Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)  (Read 49899 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Secret Santa,

when u say add right at the end - do u literally mean just before the dish comes off the heat.

Yes, just add it and stir for a few seconds or so to get the temperature back up, then serve. Of course by doing it this way the onions will retain their 'chunkiness' so you'd need to blend the paste first if you don't want that texture.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Secret Santa,

many thanks - i will try it out. i'll still add at frying stage too.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2010, 04:44 PM »
reduced the oil to about 150ml.  I have also omitted whole cumin seeds in favour of ground cumin and garam masala, 1 1/2 tsp of each.

Then, whatever you've ended up with (good or bad) it's no longer PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara) - not after that level of modification.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2010, 11:09 PM »
I have been away for a while with business and I tend not to eat curry in the summer. I returned today for the Bunjara, Garlic/ Ginger Paste and Asoka Base Sauce. I spent the evening in the kitchen doing a fresh batch of all three from the site and then cooked an Ashoka Chicken Bhuna. I am glad to say they were all perfect as posted by me. Someone recently emailed me thanking me for these perfect recipes but like me he was a Scot who knows just how much Glsdgow Curries vary to English ones down to the the original nationality of the owners and chefs. If you follow these as they are just as I did again then they give you a 10/10 Glasgow Curry. If we are after the genuine thing
 Then I was given these by the chef in the kitchen as theta prepared the sauces and dishes themselves. These are authentic and the real thing if you are looking for the Glasgow taste. Trust me follow them to the letter. Also remember as you cook and work in the kitchen your taste buds and sense of smell become engaged and so the smell and real taste is not able to come through to you but will to guests arriving from outside. Either accept this or wait to eat the curry the next day but I certainly couldn't. Even with these limitations tonight I once again enjoyed my best curry after 30 years of searching. Enjoy

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26 AM »
This morning I bagged up the base sauce for the freezer. I am delighted to report that apart from the curry last night this batch gave me 16 curry portions of golden liquid stored away for future enjoyment. The remains of the Garlic/Ginger Paste and the Bunjara gave me enough for 5 more curries. So I will need to prepare more of each to maximize the Frizen Base Sauce. If I can be so bold without these two critical components my curries would not have the authentic Glssgow experience. We all I suspect are after our local best. Enjoy Panpot.

Offline Martinwhynot

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Hi All,

For the record I have not posted many things on this site - was more of a watcher than a contributor if I'm truthful (not too hot on forums as opposed to not wanting to join in!).

I have been eating "Glasgow curries" since I was 4 (now 43) and I have to say that every thing I have always wanted has been realised tonight by PanPot's Ashoka bunjara and garlic/ginger paste recipes. 

Central Scotland came to Shropshire tonight.

PanPot - Legend!

Anyone critical of these 2 recipes, I'm positive, hasn't eaten a curry in Glasgow.  My curry tonight has all the body, flavour and after notes of my own Shish Mahal in Denny, Stirlingshire - a multi award winning restaurant.

In fact the result was so good I feel that my need for sites like this are no longer needed (in a nice way!) I will continue to give my experiences if ever I can, in the same way Panpot did here - although I doubt I'll match this contribution.

If I can add anything:  follow the Bunjara and garlic/ginger paste recipes exactly - I'm amazed at all the tweaks  that are being suggested without people trying them.  If you know what a curry from the Glasgow area tastes like, you will achieve it with these 2 items - cut no corners, make no compromise.   ;D

Regards to all,

Martin

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2010, 09:22 PM »
ok Martin , thanks for your post , i have also been eating curries in Glasgow for many years  where did you think was the best u had ? you want to tell us what you made and pics also good , this forum has been going for yrs so dont just pop on and make 1 comment then leave , its good to have new members aND HAVE A WEE CHAT

my fav place used to be cafe india on north street , amazing madras and chicken pakora !

GARRY

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2010, 09:29 PM »
hey panpot i will do your dishes this weekend to the T , i have been eating glasgow curries for many years but not tired the ashoka base or curries yet , will post back on sunday mate

garry

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Cheers Guys, I am delighted that folks who actually know what a Glasgow curry is like rate what was genuinly given to me for all of us without anything taken out so highly.
I also underdstand from a local point of view why one might feel that you no longer feel the need for any forum once you have these critical yet hidden till recently componants.

Its perhaps why I have been away for so long because I can't imagine cooking any other base sauce or ever cooking a curry without the Garlic/Ginger Paste and Bunjarra ever again. why would I having been searching and experimenting for some thirty years and finally having got it from the horses mouth. I do love this Forum and I am grateful for the drive it gave me to continue my search and finally get in behind the scene and into the real kitchen. Also endless recipes are wonderful on here but life is too short to cook a batch of anything other what is for my regional taste perfection. Having said that I am open to being seduced by a southern curry that is so good I want to replicate that too. I have had advise on where I may find it and will explore in good time.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2010, 11:51 AM »
Regarding this recipe, i bought 4 massive spanish onions, how many do i use as its not that clear ? i have used 2 and see how i get on as it said or use 4 red onions which r quite small

Garry

©2024 Curry Recipes