Author Topic: Dipuraja's Naan Bread  (Read 10893 times)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Naan Bread
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2010, 04:18 PM »
Iv got a Large George Foreman perfect size for nan . Do you think this would work ?

I suppose it depends on whether your nan likes George Foreman or not. I suggest a light afternoon tea at a country tea room first, just to get them introduced.  ::)

Seriously though, I've yet to try it on my pannini press but I think if your George Foreman grill has flat plates and is , as you say, large, then I don't see why not.

Only one way to find out.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 11:04 AM »
This still intrigues me. It would be good if VC would come back to give us more info. As SS points out the bread surely turns out flat or squashed. Unless the toaster has a hollowed out interior to allow the contents to rise. I also have an unused George Forman but it has those ridged plates to burn into meat and again would probably not allow the typical bubbling on a Nan. pP

Online Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2010, 11:20 AM »
As SS points out the bread surely turns out flat or squashed. Unless the toaster has a hollowed out interior to allow the contents to rise.

How about an 8Kw wok burner and a Habitat chicken brick ?
** Phil.

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2010, 12:41 PM »
You havn't got to close the lid on a george foreman grill, maybe you just do one side at a time.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 05:40 AM »
No, it doesn't flatten them, the lid is hinged and can be set at different heights, it is just above the naan as it cooks and where the lumpy bits rise it scorches them to look just like those done in a tandoor.

If you follow the link from my first post on this thread you can see what they look like.

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 07:58 AM »
My one looks like the one on the far right, except with flat plates.

http://www.sandwichtoasters.net/

As you can just make out the top plate locks at varying heights to make cheese on toast etc.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 11:34 AM »
Thanks for coming back VC. Of all the methods found on the site for cooking Nans how would you rate your results. Are you doing it this way for convenience and perhaps sacrificing quality or is it much better cooking them this way than others you have tried. PP

Offline Vindaloo-crazy

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2010, 12:39 PM »
100% better than oven with much more control than a grill, you can get the underside crisp while getting a really nice scorched effect on the top. Not having access to a tandoor I couldn't compare it but it's the closest I've come to getting a real BIR naan (and I've tried a lot).

The naan comes out lovely and soft with a crisp underneath. Brush with some garlic, butter and coriander and they're great.

Offline Panpot

• Spice Master Chef
  • CONTRIBUTING MEMBER
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Thanks VC sounds like you have cracked it. PP

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Today I tried the recipe for  Dipuraja's Naan Bread as at post #1.

I thought the ingredients looked like a recipe for scones - interesting that SS should mention afternoon tea earlier in this thread - and they came out with the texture and taste of scones. They were nothing like BIR naans.

©2024 Curry Recipes