Author Topic: London style Chicken Dansak  (Read 24471 times)

Offline Gezh

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: London style Chicken Dansak
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 11:52 AM »
Many thanks for what looks like a good recipe. I appreciate the way you've explained some of the rationale in your thinking - well set out.

George, I hope someone tries this out and gets back with the results. As I understand it, you live very close to me, so you should be expecting the same from a Dansak as myself.

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2011, 07:37 PM »
I love Dansak, and tried this version twice in the last couple of days. 

First attempt using a KD base and a basic masoor dall was pretty good.

Second attempt I added 1 tsp soy sauce and 1 tsp tomato ketchup and the result was even better.

Got a lovely smokey, dark, sweet flavour that I associate with a dansak.

Thanks for the recipe - got to tweek it to make 40 portions for a pub curry!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2011, 07:50 PM »
Hi Tom,

Good news that you've found an improvement, especially using soy sauce, good work.

I think this account typifies the regional variances with our curries though.  Up here in Manchester I wouldn't describe our Dhansak's as 'smokey', more sweet n sour but not hot, as seems to be the case down south.

On the menus up here, Dhansak is described as such: Prepared with oriental spices, a mild yet tangy sauce with a delicious piquant richness, cooked with garlic, pinapples and lentils, flavoured with coriander

Ray :)

Offline Tomdip

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 11:10 AM »
yep, soy sauce is a nice ingredient.

Found a chilli paneer recipe years ago which was really minimal in its spicing - just chilli puree, ketchup and soy sauce.  Was amazed by how 'Indian' it tasted.

I find Dansaks to be just short of a Madras in heat in my travels.  Pineapple seems to be a disappearing ingredient over the years.

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2011, 11:46 AM »
Giving this a whirl today.  Not had any joy with the previous Dhansak recipe I tried on here... mainly because I detest pineapple and that recipe called for loads of pineapple juice.  This looks and sounds promising.

The amount of base is unclear (and tarka dahl for that matter) but I will just have an educated guess!!  ;D

Offline parker21

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 02:02 PM »
hi robbo try watching here first http://cbm-mick.blogspot.com/ . i know there is a dhansak recipe and well worth the watch too! and there is a recipe for tarka dhal too also as well ;)

regards
gary

Offline Robbo1979

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2011, 07:42 AM »
Made this yesterday... it was bloody ace!  Thanks!

I used the SnS base and doubled everything up for two people...  worked a treat.  Thanks!  ;D

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2011, 08:25 PM »
I made this recipe this evening and it is excellent!

Offline spiceyokooko

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 10:37 PM »
Interesting use of amchoor in this recipe, I think I might try adding some of that to my next dhansak.

I don't think I've ever had a dhansak with pineapple chunks in it!

I make mine in almost the same way as CA's Madras recipe but add about 2 tablespoons of tamarind juice just after the tomato puree stage and about 2 heaped teaspoons of palm sugar after the lentils (dhal) goes in and about a tablespoon of lemon juice right at the end when it rests and the chopped coriander goes in.

It tastes hot, sweet and sour!

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 09:26 PM »
hi robbo try watching here first http://cbm-mick.blogspot.com/ . i know there is a dhansak recipe and well worth the watch too! and there is a recipe for tarka dhal too also as well ;)

I'm sorry to say I disagree. I tried the CBM dhansak from Fatima restaurant this evening and it reminded me of some of the worst dhansaks I've had from BIRs. It lacked any of the interesting flavours which, for me, make a really good dhansak.

I will probably order dhansak at our London meeting in 10 days time. I hope the restaurant which Phil recommends can make a dhansak which tastes a lot better than the one from Fatima restaurant, as written down by CBM.

©2024 Curry Recipes