Author Topic: Top Tips for Creating that BIR Curry "Taste" and "Smell"  (Read 23994 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Top Tips for Creating that BIR Curry "Taste" and "Smell"
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:39 AM »
Hi all,

We all talk (or hear talk) of the "taste" and "smell" of a typical BIR curry, irrespective of what that may mean to each of us (and I am sure that it varies with each individual's experience and perspective).

I would like to ask what SPECIFIC tips members have for achieving that BIR curry "taste" and "smell"? 

If, for example, you feel that "technique" is important, what SPECIFIC technique is important?

As EminJ stated in another post, it would be interesting and helpful to capture the DO's and the DONT's of creating that BIR curry "taste" and "smell"

Any offers?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 05:56 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline adriandavidb

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Top Tips for Creating that BIR Curry "Taste" and "Smell"
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 09:45 AM »
-If using garlic, fry 'till slightly coloured (pale yellow).
-Fry spices in hot oil for at least 30 seconds with little, if any, liquid present - I believe the excess of oil is required to draw the flavour out of the spices.
-Fry in dry methi leaf at the begining with the spices.
-After spice-frying, add a couple of tbs of base and reduce down till nearly all of the water is gone, the subsequent additins of base do not need to be reduced as far, I believe the caramelized sugars released by the onions whilst doing this contribute to the BIR 'smokey' toffee taste.

Having stated the above I still find that sometimes the results are amazing and sometimes only 'good' - Obviously the subtle variables make it seem like a bit of a 'dark art'.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 10:18 AM »
Hi all,

We all talk (or hear talk) of the "taste" and "smell" of a typical BIR curry, irrespective of what that may mean to each of us (and I am sure that it varies with each individual's experience and perspective).

I would like to ask what SPECIFIC tips members have for achieving that BIR curry "taste" and "smell"? 

If, for example, you feel that "technique" is important, what SPECIFIC technique is important?

As EminJ stated in another post, it would be interesting and helpful to capture the DO's and the DONT's of creating that BIR curry "taste" and "smell"

Any offers?

Nice follow up post CA , be nice to have a sticky with ' definitives ' ;)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2009, 10:22 AM »
be nice to have a sticky with ' definitives ' ;)

I agree Eminj, I think you're right when you say we are short on defining the POSITIVES (i.e. "how CAN we?") rather than the negatives (i.e. "why CAN'T we?")!

In fact, we should probably concentrate on the "DOs" and not the "DON'Ts"

Thanks for the start ADB...some good tips there...... 8)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2009, 01:26 PM »
I cook a little differently to most on here but for me:
Equal measures of Green seeded chillies and green pepper finely chopped soon after the garlic.

In fact, we should probably concentrate on the "DOs" and not the "DON'Ts"
Thanks for the start ADB...some good tips there...... 8)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2009, 01:33 PM »
Equal measures of Green seeded chillies and green pepper finely chopped soon after the garlic.

And, SPECIFICALLY, how much would you say, per single person portion, Mikka?

What about milder curries, where chillies, and maybe green peppers, would not be appropriate?

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2009, 01:34 PM »
Having stated the above I still find that sometimes the results are amazing and sometimes only 'good' - Obviously the subtle variables make it seem like a bit of a 'dark art'.

Why do you think that might be ADB?

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 03:41 PM »
-If using garlic, fry 'till slightly coloured (pale yellow).
-Fry spices in hot oil for at least 30 seconds with little, if any, liquid present - I believe the excess of oil is required to draw the flavour out of the spices.
-Fry in dry methi leaf at the begining with the spices.
-After spice-frying, add a couple of tbs of base and reduce down till nearly all of the water is gone, the subsequent additins of base do not need to be reduced as far, I believe the caramelized sugars released by the onions whilst doing this contribute to the BIR 'smokey' toffee taste.

This is EXACTLY what I do, and I'm happy with this element of my curry cooking. Also, I do these steps on HIGH heat, and use LOTS of oil to ensure nothing burns. When that base hits the frying spices in the pan... whoa! There's the smell guaranteed.

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 05:03 PM »

Why do you think that might be ADB?

Excellent answer there CA we need to get down to the Nitty Gritty  :D
Perhaps we could start by listing what type of frying pan you use then what base recipe followed by which Curry recipe then which order you cook your Spices and at what temperature ? ........... Perhaps it might show up some interesting similarities.

For myself it's....
1. Aluminium frying pan sourced at Asian Supermarket
2. sNs base minus the Potatoes but some Coconut block added ( experimenting )
3. sNs Madras recipe plus a pinch of dried Fenugreek
4. Start on low - med heat ( gas hob )
5. Add 1/2 tbs of Butter Ghee to pan plus veg oil to just cover base of pan
6. Start with the pinch of Fenugreek leaves ( as per my bir kitchen visit )
7. Add 1tsp minced Garlic ( from jar ) add 1/2 tsp of minced Ginger ( from jar )
fry on medium heat prob 30 - 45 seconds until it starts to change colour , add 1 tbs Tomato Puree from tube ( bought at Tesco's ) stir in , Tomato Puree does not mix in well with the oil ,
after about 30-45 seconds add 1/2 tsp of each of ground Coriander / Cumin /Turmeric / plus 1 -2 tsp of Chili powder , still with heat on medium stir in Spices in quick motion or they will burn !
after approx 30 seconds we have the ' Toffee ' smell , then add first ladle of preheated base and this will sizzle violently , raise heat slightly to keep mixture bubbling , add pre cooked Chicken previously marinated in Garlic / Ginger / Tom Puree / Turmeric / Veg Oil , add 2 more ladles of base gradually increasing heat to keep the mix bubbling , add a good pinch of chopped Coriander stalks , add a good pinch of Garam Masala a squirt of Lemon dressing and about 1 tsp of Salt stir in and taste , add more Salt if necessary ,fry mixture for a couple of Min's more adjust thickness of Curry with pre boiled water if needed , serve and garnish with Coriander leaf.   
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009, 06:14 PM by emin-j »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2009, 05:21 PM »
Hi CA.
Usually I drop about 1 TBS of each (mixed) per pan that serves two. I do use both (One or the other) but to a lesser degree and depending the dish type too? (This is of course my personal preference).

** I think this thread is a fab Idea and agree with comments would should list method and perhaps utensils and heat of course.

And, SPECIFICALLY, how much would you say, per single person portion, Mikka?

What about milder curries, where chillies, and maybe green peppers, would not be appropriate?

©2024 Curry Recipes