Author Topic: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy  (Read 119089 times)

Offline KormaDown

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2015, 12:31 PM »
Hi SS, I think in some way we agree. To clarify I was just pointing out that they should be similar in the end. In other words having lots of oil in the base and then having oil in the main curry would result in it being too oily. This would mean that you would have to drain the oil as you mentioned.

Online Kashmiri Bob

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2015, 09:37 AM »
Been trying out Taz base with a couple of modifications that I feel are in line with what's used hereabouts.

No tomato.  Half the amount of water.  Including King of Spice Basaar (mild), bit of ajwain, black and white peppercorns.  Light blending.  Leaving it thick.  Really thick.   Producing some mighty fine and interesting dishes with it, stone cold from the fridge, lid-on style.

Rob  :)

littlechilie

« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2015, 12:02 PM »
Interesting findings Rob, I do like to keep my base in the fridge, sometimes up to 6 days and I find the flavour very good.
For storage I use an IceCream tub with lid on, how did you find the ajwain worked in the base? I find it has a strong flavour that penetrates.
I first discovered this spice in my mushroom fried rice when visiting North Wales, very nice report looking forwards to more of your findings.

Offline DalPuri

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2015, 02:38 PM »
Including King of Spice Basaar (mild)

Is that the blue packet Rob?
Been on the search for that for a long time!
What's the flavour like compared to the original?

littlechilie

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2015, 06:20 PM »
Here is a link for any new members picking up on Basaar mixed spice, good reviews and discussion about its uses.

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,8823.0.html

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=8515.0

Offline BRISTOL86

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: December 03, 2015, 10:32 PM »
Newbie here, making my first curry this coming weekend using a 'base' and here's how my first attempt came out. Doesn't look too dissimilar from the others so hopefully I've not gone too far wrong :-)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 11, 2018, 09:21 PM »
I make this base sauce for at least 200 covers. I roughly grind both the cumin and coriander seeds, then I wrap them in blue J Cloth and ad them to the cooking base. At the end, I simply discard them as they have served their purpose. I then blitz the base sauce with a commercial blender and then pass it through a chinois. A perfectly smooth base sauce is achieved every time...

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2020, 11:45 PM »
I made this base tonight. Excellent results in a simple lamb bhuna.

©2024 Curry Recipes