cook" them.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 08:01 AM »
Secret Santa,

it's quite strange and contrary to what i've found works best. if i add the onion 1st and fry for ~1min it then has another ~4min to go during the rest of the cooking - this produces a cooked but slight crunchiness that my TA produce. if i do it the other way (malik, ashoka) the onion has a tendency to be too hard.

i normally postion the g/g, puree & methi etc stage "spice stage" after the onion as these don't need to be cooked out like onion. the g/g being added 1st before the rest.

as i said i tried both methods on this dish and intend to stick to my std going fwd - just beats me why BIR do it the otherway round.

the only thing i can think of is that the onion does tend to absorb some of the oil when in fact u really want the oil to take on the g/g and tom puree/spice. one to work on perhaps. perhaps the TA container on it's journey home provides that period for the onion to continue to cook and which is not needed if u're already at home.

©2024 Curry Recipes