Author Topic: MSG  (Read 15377 times)

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: MSG
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2012, 02:16 PM »
I was just offering it as information Phil.
I know : I was just trying to point out that /everything/ is "a concoction" of something, and that there are times when it is better to buy a concoction than to attempt to replicate one.

Of course, if keeping to the task at hand is foremost then one could argue that suggesting the use of an ingredient that almost certainly has never seen the inside of any BIR establishment, is rather counter to that goal.  ::)
I agree : but as the issue of MSG had reared its head, it seemed only helpful to point out that there were alternatives that one might consider.  My wife, for example (75% Chinese, 25% Vietnamese) never uses MSG per se, but uses great quantities of (catering) Knorr Chicken Stock powder and thereby adds the necessary MSG content that way ...

** Phil.

Offline vinders

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 07:45 PM »
I've never had the fortune to take a good look around a BIR kitchen, but that said I would be surprised if MSG was used explicitly in BIR food across the board. I've never quite had the same raging thirst after a BIR meal that I normally do after a Chinese meal/TA. That said I have seen MSG as an ingredient on some all-purpose seasoning mixes so perhaps small quantities are introduced this way?

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2012, 12:26 PM »
As others have pointed out: MSG is actually in many instant stocks and other sauce mixes. So, you might be using MSG without knowing it.

Also, mono-sodium glutamate comes naturally in tons of food (such as Bovril and Marmite, for example). Since MSG is closely connected to the "Umami" taste I was always under the impression that you actually NEED msg (be it naturally obtained or via explicitly adding it) in Chinese cuisine in order for things to taste "authentic".

Now, whether MSG gets deliberately used in BIR curries I have no idea - I suspect other (indirect) sources of MSG, for sure, even though I can't find classic MSG sources (such as Worcestershire sauce) in any of the recipes.

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2012, 01:13 PM »
MSG isn't used in powder form in BIR to my knowledge.

Wasn't aware Worcestershire Sauce contained MSG, naturally or otherwise.

Worcestershire Sauce is used in old School recipes, like my Madras and Dhansak

I class MSG as Chinese Salt and use it occasionally like a salt, mainly in my special rice dishes, the same way I use Black Salt and Himalayan Salt, sparingly.

cheers Chewy

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2012, 02:10 PM »

We must have gone to different schools.  ;D

Offline Salvador Dhali

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2012, 02:25 PM »

We must have gone to different schools.  ;D

Interestingly (or not, depending on your viewpoint), Worcestershire Sauce is also found in recipes for traditional Indian food. (You'll find it mentioned several times in 'Prashad - Cooking With Indian Masters').

As some of the ingredients for Worcestershire Sauce came from India (Lea and Perrins dates back to 1838), and we no doubt sent it over there during the days of the British Raj, I guess that's where its use in Indian cuisine originated - and continues to this day.

As indeed it should.

Bloody good show, I say!

Offline StoneCut

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Ripped out of context from another site:

"Glutamate and Glutamic acid are naturally occurring amino acids present in a large range of foods. It is free Glutamate that provides the unami taste.

They are most concentrated in sharp cheeses (like Parmesan), yeast and yeast extracts, anchovies, fermented fish sauce (and hence Worcestershire sauce), fermented bean products (hence soy sauce), sea-weed/vegetables and savory mushrooms (like Shiitaki). Tomatoes also contain reasonable amounts, which in the quantities of a tomato sauce, have a strong unami taste.
"

Offline chewytikka

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Yes, you definitely didn't go to my BIR school SS.
But stick around, It may not be too late for you to learn the ropes ;D

SC
No escaping Glutamate then?. :P
Unami is what the old western folk call more-ish, me thinks.

You never know, Patak's might bring out a new Unami Paste :P
cheers Chewy

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2012, 12:46 AM »
As some of the ingredients for Worcestershire Sauce came from India (Lea and Perrins dates back to 1838), and we no doubt sent it over there during the days of the British Raj, I guess that's where its use in Indian cuisine originated - and continues to this day

If I recall correctly, I think Worcester Sauce was actually originally invented/discovered/created in India (by Lea and Perrins), during the Raj, and the recipe was brought back to England (by one or the other of them) for manufacture.  I recall reading (on their website, I think) that the original mixture was left and subsequently found fermenting, in a barrel, somewhere, in India.

Offline dafinchycode

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2012, 07:43 PM »
i use MSG in my curries it dose make a difference a good pinch right at the end, talking about making you thirsty pizza from my local TA wakes me up at night or is that garlic salt.

©2024 Curry Recipes