Author Topic: Dipuraja's C.T.M.  (Read 10871 times)

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
Dipuraja's C.T.M.
« on: April 11, 2010, 11:36 AM »
 ;DCan i just say if anyone thinks using pre made paste in their curry is wrong - Please at least give it a try, I made Dipuraja's C.T.M. and his Onion Bhaji last night !...
This is it --This is the one !
It had THE TASTE
It had THE TEXTURE
It had THE SMELL
It was better than any C.T.M i have ever had --For Real .
The onion Bhaji was perfect and when frying the oil gives off that smell we all know as THAT MISSING SOMETHING. (I've kept mine).
I did everything the same as Dipuraja apart from,
Heat oil first and add ingredient's one at a time,
Bruce Edwards Base ,
The addition of chopped boiled egg,
All ground almond - instead of mix with coconut,
But his pre made Masala sauce is the key(for me)
Please i recommend you all give it a go....DIPURAJA IS KING...

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Dipuraja's C.T.M.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2010, 11:54 AM »
Hi Plugsy,

I'm glad that you also had a good result with Dipurajas CTM, but to be fair, you have used a different base and put in a couple of extras like the eggs and so on.  I'm not knocking that for one minute friend but, I think, if we are to assess Dipurajas recipe, it really needs to be made to spec first, then add the alternatives on the next attempt.

With that said, you've had a go at the recipe and come back with a positive testimony, which is great.

Well done,

Ray :)

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 12:15 PM »
Plugsy, have you tied the IG Bhaji recipe I posted up?

Despite my signature, I don't have a problem with recipes using paste, but I would prefer to know how to do it without.

Dipurajah is certainly giving people something to talk about. Anything I can learn from him and his recipes is a good thing, especially if it tastes good too. I shall always be seeking the older style methods of BIR though.

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2010, 12:19 PM »
Hi Ray,
I think that is a very fair and correct comment----but---
IT WAS STILL THE BEST ONE YET ..

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Hi Axe,
Most people on this web site are all talking about trying to re create that B.I.R taste.
According to a lot of things i've seen or heard all B.I.R use some sort of paste or another -- maybe we need a touch of paste -- maybe thats the missing flovour,
i'll be sure to try ig bhaji though ---Thanx.  ps,
up until now i've never used paste either (but i know which had the best result). 

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2010, 12:40 PM »
I can't fault your logic it sounds square to me. Let me know how you get on with the IG Bhaji. :)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Hi Plugsy,

Another way to explain Axe's stance on pastes.  Most of us on the forum believe that there are two styles of BIR cooking.  Old style, 70's 80' and possibly very early 90's, and new way wave or modern BIR, early 90's on.

The two styles do vary in flavour.  The earlier BIR food, in my opinion, tasting much fresher and more savoury.

Many members also believe (me included) that the introduction of pastes has contributed to this new flavour in BIR cooking today.  Now this flavour is not at all bad, and if you didn't frequent BIR's before the early 90's, then it's what you will be used to.

But there is a very different flavour these days to what I remember, from when I had my first taste of BIR.

At the end of the day, a paste is an emulsification of herbs and spices, usually blended with oil so, it's probably always been around in one form or other but, because the big players such as Pataks, Pasco and Laziza are selling these pastes wholesale, the restaurants using them, all seem to have a very similar taste to each other (new wave) which stands to reason if they are all using the same pastes.  Whereas, the older style BIR's will have made their pastes themselves, using their own (secret) ingredients.

Do you get where I'm coming from?

Pastes are absolutely fine, and convenient and could possibly work out cheaper, but there is just something about the older style BIR flavour, that is really worth trying to replicate!

Ray

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2010, 12:55 PM »
I will do axe, you have worked very hard for us to see the demonstration,
These will be the next ones i do ---Thanx.

Offline plugsy

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2010, 01:03 PM »
Ray,
WOW, Honestly i didn't know that!
now i can see your point , you are very passionate about your style and i admire that.
do you have a good C.T.M recipe i can try please.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2010, 01:11 PM »
Hi Plugsy,

There are plenty on the forum and if the Dipuraja is to your taste,you may have found 'the one' already :)

I'm not a big CTM fan to be honest, but here's one that I use from time to time.  It's quite complicated compared to the Dipuraja's but it's worth giving it a go.  Make sure you click on the links to get all the components required:

http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4498.0

Have fun :)

Ray

©2024 Curry Recipes