Author Topic: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)  (Read 51943 times)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: IG Onion Bhaji (Kitchen Demonstration)
« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2010, 09:03 PM »
Spinach eh? I'll mention it to the wife, I reckon she'll want to try that. Glad it worked for you Bobby. :)

Didn't know you were married to Olive Oyl, Axe :P

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 16, 2010, 09:10 PM »

Axe neither did I, her low smoking point must be a nightmare! :P

Jesus wept, these Bhajis have got me farting like a b****rd! :D

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 16, 2010, 10:26 PM »
pmsl that must be a side-effect of the spinach then 'cos there's been no use for corks in our house this week lol

I take it you'll not be giving the sprout bhajis a try out then, BB? ;D

Offline Bobby Bhuna

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 16, 2010, 10:33 PM »
pmsl that must be a side-effect of the spinach then 'cos there's been no use for corks in our house this week lol

Domi, if it'll get you to pop a cork up my offending orifice, I'll get the oil heated! Hahaha! ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 17, 2010, 12:12 PM »

I had to chuckle. I swear she is addicted to spinach though.  ::)

Bobby, I guess you added to much extra spicing, that'll learn ya.  :P

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 17, 2010, 02:51 PM »

Domi, if it'll get you to pop a cork up my offending orifice, I'll get the oil heated! Hahaha! ;D

PMSL ;D You get the oil and I'll get me calfing gloves out :P

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 03, 2010, 02:32 AM »
I made these the other day (snooker ball size).  This is what I found:

• Colour and texture were very good indeed (i.e. nice and golden and crispy)
  • They were cooked very nicely throughout (i.e. no "mushiness" in the middle).  I put this down to the minimal use of liquids/pastes in the recipe
  • The taste (i.e. starchiness) of the potato was quite evident (an Indian friend of mine even picked up on it immediately...unprompted!).  It's not something I've ever detected in a BIR onion bhaji before....sorry to repeat that
  • They were quite bland (I think more salt would be beneficial)
  • They were "delicately" flavourled (I think more spice would be beneficial)

I also made a batch (at the same time) using Dipuraja's recipe (here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4429.msg40528#msg40528) and a batch using my own recipe (I haven't posted this, but it is somewhat similar to Chilli Prawn's recipe here:  http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=1334.msg11866#msg11866)

Three other people sampled each of the three batches (they didn't know which was which, just that each was made using a different recipe) and gave me their views:

• One preferred Dipuraja's because they thought they were most flavoursome (albeit a little mushy, inside, I think because of the paste used)
  • Two (including my Indian friend) preferred mine because they thought they were overall the best taste and texture

Having said that, they enjoyed them all!

Personally, I think the colour and texture of those made using this recipe were the best.  I feel that a little more salt, and significantly more spice, would improve them. I remain unconvinced about adding potato.  I am not sure if that's why their colour and texture were better or not (Dipuraja's were a little mushy inside and they contain potato...and paste).  As I've said, I've currently put this down to the minimal amount of liquid/paste in the recipe.

I will make them again, with more salt and spice, and compare them with and without potato...

Thanks for sharing the recipe Axe  8)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 03, 2010, 07:32 AM »
CA,

it is real good fun doing such like comparison. i think we did Dipuraja v Chilli Prawn and Dipuraja v IG. there was no overall consensus in our family with a split vote down to personal preference.

the important thing now is that i think our bhajis for sure give the best BIR's a run for their money.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 03, 2010, 09:03 AM »
I agree Jerry, my bhajis now beat most BIR's. I think the biggest lesson learned from IG is the cooking method. Once that is perfected the mix of spices can be changed around depending on personal taste. I now swear by a recipe that is somewhere between Dip and IG. I like the added taste of the Kashmiri Masala but I also love the subtle heat of the aniseed.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 03, 2010, 09:33 AM »
Thanks for the comments CA, i'm glad you gave them a go. Spicing level is definitely a personal choice. I always add fresh green chilli to the recipe, which I find gives it a little more body and certainly bite, without affecting the balance of flavours too much. I would certainly recommend trying this. I have tried adding more spice mix but find this makes the taste heavy and detracts from the delicate flavours from the aniseed.

©2024 Curry Recipes