Author Topic: "Meat" Curry  (Read 11659 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
Re: "Meat" Curry
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2009, 04:22 PM »
nearly every bir ive been in, and ive been in many many diffrent ones over the years have european dishes on ther menu too. i was in elgin just a few months ago myself and had a steak and chips there, was just not into a curry that night as had one the 3 previous nights.

so i dont think its religious thing probably more a cost/taste/cooking thing why its not on the curry menu, and going by my attempt xmas eve with beef pathia i can see why.

regards

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2009, 07:23 PM »
I'm sure our friends have been cooked more times than we know but I doubt that happens too often these days? I do have it on good evidence that Cats are just like Chicken from a Guy who fought in Burma.

I think I'd rather focus on normal meats please.  ;D

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 09:29 AM »
i think it's keema. this being mincemeat and the "mince" being dropped for ease. the meat for me would be lamb.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 11:09 AM »
i think it's keema. this being mincemeat

I don't think so Jerry, "meat" curries generally contain chunks of meat, not minced meat (i.e. keema)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 05:27 PM »
i suspect its mutton ie older lamb, that is used when discribing a meat curry. This meat is far cheaper than lamb, chewier, stringy and most likely needs some delicate preparing anf cooking to make it palatable.

from wiki

* Lamb ? a young sheep under 12 months of age which does not have any permanent incisor teeth in wear
    * Hogget ? a young male sheep or maiden ewe having no more than two permanent incisors in wear
    * Mutton ? a female (ewe) or castrated male (wether) sheep having more than two permanent incisors in wear

i lay money on it that meat is mutton, in scotland this is often the case though usually its minced mutton ie meat pie, more commonly known as a scotch pie.

nothing wrong with mutton, as long as you understand its a cheap cut, then you probably get a bit extra compared to lamb in a bir.

i guess just ask them next time you go to a bir

put mutton curry into google images and you will see many lovley curries.

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Probably a language problem going on over here but they consider Mutton to be Goat for some reason? I've never worked it out to be honest and they haven't made it particularly clear anywhere I've been excepting one place.....

I'm on to Goat next year. I'm pretty certain that is what I am eating in certain places owing to the very pink colour and taste. Great post jimmy, thanks.

i suspect its mutton ie older lamb, that is used when discribing a meat curry. This meat is far cheaper than lamb, chewier, stringy and most likely needs some delicate preparing anf cooking to make it palatable.

from wiki

* Lamb ? a young sheep under 12 months of age which does not have any permanent incisor teeth in wear
    * Hogget ? a young male sheep or maiden ewe having no more than two permanent incisors in wear
    * Mutton ? a female (ewe) or castrated male (wether) sheep having more than two permanent incisors in wear

i lay money on it that meat is mutton, in scotland this is often the case though usually its minced mutton ie meat pie, more commonly known as a scotch pie.

nothing wrong with mutton, as long as you understand its a cheap cut, then you probably get a bit extra compared to lamb in a bir.

i guess just ask them next time you go to a bir

put mutton curry into google images and you will see many lovley curries.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 09:56 PM »
The recent thread on beef curry got me reflecting on my time in the UK, and something I always wondered but never knew the answer to.

Many (if not most) of the curry houses I frequented had the following subtypes for each curry sauce: vegetable, chicken, lamb, prawn, king prawn, and "meat". I left tikka out.

What is the "meat" in a  meat curry? Beef, goat, mutton? I remember receiving all three of those as answers from my mates.

Can someone solve the meat mystery?

-- Josh

Hi Josh,

In the past it would have meant mutton, which was always used as an alternative cheaper cut than lamb and more tasty in my reckoning.

Beef was not used originally as it is supposed to be a sacred animal in India, thats why you never see them eat it. However, more modern Indian restaurants these days will use it and certainly offer English dishes like steak and chips to attract those groups of people who would like to go for an indian meal but would lose those groups of people just because one or two don't like indian food.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2009, 10:29 PM »
Quote from: 976bar
Beef was not used originally as it is supposed to be a sacred animal in India, thats why you never see them eat it

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! I wish people would stop saying that!  MOST BIRs are owned and run by MUSLIMS, NOT HINDUS!  And cows are NOT sacred to MUSLIMS (unless I'm very sadly mistaken?)  :-\

And, as has been rightly pointed out, BIRs have always (at least since the late 70s, that I know of) served steak and chips, etc, for those who don't like curries.....so why not beef in curries?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:56 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2009, 10:38 PM »
Me to actually. Stop making it sacred and start thinking about what tastes good.  ::)

Arrrrrrrrrrrgh!!! I wish people would stop saying that!  MOST BIRs are owned and run by MUSLIMS, NOT HINDUS!  And cows are NOT sacred to MUSLIMS (unless I'm very sadly mistaken?)  :-\

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2010, 08:07 PM »

I'm on to Goat next year. I'm pretty certain that is what I am eating in certain places owing to the very pink colour and taste. Great post jimmy, thanks.

swan maybe.

or flamingo

©2024 Curry Recipes