Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)  (Read 49548 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Razor,

u're clearly getting to know this paste. u'll find that over a period of time u'll tweak it to get it to your own taste. for example less salt but still sweet. i also think brown is not good - dark red is ideal. try the tandoori masala version too.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2010, 08:52 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Yeah, I will give the Tandoori masala version a go next time.  When describing the colour, perhaps it would have been more accurate to say Dark red/brown rather than the other way around.  Certainly the oil is red.  I when I said that I would leave out the tomatoe paste, I meant I'd leave it out of the Bhuna and not the Onion paste.

Just a question, how best would you describe the taste that I should be aiming for?  I am quite happy with the taste as it is now, but not ever having tasted a genuine one before, Im not quite sure what to aim for!

As always, thanks,

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 06:29 PM »
Razor,

i'm in the same boat in terms of genuine taste. however i've made it so many times (and by the 2 off different methods) now that i feel i know the envelope. it's a very moorish, subtle taste. mine is not sweet other than from the caramelised onion. u could eat it on it's own. the cinnamon (must use the stick not powder) is the strongest taste - yet subtle. the rest of the ingredients just blend together and give the moorish part.

i've recently found better results by adding it at the spice frying stage - i used to add after the base. i still do add extra with the base for some dishes.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:16 PM »
Thanks Jerry, 

That's give me a bit to think about and work on.  Ill keep giving it a go.  Like you, I definately think that adding it at the spice frying stage would be best and that's what I'll try in the future.

Thanks for your help Jerry,

Ray

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Razor,

for defo keep at it - well worth it. any questions just ask (i think everything is in the link i added earlier).

for info the proportions i use are (based on 1/3 of the original recipe): onion 550-600g, 12 off garlic cloves, veg oil 50ml, 4" stick cinnamon, tandoori masala 1 tbsp, tom puree 1 tbsp.

to make the ashoka version i then add: 4 off bay, turmeric 1 tbsp, salt 7.5ml, chopped tin toms 120ml, deggi 7.5ml.

nb i've stopped adding cumin just recently.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2010, 07:59 PM »
:o
Why Jerry?

nb i've stopped adding cumin just recently.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2010, 06:11 PM »
Mikka,

i'm not a fan of cumin. there is enough in the spice mix for me. the decision was down to laziness (grinding a small amount) and a doubt whether the 1/3 tsp made any real difference. i could not detect any difference.

Offline chinois

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2010, 01:18 AM »
I think i found the amount of oil in the recipe too much. Basically there needs to be enough to caramelize the onions. I used too much once and they were deep frying/poaching so they wouldnt caramelize properly. They didnt get sweet.
Lots of oil should be poured on and stirred through at the end.

I also prefer to grind the cumin seeds and add them later on. I guess i'm concerned they'll burn or be too obvious. Anyone else found this?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2010, 02:26 AM »
Anyone else found this

Whole cumin is something I tend to notice right away. Sometime good, sometimes bad. However with the bunjara, I don't think its ever hit the noticeable level.

My last few curries have used the bunjara (about a tablespoon near the end of the curry) and haven't had an issue.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2010, 07:25 AM »
I also prefer to grind the cumin seeds

i always grind cumin (except in bhajis). i did add the ground upfront at the start.

©2024 Curry Recipes