Author Topic: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy  (Read 119094 times)

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Mick's/Taz's Curry Base Gravy
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts as to why this base calls for whole seed, rather than ground. I recently talked to a guy who works in a corner shop who claims to have worked in BIRs and he was chatting about whole coriander seed and creamed coconut, although he had no real recipe. He was adamant that these were fundamentals. To be honest, I can't see why.

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 09:41 PM »
Bobby,

As far as I know some people have used ready ground cumin and corriander and others have ground their own and added to the pot with not much difference in reported taste.

I make it with whole seeds but use my jug blender, as the whole seeds are hard to blend with a normal stick blender and I thought I would burn out the motor if I carried on using it this way.

It makes me wonder too, whether it makes a difference but I kept to the Taz recipe 100% and I'm happy with the curries I can make with it.

Paul.

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2010, 12:18 PM »
every indian cornershop has a guy who thinks they know the secret bobby! mine swore it was down to cream and ghee.

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2010, 01:16 PM »
I have made this base twice now once with whole seed and the other with ground spices. I have not noticed any difference to be honest. I will be using ground spices in the future as it's easier and less time spent on blending.

Offline chanser

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 08:06 AM »
I made this base using ground spices as I didn't have any whole spices in.  Also I only have a hand blender. 

Used it for a Korma which was as close to a takeaway meal as I have had so far.  I will definately be making this base again.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2010, 09:50 PM »
i am trying this base tomorrow and will make a curry that night with it, any ideas ?? i am looking for a madras ??? whos is the best madras on here ? i am from Glasgow, scotland

Offline Derek Dansak

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2010, 09:29 AM »
as yet there is no madras recipe which is tried and tested with this base. so picking a random madras recipe may not work as expected with this base. i would adapt the taz/mick dopiaza into a madras.

Offline lagerbreath

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site but me and my other half have been trying out curries for the past 6 months or so.

This is a very basic and maybe obivous answer which I haven't seen anywhere...

How many does this basic sauce serve? and the same question applies to the Dopiaza recipe as thats my favourte curry! :)

Thanks alot

James

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2010, 06:54 PM »
Hi LG,

The base recipe makes about 3 litres of base sauce. I make a curry for me and the wife using 500 ml of this base. So this amount of base is good for 6 double curries for us.

You may have bigger appetites than us, however.

The dopiaza recipe posted uses 400 ml of base (approx) and is a large single takeaway sized portion.

Hope this helps

Paul.

Offline gazman1976

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 02:06 PM »
ok i made this base, tastes like lentil soup lol, anyone else made this base and what taste did they find ???

Will Be making a madras with it tonight

Garry

©2024 Curry Recipes