Author Topic: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)  (Read 49547 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: PanPot's Ashoka Onion Paste (Bunjara)
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2010, 08:16 AM »
I am a bit confused here, everyone mentions an onion paste, but no one seems to be blending this lot into a paste unless I have mis-read the process.

So is this actually a paste or a kinda chutney consistency? I haven't made this yet but want to try it............

Offline billycat

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Jerry,,, just a query

you say you dont like cumin you also state you detest methi

Why do you like curry !!!!! as they are two of the most predominant flavours

just a thought !!!!

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2010, 01:08 PM »
I've just made the Bunjara and not having seen it before I've taken a couple of pictures to ask whether I have done this right or not?

It tastes bloody marvelous on its own so can't wait to stick it in a curry!!! :)

Please let me know your views.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Hi CA,

Tried making this tonight, what a disaster :'(

Everything was going great, right up until the point of the onions caramelising.  Then in an instant, everything burnt.  I've got no clue as to what I did wrong as I followed the recipe to the letter.  I'm assuming that 1 cup = 300ml?  This seemed quite a lot of oil to try to caramelize the onions in.  I think I probably cooked it on too high of a heat but I did this because it would have took an age to get the onions to caramelise.  I also think that the cumin seeds was burnt early on but I proceeded none the less.

Have you made this CA, if so, how long did it take to caramelise the onions?  what kind of heat did you apply?

I'm absolutely gutted that this went wrong, I was really looking forward to using some of the oil from this to start the main dish off.

Any tips would be much appreciated!

Ray

Hi Ray,

When the onions have softened but not yet caramalised, turn the heat down to low and keep stirring them, and just keep cooking them on a low heat. I made this today and thought I could smell some burning for a second, luckily I was standing over this dish and watching it with a keen eye so as to avoid burning. As soon as the heat was on low the onions cooked slowly, turning to a lovely golden colour and caramalised really well.

Give it a try :)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Hi 976bar,

That looks really good. Just one question, how long did it take to cook?

I don't fancy watching over my onions for 3 hours!

Paul.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Why dont you just throw the ingrediants for the curry paste into your curry mix at the beginning of your stir fry? wont you get the same end result?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 04:45 PM »
Please let me know your views

What are you pics showing 976bar?  Frankly, it looks like (very nice) spag bol to me (minus the spaghetti, of course)?  :-\

Here's my view:

The "onion paste" or "bhunjara" or "call it what you may" tastes very nice on it's own (it's caramelised onions, why wouldn't it!) but makes b*gger all difference to a final curry (in my, oh so humble, opinion!)  :-\

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 05:17 PM »
It took about 40 minutes to make.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 05:20 PM »
Please let me know your views

What are you pics showing 976bar?  Frankly, it looks like (very nice) spag bol to me (minus the spaghetti, of course)?  :-\

Here's my view:

The "onion paste" or "bhunjara" or "call it what you may" tastes very nice on it's own (it's caramelised onions, why wouldn't it!) but makes b*gger all difference to a final curry (in my, oh so humble, opinion!)  :-\

Sounds like a "I didn't design it and get it on here first, therefore its a pile of poo" statement to me Cory...... ;)

I'll give it a try anyways, it may improve my curries it may not........ :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 06:57 PM »
976bar,

pics look spot on to me. the 40 mins seems too quick but i know u're cooking credentials are spot on. for info i do blend into a paste after cooking.

on the 3hrs u don't need to stand over it - just like 976bar says stay with it but particularly towards the end. must not burn.

billycat,

i know it may seem strange (cumin and methi phobia). i now know that the curries i don't like have methi in them (and there are many - i mean locations not the dishes - bradford for example when i lived in the midlands there was a curiosity about the place - big disappoint on the 2 visits i made for curry. the curry mile is the same pretty much). it's just down to the origin of the chef - if he's Bangladeshi i like the curry if he's not then there's a very good chance i won't. i actually ask nowadays before ordering.

the cumin is a bit different - i'm not keen on the taste but i have to admit it's a key ingredient and collectively works well with the rest of the spices. i think there is a general rule that 2 units of coriander seed should be used for 1 unit of cumin. my preference is more like 4 : 1 that's all.

ps still got the kebab on my list but weather put us off a trip to cassa and the water front over xmas

©2024 Curry Recipes