Author Topic: Red Pepper Puree  (Read 1795 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Red Pepper Puree
« on: January 02, 2010, 04:41 PM »
I found this recipe whilst searching the net for other things to try and made it yesterday.

I used a dried whole chilli soaked in water for 20 minutes then added it to the rest of the ingredients before roasting.

This is a wonderful red pepper, tomatoey, garlicy, spicy, hot dip/puree whatever you like to call it.

I've tried it on crackers, with vegetable sticks, had some on toast this morning, and even added it to some fresh tomato soup I made at lunchtime.

I would imagine it would be heaven to pour over a chicken breast before popping in the oven to roast for 10-15 minutes too.

Whether it would find it's way into an Indian recipe yet, I'm not too sure...........

You really need to try this its wonderful!!! :)

Laced with spices, this is warm, sweet and zingy. Make more than you need, as it is addictive and keeps well in the fridge.
4 red peppers
15 small tomatoes
1tsp dried mint
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
1 bunch of coriander
1 red chilli, whole
40ml/2fl oz extra-virgin olive oil
2tbsp red wine vinegar
A good pinch of salt

For the spice mix
1tsp cumin seeds
1tsp fennel seeds
1tsp coriander seeds
3 cardamom pods

Start with the spice mix. Toast the spices in a pan on a low heat until the seeds pop. Remove and grind in a pestle and mortar.
Now preheat the oven to 200C/400F/ Gas6. Quarter the peppers and remove the seeds and pith. Place in a baking tray along with the tomatoes, mint, garlic, coriander, chilli, vinegar and oil. Season with salt and scatter over the spice mix.

Cover tightly with foil and place on the middle shelf of the oven. Cook for 35-40 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Remove and take off the foil. Allow to cool slightly then scoop the whole lot into a food processor and blend until smooth. It will more than likely need a further pinch of salt to bring out the flavour.  :)

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Red Pepper Puree
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 06:14 PM »
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

That does sound good Bar. nice find.

Offline joshallen2k

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 09:59 PM »
I use a red pepper puree when I make a Rogan Josh. Not exactly like this recipe though. I should post it sometime.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 10:20 PM »
Sounds good Josh :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 10:45 AM »
i can imagine this being real good

off and on i've tried getting mojo rojo (a canaries dip) right. we eat it cold with hot fried chicken.

not as delux as this recipe though and will have to compare next time out.

©2024 Curry Recipes