Author Topic: Madras Again  (Read 4439 times)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Madras Again
« on: December 28, 2009, 12:19 AM »
Glad that the turkey is out of the way.

Back to Madras. Here's tonights.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Madras Again
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 01:29 AM »
Looking good Josh  8)

Which recipes did you use?

I had turkey madras last night.....and probably will again tonight...and probably will again tomorrow......and....  ::)

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 06:39 AM »
Hi CA,

Which recipes did you use?

Funny you should ask. I acquired this particular recipe and method elsewhere. It involves no starting oil, and adding spices after the base. It relies on a reduction method, with added base later. I am very happy with the results. I would highly appreciate it if others could attempt and critique this method/base with where they are personally striving in BIR cookery.

If the originator of this recipe were to share it with cr0, it would be highly appreciated.

BTW, the pilau rice recipe is from the original Bruce Edwards cookery collection. It involves a quick fry of the rice in aromatics, followed by an oven bake in water and turmeric. I won't use any other recipe for rice.

Cheers,
Josh

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 12:33 PM »
the curry looks lovley, bet it was tasty

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2009, 12:51 PM »
Seeing that Bobby uses a similar method to cook rice I see no reason why a rice cooker could not be employed myself. I haven't got one but after coating the rice it should produce good results too.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2009, 10:08 PM »
Hi Josh,

Can we have the recipe for this please?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:30 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2009, 10:41 PM »
The curry looks fantastic! I do like a bit of the old food colouring the rice myself, although a lot of people don't! You have lovely fluffy separate grains there! Brilliant!

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 12:09 AM »
Can we have the recipe for this please?

The originator has been asked if the recipe can be posted here. Hopefully he will be open to doing so!

I do like a bit of the old food colouring the rice myself

So do I Bobby. The problem is that the method I use doesn't lend itself well to adding colour. The unwashed grains are fried in oil/ghee along with whole spices to remove starch. Then water is added along with turmeric and salt. This is then put in the oven while I make the curry. The only way around it I suppose would be to pull the rice out early, add colour stripes, and then put back in the oven. This would then mess with my cook time and absorption rate. I think I tried this once, and since the water wasn't fully absorbed at the bottom of the pot, the colours ran and the rice looked awful.

I recall you saying that you use a similar method (oven bake). Or do you fully cook the rice and warm in the oven?

-- Josh

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2010, 04:20 AM »
Please note, general discussion on recipes and technique in new thread here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4149.msg37560#msg37560

©2024 Curry Recipes