Author Topic: biryani  (Read 20532 times)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: biryani
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2010, 07:17 AM »
George,

it's a bit of a mix and match. Dipuraja shows how to make the rice part and the curry part. However there is no pillau rice recipe so i've been using KD1's. Also i already have the plain sauce sorted re Secret Santa's post on chilli sauce. Dipuraja's sauce is for vegetable which may be what u prefer (instead of the plain curry sauce version).

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4518.0

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4076.0

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 01:54 PM »
There's a couple of new videos up on this site for biryani fans:

Biryani: http://www.kitchenstreaming.com/play.php?vid=141

Veg Sauce: http://www.kitchenstreaming.com/play.php?vid=142

This style of biryani is closer to how I make it as it adds a ladle of base sauce. I think the other biryani recipes we've seen only use mix powder and no base sauce and this doesn't produce the style of biryani I prefer.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 03:17 PM »
They used microwaved pillau rice, which is going to end up a soggy mess and it didn't look like they tempered the spices anything like enough, for my taste, in the veg curry. Pretty low end T/A stuff, if you ask me.

Regards
CoR

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 03:26 PM »
They used microwaved pillau rice, which is going to end up a soggy mess

Not at all CoR, microwaved (precooked) rice turns out with very nicely separated grains, no question about it.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Hi Guys

Not at all CoR, microwaved (precooked) rice turns out with very nicely separated grains, no question about it.

I have to agree, and I think it's a method that the BIR's seem to be using these day's.

Two good uses for a microwave, reheating rice and warming up ya brew :)

Ray :)

Offline Curry Barking Mad

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2010, 06:25 PM »
They used microwaved pillau rice, which is going to end up a soggy mess and it didn't look like they tempered the spices anything like enough, for my taste, in the veg curry. Pretty low end T/A stuff, if you ask me.

Regards
CoR

As always , quick to knock other people's efforts, based on your limited knowledge,
Mick

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2010, 09:20 PM »
As always , quick to knock other people's efforts, based on your limited knowledge,
Mick

Mick am I right in saying that it's your camera work on that site?

If so do you know what they put in the onion paste. I see it added to the vindaloo and no other spicing goes in, apart from what's in the base and the obvious chilli powder, so I assume they have mix powder in the onion paste?

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Hello SS,
Those particular videos that you linked are mine but the others you refer to are from a member on another curry site,
Cheers,

Mick

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2010, 09:23 AM »
i've only viewed the biryani video.

the main difference for me is the chef spoon of base. i can't really understand what the addition is doing - other than to add a tad more flavour.

i'm used to quite a light dry fluffy rice in biryani and i feel the quicker less frying approach of Dipuraja seem to suit our needs.

all interesting stuff and ea to their own. i'd not thought to add coriander but will do in future thanks to the prompt of the video.

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2010, 12:55 PM »

the main difference for me is the chef spoon of base. i can't really understand what the addition is doing - other than to add a tad more flavour.

Hi Jerry,
I did ask about this and Shah told me that the reduction time also allows for extra cooking time to reheat the chicken correctly rather than just frying in oil for the time needed which may burn the spices,
Mick

©2024 Curry Recipes