Author Topic: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)  (Read 51287 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)
« on: March 25, 2010, 07:34 PM »
I would like to thank both the owners and staff of the Indian Garden in Burgess Hill, for making me feel welcome and for the opportunity to see this Kitchen Demonstration. They were very supportive and answered any questions I had for them. I was even invited to make a few Bhaji as well.

Onion Bhaji Kitchen Demo

The demo was for an entire market bag of onions 25kg, these were halved and sliced and split between to containers. One holding about 3/5 the other 2/5. They were prepared the evening before and stored overnight in the fridge. This is only to do with volume and time aspect but may have an effect on the onion.

The ingredient list below is based on the larger pot of onion as shown in the pictures below.

Hf = Handful

Ingredients

15 kg Onions
8 Eggs
2 kg Gram Flour
1.5 kg Potato
1 Corriander bunch
1 Hf Aniseed
1 Hf Hot Chilli Powder
1 Hf Spice Mix (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4442.msg40694#new)
1 Hf Salt
3/4 tsp Egg Yellow Colouring

Method

The handful of Fennel was added to the onions prior to being bought into the kitchen.

The Coriander was washed and chopped, I noted the stalks were included.

The potato (which were described as large baking) were sliced into match sticks.

Both were added to the pot. I have posted this image for you to get an idea of how much potato was used.

The two mixed through. This shot gives you an indication of how much onion there was.

Next they added a handful of spice mix. This was then also mixed through.

They were very insistent that each added spice was followed by a mix. This is after a handful of chilli powder was added.

Once the salt had been through which was after the mix and chilli, they added the colour and the 8 eggs. (you can see how little colour is used). Again, this was mixed through thoroughly.

The final ingredient was the Gram Flour. This was mixed through in two stages. The guy making the bhaji mix must have some serious arm muscle as you could see how hard it was to continually turn the mix.

They explained that it has to be done by hand to prevent the onion from giving too much liquid back into the mix.

Once the mix was ready, oil was heated. I asked how hot and they replied, just enough to make a potato matchstick bubble instantly. I later concluded that the temperature was around 160c.

With wet hands, a portion of mix was rounded over and over. He was careful not to squeeze the mixture but too form it into a ball the size of a tennis ball.

These were dropped into the oil one after the other until the pan was full. They remained in the pan for an estimated 8-10 mins, before being removed to drain and cool.

Here is a batch having been allowed to drain off the fat.

And again close up.

Surprisingly, I was offered one to try and they were cooked through. Though the final cook would set the inside a little firmer.

The centre was cooked with a little give, the bhaji was very tasty and quite spicy. Apparently when the cool and rest for a day, the spice mellows down. I assume as the onion and batter adsorbs it.

From the demo I have tried to conclude the measurements for making at home. I have posted these on my onion bhaji quest here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4396.msg40688#msg40688

Please feel free to discuss the measurements.

I hope this provides the insight we have all been looking for.

Cheers,

Malc :)

Recipe for smaller portion moved to here by CA:

I have just returned from my local restaurant where as some of you know, I have been for a demo of how to make a BIR Onion Bhaji. Gob smacked is what I am now.

For those of you who said I had too many ingredients, you were right. I am now going to refine my recipe to something like:

This is a sneak preview of the Bhaji Demo I am going to right up with pictures, this evening.

IG Onion Bhaji (Broken down from Kitchen Demo)

Ingredients

4 Onions (size about 5cm diameter)
1 - 2 Cups Gram Flour
1 tbl Corriander Leaf
1/2 Sml Potato
1 Egg Beaten
1/2 tsp Aniseed
1/2 tsp Hot Chilli Powder
1/2 tsp IG Spice Mix (here: http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4442.0)
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Drop Yellow Food Colouring (Optional)

Method

Half and slice the onions, cut the potato into match sticks add the Fennel and Corriander and mix. Add the Chilli and Spice Mix and mix. Add the colouring if using and the egg and salt and mix. Add the
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 03:36 PM by Cory Ander »

Offline Unclebuck

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Good effort Axe, thanks ill try these soon  8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 08:36 PM by Unclebuck »

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:28 PM »
Axe,

Absolutely excellent report.  What an accommodating restaurant this is, not only giving you a demo but letting you take photo's too.

What was the chef called, Popeye? ;D  He must have some forearm strength!

How did you rate them Axe?  did they have the taste?  They certainly look the part.

Ray

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 08:39 PM »
What a great post, I will have to try this out soon, in a smaller quantity of course

thanks

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 08:59 PM »
Axe,

Just noticed something;  in photo 1, there appears to be cumin seeds?  Can you confirm this, and if so, at what quantity?

Ray

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Hold on,

Ok, I see now.  In photo one is the onion and the fennel seeds right?

The reason it wasn't as obvious at first Axe, is because at a distance, sliced fennel can look very much like onion, especially when mixed with onion.

You might want to edit the ingredients to read 'fennel seeds'  :)

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 09:08 PM »
Ray,

The seeds in Pic#1 are actually Fennel Seeds. They do appear to be slightly smaller than the seeds I have in my cupboard. When I asked what they were, the answer was 'aniseed'. It may be possible there is another seed that they refer to as aniseed as opposed to Fennel, but for me at least, Fennel fits the bill. I have no reason to doubt them.

In the hi-res picture, you can clearly see the make up of the seed. If anyone wants to see this, I am happy to email it on or photobucket it.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:10 PM »
Ray, just caught the second post, Ingredients updated, sorry for the confusion.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:18 PM »
Hi Axe,

lol, no probs mate.  My peepers are bad but I was sure that I couldn't see fennel in there ha.

Ray

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:43 PM »
Ray,

Its all good, your were right to point it out, twice! :P ;)

©2024 Curry Recipes