Author Topic: Dipuraja's Keema Naan  (Read 6874 times)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's Keema Naan
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2010, 10:49 AM »
What! you mean you don't have two or three other chefs cooking in your kitchen? :P

Sorry Chris, it wasn't meant to be a criticism. I just thought it was strange that he mentions using his tandoor but we should wrap them in foil and put in the oven.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 03:23 PM »
The  keema is usually pre cooked, or so it looks at my local, that's why its crumbly and not paste.

the mystery gets deeper for me. looking fwd to what commis finds out.

i'm going to have to give Dipuraja's recipe ago. i know that it's a tad harder than what it looks in the video. i'm amazed that he manages to prevent the keema showing through.

before seeing this my conclusion had been that some pre cooking was needed.

also in the video it looks as if the keema has separated ie not a continuous sheet of keema which is what i know as keema naan.

a real good leg up the ladder though.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 03:28 PM »
If you look carefully, you can see some of his keema showing through. Might be due to his haste to get the video done as has been mentioned before.

I fully agree with your statements about the mince being separated, as I am used to the keema being a continuous sheet of meet through the bread. I am still convinced that the meat is reduced to a paste and not left as a coarse mince.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 03:46 PM »
I am still convinced that the meat is reduced to a paste and not left as a coarse mince.

without doubt for me too.

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Jerry and Axe - How do you guys cook your Naans? I've tried using a hot oven (circa 280 C) on both a pizza stone and a pizza tray, neither produced good results.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Chris I am but a beginner at cooking naan and so far have not produced any resounding successes. I tried the no yeast dough as I didn't have time to do a yeast version.

I have an older style combination cooker at home. Fan assisted oven below which has always done good pizza so it should do for the naan. But to recreate the naan as closely as a tandoor oven, I am going to try using the top combi grill oven. Turn the grill full up with the door closed to pre-heat the oven and get everything nice and toasty, then pop the dough in with the grill still on.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 06:33 PM »
Chris,

i cook them on a heavy cast iron large frying pan (creuset) on medium heat on my 3.0kw hob, about 2mins a side.

the thing i've found (actually from pizza) is that to get softness the dough must be quite wet initially and then dries out during kneading. for SR dough u don't need knead though - this makes the dough very sticky and u have to get it just right and use the "Pat a Cake" to finish stretching them after intially rolling out. it's not easy to do but with practise it does work.

i pro rata from a basic recipe as follows: flour 455g, no salt, milk 100g, water 200g

i add dry garlic granules and yogurt (no that i've got frozen).

for posh naan i go the whole hog and make yeast naan from the KD1 book.

i can take some pics if needed on my next go.

i've based on UB's post http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2547.0.html
and one by Davy http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php/topic,2637.0.html

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 06:49 PM »
for posh naan i go the whole hog and make yeast naan from the KD1 book.

Jerry, I don't suppose you could list that recipe in the Ultimate Naan topic could you? I've been scouring the net looking for recipes and found literally hundreds of variations. I'm becoming Naan Recipe Blind!!!

On conclusion to my test in the aforementioned topic, Dipurajah's whilst producing a fine bread is not, representative of a Naan.

©2024 Curry Recipes