Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala  (Read 81156 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 07:53 AM »
Here is tonight's chicken tikka masala

How did you find it tasted and/or compared to what you're used to PF?

I think you were right to reheat it and thicken the sauce...the same thing occured to me on seeing your photo.

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2009, 02:06 PM »
It is such a long time since I had a CTM (I left England on Christmas day 1995) that I can not remember what a CTM was like, so I cannot compare it.

What I did like about it was how the curry stuck to the meat.

I used your recipe for making the chicken tikka.  The only change I made there was to omit the chili.  Also, I made three times the quantity and left it to marinate for the  full 36-hours, before barbecuing it (on a hot charcoal, cast iron barbecue) to partially cook it, put 300g into each Ziploc bag (that's a sealable plastic bag) before freezing it.

With the CTM, I followed the recipe exactly.  The only minor change was when I made the coconut milk powder cream and I realized I had no cream, so I used full-fat milk (I doubt it would have made very little difference to the final dish)

In a couple of hours, or so, I'll be having the second half for breakfast and I'll be able to find out how much better it tastes for standing over night.

This CTM I would identify closely with your korma, being extremely mild.

Americans are almost incapable of tolerating ant heat/spicy-ness in their food.  if you go to a restaurant and they ask you how spicy you want it on a scale from 1 to 10 and you say "10" what you will actually get is about a 3 on a 'British scale' (I jest not).  When I tell Americans that I going to cook Indian for them they "worry" that it is going to be too spicy for them (and really do mean that they worry!).

Offline blanchy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Tried this earlier with blades tikka recipe, was really good. I found there wasn't enough sauce thought at first so I doubled the amount of base sauce.  Next time I'll probably add a bit of chilli powder just to give it a bit of a kick.

Here's a pic

should really have chopped up the coriander..

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 10:01 PM »
When I tell Americans that I going to cook Indian for them they "worry" that it is going to be too spicy for them (and really do mean that they worry!)

Yep, I hear you on that. On the other hand, they seem to have no difficulty downing those scorching chicken wings that are hotter than any Phall I've ever had  :-\

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Looks great Blanchy!

should really have chopped up the coriander..

For garnish I rarely bother...

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2010, 01:41 AM »
Looking good Blanchy...glad you liked it  8)

If it's a "bit of a kick" you want, why not try my Chicken Tikka Masala Phal:   http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4000.0  :P

Offline pforkes

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 01:05 AM »
When I tell Americans that I going to cook Indian for them they "worry" that it is going to be too spicy for them (and really do mean that they worry!).

I live in Las Vegas and I COMPLETELY understand what you mean - they almost break out in a cold sweat.

When I am asked, in an Indian restaurant, here in the States, how hot I want my Indian I will say "ten" but end up with a British 'three'.  Only twice have I been caught out in over 14-years.  However, if I tell them i want a"British 10" then I get a genuinely hot curry.  Most Indian restauranteurs have connections with Britain.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 01:23 AM »
Most Indian restauranteurs have connections with Britain

I've probably eaten at 200 indian restaurants throughout North America. There may be many who have "connections" with Britain, but haven't found ONE that is true BIR, or who ran an Indian restaurant in England. The closest I found is a Bangladeshi one where the owner came to Canada direct from Bangladesh. That one is pretty good and close to BIR.

There is a takeaway I go to nearby when I'm too lazy to cook. Next time I do I will take some pictures and post them, along with the name and descriptions. You guys will have a laugh.

pforkes - if you have a recommendation of a good one in Vegas, hit me up. I'm there a few times a year.

-- Josh

Offline blanchy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2010, 08:14 AM »
a version of this I did a couple of weeks ago..

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Hi Blanchy,

That looks really nice but, either your bowl of rice was really far away when you took the pic, or that was just a single portion ;D

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes