Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)  (Read 49555 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)
« on: November 10, 2009, 03:16 AM »
Posted by PanPot an moved to here by CA

Ingredients:

- Spanish Onions (very large onions or 4 medium red onions) 2 finely Chopped
- Oil 1 cup
- Cinnamon Stick 4 inch piece
- Bay Leaves 4
- Cumin Seeds 1tbs
- Garlic/Ginger Paste 1 chefs spoon (http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3915.msg35417;topicseen#msg35417)
- Turmeric 1tbs
- Salt 1/2tbs
- Garam Masala 1/2tbs
- Red Chili Powder 1tbs
- Tomato Paste 1tbs
- Blended tin of Plum Tomatoes 2chefs spoonfulls

Method:

- Heat the oil
- Add cinnamon stick and bay leaves and stir until flavour is released
- Add cCumin seeds and, once crackling, immediately add the onion
- Continue to stir, scraping from the sides of the pan (this will ensure that the onion cooks evenly until dark and caramelised but are never burned)
- Add the garlic/ginger paste and stir
- Add the spices, salt and tomato paste
- Continue to stir
- Add the tomato pulp
- Cook  for a further 5-10 minutes
- Remove from heat and allow to cool, adding more oil to cover it.

The paste will keep for 15 days under oil or can be frozen. Excess oil can be used for cooking dishes.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 05:05 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 01:25 AM »
Hi CA,

Tried making this tonight, what a disaster :'(

Everything was going great, right up until the point of the onions caramelising.  Then in an instant, everything burnt.  I've got no clue as to what I did wrong as I followed the recipe to the letter.  I'm assuming that 1 cup = 300ml?  This seemed quite a lot of oil to try to caramelize the onions in.  I think I probably cooked it on too high of a heat but I did this because it would have took an age to get the onions to caramelise.  I also think that the cumin seeds was burnt early on but I proceeded none the less.

Have you made this CA, if so, how long did it take to caramelise the onions?  what kind of heat did you apply?

I'm absolutely gutted that this went wrong, I was really looking forward to using some of the oil from this to start the main dish off.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Ray

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 01:45 AM »
Again, not my recipe Ray, I only moved it here on behalf of PanPot who was the originator (please see top of thread).

but, for what it's worth:

- 1 cup = 250ml (yes, you don't want too much oil if you're trying to caramelise rather than fry, even 250ml seems a lot to me)
- Use a very low heat (even if it does take ages..but it should only take 30mins or so)
- Stir frequently (to stop the onions from burning)
- Watch it closely towards the end (they can go from caramelised to burnt pretty quickly, as I think you've found!)

I'm sure Panpot (or others) will clarify shortly...

« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 02:17 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 03:29 AM »
Hi CA,

Yes, you are correct, perhaps I should have really directed my questions towards panpot.  However,  I have done as you suggested and gone to a really low heat, reduced the oil to about 150ml.  I have also omitted whole cumin seeds in favour of ground cumin and garam masala, 1 1/2 tsp of each.  I added the odd tbls of oil along the way.

What I have ended up with is a reddish brown, loose paste.  Very savioury to the taste but not too salty and not burnt one bit ;D  Also, there is a nice layer of oil floating on top which I will use to start of the main dish :P

I will follow panpots recipe for the Ashoka Bhuna, using this paste in place of the Ashoka Bunjara, and if you don't mind, I will let you know how I got on.

As always, thanks again,

Ray

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2010, 04:24 AM »
I will let you know how I got on

Yes, please let us all know how you get on Ray  8)

PS:  I think the cumin seeds are OK, provided you do as the recipe suggests and add the onions as soon as they start to sizzle (this should stop them from burning).  I was also a bit worried about them burning.....

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2010, 08:43 AM »
Razor,

there is quite a lot of info here:
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3128.msg27899#msg27899

slow and low is it for defo - mine takes 3hrs.

the other thing i've not tried is using the garam - i use tandoori masala. i really can't see the garam working as well.

ps i always make a "1/3" batch and use 50ml of oil and 550-600g onion - nb these are based on the original recipe which i then just add the extra ashoka ingredients. i do tend to alternate between the recipes though (ashoka and original onion paste).

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 12:10 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the link.  Well, I have made my paste now, and will try it tonight.  I will take some photo's and try to post them with explanations of how I did it (if it all goes well)  The reason I used the garam masala is basically just because the Ashoka does call for it once the onions are caramelized.  Also, i omitted the cinnamon stick and bay leafs (because I think I burnt them right from the off) and used ground cinnamon instead, Just 1/2 teaspoon.  It does smell, look and taste pretty good, so fingers crossed, I may have stumbled on to something, albeit, it would be born out of mt total incompetence to replicate Panpots recipe :)

Anyway, ill give it a go, and let you all know,

As ever, thankyou for the advice,

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2010, 10:02 AM »
Razor,

no probs.

it will be interesting how well it works - ie using the garam (presume u used the east end brand which is very much like curry powder). i've never used garam - purely down to miss reading the ashoka recipe (being too over confident from the original recipe).

the cinnamon stick c/w powder is a key differentiator for me - the stick produces a significantly different taste.

best wishes,

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2010, 02:39 PM »
Hi CA,

Tried making this tonight, what a disaster :'(

Everything was going great, right up until the point of the onions caramelising.  Then in an instant, everything burnt. 

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Ray

Try chopping the onions not quite so finely, that will do do the trick, might take longer to cook, but will not go from just underdone to burnt in an instant!!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Hi Guys,

Right done the curry settled on the Ashoka Bhuna Karahi. Couldn't take photos because my oldest lad has it at his house.

As for the Onion paste, it turned out quite nice, slightly salty but with a sweet note too. heres how I did it:

3 medium onions, roughly chopped.
1 1/2 tsp Garam Masala (I used Rajah)
1 1/2 tsp Cumin (Rajah)
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder (Swartz because thats all I had in)
1 Chefs spoonAshoka Garlic & ginger paste
1 tsp Deggi Mirch
1/2 tsp salt
1 pinch of sugar
1 tbls tomatoe paste
2 chef's spoons of Passata or blended tinned tom

- Heat the oil on a low light
- add the onions and fry for 15 mins turning frequently
- add the cumin, garam masala and cinnamon powder and continue to stir
- keep stirring frequently until the onions are almost caramelised
- add the garlic and ginger paste and continue to stir for a further 5 mins
- add the deggi mirch, salt and tomatoe paste and stir for a further 3 mins
- add the passata, sugar and stir. Continue to cook for a further 10 mins

Cool and cover with oil.

What I have ended up with is something that resembles a very dark brown/red, oily madras.  Quite salty, but sweet if that makes any sense ???

The final dish was really really good, almost there in my opinion.  The one thing I will change next time is, I will not add tomato paste in the final dish.  Half way through, this became the dominant taste.

Now I'm not going to call this onion paste a Bunjara as I feel that would be an insult to PanPot, but I will say that it is a usuable paste that took me a step closer to what I'm aiming to achieve.

When I get my camera back, I WILL post the photo's on here, and hopefully, you guys can have a look and provide me with some feedback

Thanks as always,

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes