Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)  (Read 49549 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2010, 01:09 AM »
Sounds like a "I didn't design it and get it on here first, therefore its a pile of poo" statement to me Cory...... ;)

I'll give it a try anyways, it may improve my curries it may not........ :)

You're free to interpret what I said anyway you like 976bar, however incorrectly.  I'll be very interested to hear what you think it does for the final dish (if anything).

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2010, 05:17 AM »
Jerry - you blend after its fully caramelized? May I ask why? What do you think it adds?

976bar's looks pretty similar to mine, but I think I chop my onions slightly finer. Mine takes about 90 minutes.

My personal opinion is that the bunjara adds something positive to the taste of the finished curry, but only a percent or so.

My question is, if BIRs would go through the labour required to create a bunjara... wouldn't it have a greater effect than 1%?

I've been adding mine toward the end of a curry (somehow I remember that's what the BIR did)... anyone try adding at the beginning? and "double-frying" with the spices?

-- Josh

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2010, 07:26 AM »
Josh,

i used to make the paste the original way ie blend onion in water. the ashoka version then arrived which does not blend and relies on as u say "finer" chopped onion. i simply blend it at the end as i want flavour not texture from the paste.

i do agree this is only part of the jigsaw. it's a bit like garlic u know when it's not there. i totally respect CA - most of what i've learned has been from him. on this one it must be just down to personal taste buds (ie same goes for me for methi - others swear by it yet don't do a lot for me). u just need to try it and decide yourself - not something to fall out over for sure.

ps i just started adding at the frying stage and feel it's much better.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Sounds like a "I didn't design it and get it on here first, therefore its a pile of poo" statement to me Cory...... ;)

I'll give it a try anyways, it may improve my curries it may not........ :)

You're free to interpret what I said anyway you like 976bar, however incorrectly.  I'll be very interested to hear what you think it does for the final dish (if anything).

Just pulling your leg Cory thats all :)

I actually made the Karahi Chicken Bhuna last night and I have to admit that using the Bunjara gave the dish body, which I have found lacking when making Bhunas before, so I think now I will try it in other dishes where a more thick consistency is required :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2010, 08:34 PM »
anyone try adding at the beginning? and "double-frying" with the spices?

That's what this BIR does: http://www.kitchenstreaming.com/index.php

Watch the chicken vindaloo for example (an eye opener in more ways than one).

There's no doubt however that if you want the full effect of an onion paste (bunjarra), that it has to go in right at the end.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Secret Santa,

real good video - well spotted. i've watched the jafflong in the past - this seems a recent addition. the complexion of the chappy puts me off a tad (not Bangladeshi) but it generally sits well with me and very impressive.

i'd like to know what the red liquid/paste is added after the base. i also find it difficult to understand why u would split the cooking - makes no sense to me.

ps i like the smoke.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2010, 12:07 PM »
i've watched the jafflong in the past - this seems a recent addition. the complexion of the chappy puts me off a tad (not Bangladeshi)

That's cos it's sometimes a punter (Sean, I believe his name is) filming himself cooking a curry there Jerry (at least it is in the "salt" link you provided in another thread..this one seems to be a "Fatima Lamb Bhuna"?)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 12:22 PM »
There's no doubt however that if you want the full effect of an onion paste (bunjarra), that it has to go in right at the end.

In the one I watched ("Jafflong Chicken Vindaloo"), he put the onion paste in right at the start SS  :-\

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 03:10 PM »
In the one I watched ("Jafflong Chicken Vindaloo"), he put the onion paste in right at the start SS  :-\

Yes I was aware of that. What it does is give a more subtle effect to the dish if done like this. But, like I said, if you really want the full effect of the onion paste it HAS to go in right at the end.

I believe you yourself have been adding it at the start of cooking? Perhaps this is why you concluded it had no effect!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Secret Santa,

when u say add right at the end - do u literally mean just before the dish comes off the heat. before switching to adding with the spice mix i'd previously added just after the base had gone in.

CA,

i'll check the link on the salt - i've watch quite a lot of them. this one caught my eye as the person said add just a touch of salt - i think this is because the base had enough salt in it already.

ps i certainly agree u need to watch them with tinted specs. i for one would not want to flame the pan.

link to the salt video : http://www.kitchenstreaming.com/play.php?vid=129
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 08:16 PM by JerryM »

©2024 Curry Recipes