Author Topic: An Invitation to Cook at a BIR (by Spice as Nice)  (Read 2182 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
An Invitation to Cook at a BIR (by Spice as Nice)
« on: December 14, 2009, 02:12 AM »
Originally posted by Spice as Nice and moved to here by CA.

The balance of the original post (i.e. recipes) can be found here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4044.0

From Spice as Nice:

Hi all.

I had a lengthy chat with the owner of my local curry takeaway after he invited me "round the back" . I could cook my own curry ( with his supervision ) or just watch him do it. I watched him.
He invited me and a friend to do the same again any Monday evening. We must take 2 fresh chickens or equivalent lamb.

To be quite honest , I was astounded at what he told me. All about the base and how it's made and then onto the end curry making. What gobsmacked me was what was NOT in it.  I was very suprised at how easy it was made. Very simple.

So , here's an invitation to anyone out there , first come first served , as they say.

1/ it's a Monday evening
2/ South Yorkshire
3/ Just off junction 36 M1
4/ Bring your own meat
5/ Bring a video camera and still camera if you want.
6/ Cost .... will be his standard curry price around ?6 each ( you keep the curry's produced ). He will provide everything else included.
7/ From what we take , eg 2 chickens , there should be several curries produced.
8/ All will be revealed and explained ( he says there are no secrets , it's easy )

Anyone interested please let me know.

From Joshallen2k:

Hi Spice-as-Nice,

Great find. Could you elaborate on what he said? What went (and didn't go) into the base and curry?

And most importantly, was the curry any good? (i.e. did it have the "taste" we are looking for)

Cheers,
Josh

From Spice as Nice:

It wasn't the best curry I have had from there , but it was a bog standard average nice medium curry. For my taste , a little lacking in oil , but strangly there was some red oil on the top by the time I got home and ate it but not much.
It slightly lacked colour for my preference.
I think he normally adds a few more bits for my usual order but keep in mind this was his demo to me of how easy it is put together. 

I asked him , can I come again and video it ?
He said yes
I asked can I bring a friend to video it as I will be watching , he said yes , Monday is best as it's quieter. He said bring 2 fresh chickens.
He said , I can cook it or he will cook it , either / ither.

I told him I wouldn't just turn up , I would be in touch to let him know in advance , hence my invite on here to anyone whos not too far away.

If no-one comes with me , I will go again and take a video camera with me and upload it to Youtube so others can view it.

This guy is the owner , he's called Abdul. he's very friendly and open. He even said I can go up and make his curry base for him if I want the work.

I must add , there are other chefs there on busier nights . Even ordering the same medium chicken curry on different dates , each curry has slight differences depending who's cooked it and what night it was cooked on . They are never exactly the same. I have found this before at othr takeaways too. I think it's normal.

I have never had a bad curry from this takeaway. I did once ( about 18 months ago ) get a megga hot one when I ordered a medium ( it was bleedin hot at about 8 on the Richta scale ) . After that hot one , I told him about it the next time I went and he made me a freebee . Can't complain then can I ?

From PaulP:

Thanks for the post Spice-As-Nice.

If it was a bit closer I would consider coming to the demo too. Hopefully somebody else will take up your offer.

From JoshAllen2k:

I'd love to join you at the restaurant, but alas, I am many thousands of miles away from Yorkshire!

From Chilli:

Roll on Monday night. Hope things go well!!

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: An Invitation to Cook at a BIR (by Spice as Nice)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 02:16 AM »
I have separated this thread into the following:

a)  Invitation to cook at the BIR (this thread)

b)  Corresponding recipes, and discussion on recipes, here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4044.0

Please post your comments in the most appropriate thread.

Thanks
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 02:31 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline Spice-as-Nice

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: An Invitation to Cook at a BIR (by Spice as Nice)
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2010, 09:52 AM »
Update:

As of today Feb 22nd 2010 I havnt yet managed the appointment with the local Curry takeaway. being ill , on and off since Christmas and also having loads of curry base in my freezer has meant I havn't needed to buy a takeaway. Having said that , around beginning of Feb I did have one and was told by staff that the owner ( he who invites me ) is in Pakistan till 2nd week in March.  In fact I was in there agin tuther night asking lots of questions and got loads of replies. One new one was they use 'powdered' tomato in the final cooking in the pan.
I still intend to have the cooking lesson so my invitation is still open if anyones interested ?  Near J36 M1 on a Monday .
I hope to get it in in the next few weeks as I am away myself in early April.

©2024 Curry Recipes