Author Topic: Dipuraja's Plain Paratha  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's Plain Paratha
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:18 AM »

To make paratha you will need a ball of chappatti dough now roll it flat,brush with butter ghee,then roll into a sausage with your hand,then make into a coil now use rolling pin and roll flat like a chappatti,now heat your chappatti pan for about 3-4mins on medium gas mark,then place your paratha on the pan cook either side untill the dough starts to rise. To finish of your paratha brush bouth side with pure butter ghee,then cook each side for A minute.

How to make paratha
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 04:30 AM by Cory Ander »

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Plain Paratha
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 11:12 AM »
this is sort of how i cook my naan bread in principle.

i'd not thought of trying chappatti and will have to get some of the chappatti flour.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Jerry,

This technique is what I was trying to explain to Axe for his keema naan's.  Add the keema before rolling it up in to a swiss roll, then proceed as Dipuraja does, making a spiral and rolling out again.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Razor,

i'll give it a try - i feel as if it won't work or produce what i'm used to - the keema won't stay as a thin sheet inside the naan.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Hi Jerry

I think it depends on what your interpretation of keema naan is really.  My TA's are naan bread with keema baked into the bread, whereas some are almost like a 'stuffed' naan.  Same with paratha's, you either get two paratha's rolled out together, with the meat in between or one made the way Dipuraja doeas but with the meat rolled up before rolling the dough into a spiral.

Might be worth trying though?

Ray

Online mickdabass

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2010, 06:30 PM »
Jerry - I tried some East end brand chapati flour but found it had too much of a wholemeal type flavour - not at all bir so I switched to normal plain flour. Mix with some water and some salt until right consistency. left it to rest in the fridge for about half an hour and then dry fried the chapatis - turning every minute or so until done. Pretty damn close to the real McCoy!

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 08:25 AM »
mickdabass,

i'm not well up on chapati. my best mate always has them in preference to naan. they've always seemed pretty wholemeal - certainly brown. are u suggesting using plain white flour or wholemeal flour or even a mixture of both.

ps reason i ask is i generally make my own wraps for bbq from plain white flour along the lines u say (based on mexican) but would not consider them chapati like.

Offline CurryOnRegardless

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 10:26 AM »
Hi guys,

Chappati flour or atta as it's called is a mix of plain and wholemeal flour. The best stuff is Chakki Atta which is stone ground and seems much finer, well worth trying IMO.

Cheers
CoR

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36 AM »
I shall look out for this, I have become quite a fan of Chapatti lately.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 01:10 PM »
Guy's

I prefer Chapatti or Paratha to naans.  I've come to the conclusion that I don't really like naan bread except for ones I used to get from my old TA which has long gone now.  They were quite thin, crispy and not at all puffed in any way.  They were also yellow in colour.  One of the guys there did write the recipe down for me but I lost it about 15 years ago.

If I remember rightly, the colour came from the use of a lot of vegetable oil, much more than the quantities in most recipes on here but, I doubt that's where all the colour came from.  I know it wasn't through food colouring and I don't remember any turmeric going in there.  I've never been able to recreate them.

Any thoughts?

Ray :)

p.s.  I realise that this is probably in the wrong section now but I was only going to make a small comment on parathas :-\
« Last Edit: April 09, 2010, 01:31 PM by Razor »

©2024 Curry Recipes