Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Balti Butter Masala  (Read 6355 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
PanPot's Ashoka Balti Butter Masala
« on: November 09, 2009, 01:25 AM »
Posted by Panpot and moved to here by CA

Ingredients:

- Garlic/Ginger Paste (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Tomato Puree
- Hanfull of spring onion
- Chefs spoon of Rogan Josh Base (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3909.msg35390;topicseen#msg35390)
- Single cream
- Touch of Curry Base (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3199.msg28544#msg28544)
- Vegetable Ghee

Method:

The method and amounts can be deduced from the original post
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:32 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Balti Butter Masala
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 10:23 AM »

- Vegetable Ghee

I wonder why they choose to use veg ghee in this one?  ???

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 12:08 PM »
I'm just about to throw mine out having read the health aspects of it on here. Does look a tasty and well composed menu/method however. Great stuff and one I'll try, thanks.

Now what was it that they use to cook Vindaloo.  ::) ;D

I wonder why they choose to use veg ghee in this one?  ???

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:38 AM »
i made 3 off of this recipe.

i'm afraid i made a couple of changes. i had no spring onion so used normal brown onion (medium sliced). i've made butter chicken a lot in the past and found honey works best in place of ghee or butter. i added some IG spice mix to curry 2 & 3 and some lemon dressing to curry 3. curry 1 being as close to as spec as i can get.

all 3 off tasted very good and on par with what i cook normally. we really took to this dish (it's a a step better for us than the ashoka rogan josh recipe).

surprisingly i ended up with smokiness on curry 2 (not intentionally) - i normally avoid it purposely on this sort of dish (CTM, Korma etc) as it's the ingredients that are key to the dishes taste. having said that we liked curry 2 best.

many thanks panpot - this recipe sticky has gone in with my regulars

pic of curry 1 & curry 2

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 02:40 PM »
i've made butter chicken a lot in the past and found honey works best in place of ghee or butter.

Hi Jerry ;) Could you explain the substitution of honey for butter or ghee as I find it an odd substitution and not one that I would assume given the difference between the ingredients...or rather if I were to substitute butter or ghee I'd go with some other form of fat/oil before reaching for the honey pot..

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2010, 05:38 PM »
i've made butter chicken a lot in the past and found honey works best in place of ghee or butter.

Hi Jerry ;) Could you explain the substitution of honey for butter or ghee as I find it an odd substitution and not one that I would assume given the difference between the ingredients...or rather if I were to substitute butter or ghee I'd go with some other form of fat/oil before reaching for the honey pot..

Wheras I would say.."what's honey got to do with ghee or butter, ffs!?"....nicely put Domi (actually, I saw this post earlier and declined to comment on it!)  ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 12:59 AM »
LOL CA...I was trying to be tactful ;D I can't see the connection between honey and ghee or butter but I've not experimented anywhere near as much as Jerry ;) then again, I doubt either my kitchen nor my budget are big enough to run the comparisons that Jerry does pmsl ;)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Domi,

always a fan.

i know BIR will use ghee. i do aim to follow BIR but not when i find i prefer a tad different slant.

i picked up on the use of honey from bitchinsahsa's recipe. i made it for the lad as i'd never eat BIR butter chicken for sure (i'm prejudiced on the likes of korma too and most CTM - both are too sweet).

not deep pockets i can assure u. the honey is smart price and mainly stocked for BBQ marinade.

uptil now i'd stuck to bitchinsahsa's recipe. this ashoka takes it up another league and put's me in difficult position being a real fan of the bitchinsahsa's recipe.

ps i don't use honey in any other curry dish.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2100.msg17943.html#msg17943/

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 10:33 AM »
ahhh! I get it now lol when I first read your reply re subbing the butter/ghee for honey I thought you'd omitted any fat/oil from the dish altogether lol now I've read the other thread it's much clearer ;D...I've never used honey in a curry - I was thinking of a milder curry such as this for the kids (they won't touch korma) and I think they're getting tired of CTM which is the only one they'd eat...they're not overly keen on Indian curries (philistines!) but they do love the starters and sides ;D They'll learn, I suppose ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes