Author Topic: biryani  (Read 20535 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: biryani
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 08:31 AM »
millsoni,

i can see i'm going to have to make biryani again this week. i'll try the lime juice and the mint/coriander in the marinade and the salt in the rice boiling.

on the onions i need to be clearer - the fried onion is as u say an essential part. as long as u pre fry them to caramelise yourself then either way is fine (in the rice or on the top - for me i just prefer it to be in the rice). the comment related to bought "fried onion" that i tried sometime ago - it would be rubbish in this dish. the onion in the video rightly or wrongly reminded me of the bought fried onion.

on the whole spices i've tried mace just recently and decided i don't like. black cardamom has left the store cupboard too. the rest of the spices sit well.

the black salt is something i'm struggling with at the mo - whether it adds anything or not - what's u're feeling.

best wishes,

Offline millsoni

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 09:32 AM »
I also thought the fried onions looked dried and bought but fried my own which I think is essential.  I didn't use black cardamoms as I don't have any and prefer green ones anyway, so in they went.  Black salt is not in my cupboard and being in Spain sourcing ingredients can be very difficult so left that out too.  Whether it  is distinctive and adds something I couldn't say.

Looking forward to your thoughts on the finished dish.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 08:39 AM »
millsoni,

i made the biryani again this week (3 weeks in a row). i added the lime juice, mint (dried 1 tsp) into the chicken marinade. it worked for me and is incorporated as std going fwd.

i also tried adding salt to the rice boiling water - added 3 off 3 finger & thumb pinches - tasted a bit like sea water. i thought made no difference.

i also added 12 off chopped whole almonds into the rice at the assembly. the almonds need chopping manually - i tried using the coffee grinder and disaster. i did not feel they worked that well as the cooking softened them too much - i will add as a garnish on serving in future.

my interest now is in converting the same taste into a "BIR" or quicker method of preparing. the rice and marinade are fine but i can't see BIR making the "bhuna" and then putting in a pot for 50 mins.

ps on the banana i've settled on slice, quick squirt lemon dressing and 2 mins microwave as a compromise.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 09:50 AM »

ps on the banana i've settled on slice, quick squirt lemon dressing and 2 mins microwave as a compromise.

Microwaved banana, I shudder to think LOL! Further thoughts on this banana business, all the BIRs, back in the day, used to do Chicken Maryland (fried chicken like KFC) for the girlie wimps who wouldn't tackle a curry and this had a banana fritter with it, plus there was another Indian dish that had it as well, Ceylon I think but could have been something else, I'm going back 35+ years here!

P.S. JerryM, that club, the Mardi Gras by any chance?

Regards
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 10:51 AM »
CoR,

appreciate info on the banana - the flour batter was just not cutting it for me. rather than nothing i reluctantly went easy way out. i make my own LFC (posted) and now that u say this i think would be a much better fit.

ps had to ask my good lady - not the Mardi but the cabin on wood street (parallel to bold).

all the best

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Ah yes, the Cabin, remember it well! Used to start off with 'a few scoops' in the Swan just down the road and head up to the Cabin for a few more after chucking out time, was the only club in Liverpool that sold beer in pints at that time, classy!

Regards
CoR

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 06:06 PM »
CoR,

can see u had a real good time as we did. we often nip back for a day out - would love the M62 to extend further into the centre though as the last stretch is a bit of drag.

all the best,

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2010, 01:15 PM »
Here's a sample of the real thing - a BIR chicken biriani as sold in my neck of the woods. They always come with an accompanying vegetable sauce.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2010, 07:09 AM »
George,

looks real good to me (the rice bit) - my preference is to ask for plain curry sauce (madras hot) instead of the veg u get as standard.

interesting that the oil is yellow in the veg version.

i've now settled on Dipuraja's method of making.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2010, 11:12 AM »
i've now settled on Dipuraja's method of making.

Before I search for his recipe/video, is that the biriani (rice) part you mean, or does Dipuraja show how to make the accompanying curry?

©2024 Curry Recipes