Author Topic: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala Phal  (Read 13348 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
CA's Chicken Tikka Masala Phal
« on: December 08, 2009, 03:44 AM »

And plated, with plain boiled rice:

My Chicken Tikka Masala Phal recipe can be found here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4000.msg36196#msg36196

Changes to the recipe were as follows:

- 0.5 tsp of tandoori masala instead of 1 tbsp
- 1 tbsp of Pataks Tikka Masala Curry Paste (additional - added with the powdered spices)
- 2 tsp curry masala instead of 1 tsp
- 2 fresh green chillies (additional - added with the garlic and ginger)
- no coconut milk powder
- no desiccated coconut
- no fresh cream
- no milk
- no almond or cashew powder
- no butter ghee

The result is a thicker, less creamy, less coconutty Tikka Masala Phal, delicious nevertheless!
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:34 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CA's Chicken Tikka Masala Phal
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 05:23 AM »
CA - I love a CTM. Call it what you will, but its an enduring flavour for me. I also love a good hot curry, and after a few pints I have been known to order a Phal.

So I am curious about the taste of this one. Noticing that you omitted (or reduced) most of the identifying characteristics of a standard CTM (and massively raised the heat), I have no idea what this will taste like!

I've never had a CTM Phal (though I have probably had a Chicken Tikka Phal). How would you characterize the taste of this?

-- Josh

Offline extrahotchillie

• Indian Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 09:00 AM »
Now that has inspired me it looks really good I will give it a try myself.

Cheers keep up the good work.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 11:07 AM »
So I am curious about the taste of this one. Noticing that you omitted (or reduced) most of the identifying characteristics of a standard CTM (and massively raised the heat)

My version with "most of the identifying characteristics of a standard CTM" is here Josh:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4000.msg36196#msg36196

Quote from: josh
How would you characterize the taste of this?

Like a CTM (i.e. tikka masala taste) with a bit of a bite Josh!

This version is less creamy and coconutty than that in the link above but still tastes notably of a tikka masala (from the chicken tikka and marinade....I forgot to mention that I did not precook the chicken tikka so there was plenty of marinade around still)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 11:08 AM »
I will give it a try myself.

Thanks EHC, I'll be interested in hearing how you find it  8)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 10:15 AM »
that looks bloody hot!!!

mind you i like hot, but my limit is kinda half way between a vindalloo and phal. Its a dicey risk i take.

i never fully understand thediffrence between a vindallo and phall? is it just more chilli or is there a diffrent structure to the curry?

one day i will attempt a phall.

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:49 PM »
My bum will be haunted by that image! Looks fantastic. Do I get the feeling you're using a pretty decent camera for these? Any advice to those us who know nothing of photography to getting such sharp images, as mine often come out blurry.

Cheers

BB.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Do I get the feeling you're using a pretty decent camera for these?

No, I use an average (well below average, nowadays), cheap, point and shoot 5 megapixel Kodak jobbie.  In fact, some of my earlier photos would have been with a 2 megapixel Kodak.

Any advice to those us who know nothing of photography to getting such sharp images, as mine often come out blurry

Not really, I just take care to get some light around (using a side lamp if it's nightime), something for the camera to focus on in the dish and take lots of photos, from different angles, discarding those that are out of focus or otherwise not so good.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 07:59 AM »
You could try one of those table top tripods for about a tenner from a photo shop, use the macro mode (the little flower symbol) and set the white balance manually if you can. Even a cheapo digicam will be loads better than using a camera phone for food photography, "proper" food photographers cheat like crazy btw, that delicious looking ice-cream and toffee sauce is more likely to be cold mashed spud and motor oil!

Regards
CoR

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 04:26 PM »
that delicious looking ice-cream and toffee sauce is more likely to be cold mashed spud and motor oil!

Brings back fond memories of school dinners!

©2024 Curry Recipes