Author Topic: The Balti Kitchen base sauce  (Read 4794 times)

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
The Balti Kitchen base sauce
« on: August 16, 2005, 08:00 PM »
Made The Balti Kitchen base and pre-cooked chicken. It turned out looking just like it did on the video although the colours on my phone don't do it justice. Although it tastes very good it has a certain something missing from the restaurant taste but is still worth a try as it is one of the good ones.

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
Re: The Balti Kitchen base sauce
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 08:39 PM »
Nice pic for a phone  8)

It looks similar to one of the base sauces I made from the 100 best balti books, very quick to make but as you say it lacked "something" compared to my normal gravy.  I might have to give this one a go though to see what its like, would you make it again Ray?

Offline raygraham

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 06:39 AM »
Yes, I would certainly make it again. I feel it is a good example of how a base should be done and worth working on for a better end result. I personally liked it and my friends thought it was from a restaurant so that says "wer'e getting there"! However, I have shared this recipe with a few on this site with mixed comment. I agree it misses something but can't put my finger on what. I think it lacks certain spices as the Onion, Garlic, Ginger mix seems right. I will experiment a little. My next project is Bruce Edwards base. This on first glance has a lot more going in the base at the start like Carrot, Celery, Radishes Peppers etc which must lend itself to a base with more "depth".
Interested to hear your comments on the 100 Best Balti book which I also have?
I am typing a lot of the recipes from the book at the minute to share with others and intend posting them on the site soon.
P.S. This book is rare and was on Amazon today at ?193 and is like gold-dust to find. Look after it!

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 10:58 AM »
P.S. This book is rare and was on Amazon today at ?193 and is like gold-dust to find. Look after it!

Yeah I belive it's because it's gone out of print although it does pop up on ebay now and again for a reasonable amount.

Offline Mark J

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2005, 09:16 PM »
Ive got the 100 best balti books, I suspect it will be very close to the kushi balti book (its a bloody good read), I have posted the base sauce on this site (its very similar to the lamb pre cook sauce in the balti kitchen video #2)

©2024 Curry Recipes