Author Topic: "Hopeful" newcomer  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Hopeful

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
"Hopeful" newcomer
« on: March 25, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Hi All,

I called myself "Hopeful", because that's what I am. I'm 61 years old, retired, and one of my passtimes is cooking...anything.

I started enjoying curry in my late teens, you know the scenario... a night out with boys in the boozer, followed by a curry in the local "Indian". I loved that brown curry sauce they used to serve. Not what you would call "authentic" these days. In fact, no matter what you ordered, it all looked the same!. Of course the various menu choices tasted a bit different from each other, depending how "hot" you wanted it.

You could even buy it in a tin, in later years. Veeraswami's was my favourite brand, but there were others, all with that classic taste, texture and aroma.

But sadly, things have changed. Go to an Indian restaurant these days, and apart from a bewildering array of choices, nothing tastes the same. Even the old favourites like Madras or Vindaloo, are different and in may view, not as good. I know I risk being called a philistine, by the purists, but I don't care

My quest is to re-create that "old-fashioned" BIR style curry sauce of the '60s and '70s in my kitchen at home.

Someone, somewhere must be harbouring the secret of that sauce. So where can I find it, and how do I cook it.

As I said, I'm "Hopeful"! ???

I've read loads of books, tried loads of recipes, and none of them come anywhere near

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: "Hopeful" newcomer
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Welcome onboard Hopeful, your definitely in the right place. :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 11:48 AM »
Hi Hopeful...welcome aboard!

There are quite a few members chasing that taste of yesteryear so you're in good company...I find that this base gravy comes closest to the old style flavour (it's taken from a Bradford curry house) http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1894.0

Looking forward to hearing of your curry exploits ;)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 12:32 PM »
Hi hopeful,

From what I have heard the reason that the 60's and 70's taste has been lost is primarily down to health and safety regulations. Oil has to be changed regularly, raw food can only be marinated for a certain amount of time e.t.c.

I think that taste has probably gone forever but with it has gone the amount of food poisoning cases that used to be synonymous with Indian takeaways.

As Domi mentioned you aren't alone in your quest. Lots of people want that 70's / 80's taste. I hope for your sake my theory is wrong.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:27 PM »
Hopeful,

u can add Secret Santa and myself to the list as u're biggest fans. we long to trudge back in time on the curry cooking front.

for me at the mo i've been more concerned with mataching current BIR taste (very few  side by side opportunities otherwise). hopefully as u say we may just collectively get somewhere close.

a place in the midlands (Dilshad) is still very close and a restaurant in my home town warrington (descended from the Hilal) is very close too. alas gradual erosion is taking place though even in these restaurants with the pedigree of a long successful history.

©2024 Curry Recipes