Author Topic: Which of Bruce Edward's Spice Mixes Should I Use?  (Read 5849 times)

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
Which of Bruce Edward's Spice Mixes Should I Use?
« on: December 01, 2009, 07:22 AM »
Bit of confusion.
I downloaded the Bruce Edwards articles. I also read the FAQ here on the site. I Inputted to my Brain :
Coriander 8 parts
Turmeric 7 Parts
Cumin 5 parts
Chilli powder 4 parts
Paprika 4 parts (option )

This is obtained from Page 14 of "Curry House Cookery", and whats shown on here in FAQ's.
Then I read elswehere in the downloaded Bruce Edwards paperwork , under "Curry Powders" . 3 mixes : Hot , Medium, Mild. ..... So here's the Mild one :
Coriander 6 parts
Paprika 4 parts
Fenugreek 1/2 part
Cumin 1/2 part
Chilli 1 part
Turmeric 1/2 part
Allspice 1/4 part

Now, Im'e not questioning anyones wisdom here but you can see that these are significantly different.  The main thing stands out to me is the drop in quantity of the Turmeric and the massive increase in quantity of Paprika let alone the almost total reduction of Cumin from 5 parts down to 1/2 part.

Even looking at the HOT and the MILD mixtures in Bruce Edwards re-print I still can't fathom those in relation to the others. Main one being much less Cumin and there being Fenugreek in them yet non in the FAQ's mix.

I have stuck to the first mix , same as the one in FAQ's and to be honest , it's near enough for me but I would like to know , am I missing something here ?

Cheers all.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:00 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Please confirm the Spice Mix
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 08:48 AM »
Hi
I'm sure I will be corrected if I've got this wrong :-\ but the mixes you list are for different things.
The first is a "Spice Mix" the main spice component for a BIR style curry the second is a "Curry Powder" this is sometimes included in the spice mix depending upon which one you use or can be added to a curry along with the "spice mix".
Hope this helps
Matt

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 08:59 AM »
I'm sure I will be corrected if I've got this wrong

I think that might be incorrect Matt.

I think each are a BE "Spice Mix" but from different editions of his "Curry House Cookery" series.

The earlier edition has the different "strengths" (i.e. mild, medium and hot) whereas his later version has just the one (the first in the above list).  I think the first on the list is the more usual one quoted and used by most people (see here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1546.msg13676#msg13676)?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 09:39 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Please confirm which of Bruce Edward's Spice Mixes to use?
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 09:51 AM »
Cheers for that CA suspected I was on the wrong trail.
Matt

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 09:58 AM »

I think each are a BE "Spice Mix" but from different editions of his "Curry House Cookery" series.

The earlier edition has the different "strengths" (i.e. mild, medium and hot) whereas his later version has just the one (the first in the above list).  I think the first on the list is the more usual one quoted and used by most people (see here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1546.msg13676#msg13676)?

Thanks Coriander, Well I followed your link and added a bit more puzzlement. re: adriandavidb comment on that thread about "curry powder" . Thats another spanner. I need an extra pantry with all the stuff I bought and im'e going to buy some more today. The Indian Supermarket in Rotherham is about 10 miles away but it's worth the run. I don't seem to be able to keep away just lately as I keep discovering new things. They have all the usual prepacked stuff inside and outside is all the fresh stuff , including all the fresh greens , Peppers , Coriander , Methi , Ginger and plenty of stuff I have never even seen before or used yet. They have a smashin hardware section too with all the cooking paraphernalia. If it's a driveable distance for anyone I would certainly recommend a visit.

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 01:06 PM »

In the spice mix I used Chilli Powder. I summised that it was either a misprint or an editors mistaken term , using the word "curry"  rather than the word "Chilli". I can say the result was very good .  Another reason I took it as Chilli is because in the other "older" Hot and Mild mixes , it says Chilli , and theres no mention of "curry powder".  In the Mild mix , there doesnt seem to be anything added at all with respect to Chilli or Curry Powder so i take any hint of heat is taken from the Ginger . of course , all this is assumption but what else can one do , other than assume , or , try both methods , one with Chilli and one with Curry powder and see which is preferred. Now, having said that. I see that all mentions to Bruce's most recent list and then re-posted here on this site refer to it as "Curry Powder". Could we all have fallen for a misprint ? Are you pretty sure through your better experience or experimentation ? It seems just a tad strange if we are adding "curry powder" thats just a mix of the other ingredients but in lesser consentrations and if thats the case , the only real addition would then be the Chilli powder thats an ingredient in the Curry powder.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 02:16 PM »

In the spice mix I used Chilli Powder. I summised that it was either a misprint or an editors mistaken term , using the word "curry"  rather than the word "Chilli"Could we all have fallen for a misprint ?

British Indian Restaurant spice mixes reportedly (from a number of independent observations) contain curry powder.  Check out some of the other spice mixes published in the "Supplementary Recipes" section of the forum.

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 03:39 PM »
Check out some of the other spice mixes published in the "Supplementary Recipes" section of the forum.

Hi Coriander. Thanks. My trip to Rotherham resulted in getting 2 types of Curry powder and some dried "Curry Leaves" ? along with what I actually went for. I hadn't realised but theyre a chain PAK supermarkets. They are online too for anyone wanting to google them. Strange that the website shows only Birmingham yet they say theyre in various parts of the UK.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:20 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 07:26 AM »
the BE spice mix i use was from his direct post (only links i have http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2815 & http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=3074.0;topicseen)

i have it as:

8 parts coriander seed
5 parts cumin
7 parts turmeric
4 parts curry powder (i use rajah hot)

i haven't tried it with paprika as i use LB mix when i need a paprika version.

i would now automatically add garlic & ginger and cardamom seed as per CA's AKA

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 07:58 AM »
the BE spice mix i use was from his direct post

Yes, looks like the later version of Bruce Edward's spice mix (with the the paprika being optional)

©2024 Curry Recipes