Author Topic: chilli plant please  (Read 5915 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
chilli plant please
« on: April 23, 2010, 01:40 PM »
hello

ive got 2 chilli plants on the go, must be 8 weeks now since i planted from seed. They are coming along very slowly. ive repotted them ect.

Im real disapointed i never started more off, the chillies i have i dont even know what kind they are, once growing more i will post a few pics maybe someone can help me with identification.

Anyhow this is a begging letter realy. I was wondering if anyone has some spare plants they wouldnt mind posting me. I will gladly give you postage costs. Perhaps you grew too many and be a shame to dump them.

i have been taking pics of the ones i have and will post the pics in here from seeding's on when they get on further by the summer.

regards

ps: i showed the wife a few pics posted on here in another thread of they peter penis ones overwise known as chilly willies. She now is intrested in chillies too. lol

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: chilli plant please
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 06:24 PM »
Hi Jimmy

Just plant some more now. 2 of mine went in last weekend and my Pusa Jwalas are getting planted tomorrow. They will grow perfectly well.

Chris

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 07:36 PM »
ok i will give it a whirl. going to buy a little propagator to help them along. hope the garden centre has some seeds.

also

there is this great sounding chilli weekend thing at http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php

sounds like a blast. im going to go and i live in the far north of scotland.

i was wondering if any other curry peeps on here wanted to go? , it a camping weekend thing as well.

So wouldnt it be great to meet up here, cook a curry on the stove and have beer.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 07:56 PM »
Jimmy,

ps: i showed the wife a few pics posted on here in another thread of they peter penis ones overwise known as chilly willies. She now is intrested in chillies too. lol

If they were the size of marrows, I reckon mine would be interested too  ;D ;D ;D

Ray

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 11:52 AM »
well i went to the garden centre. got a packet of mixed habanero and scotch bonnets.

just stuck 10 of them in a pot and stuck on the windowsill. The pack doesint give any indication of which variation so pot luck realy.

says on pack to sow march/april.

heres hoping im not to late. im thinking of buying a growlight saw some on ebay, that would certainly help them along. been real poor light conditions this spring very overcast.

my other 2 chilli plants have 2 sets of leaves on them so perhaps they will start to grow big and strong now, no idea though what type they are.

got 2 tomato plants on the gow which i planted same time as the chillies they are coming along very nicely, about 14 inch high and very healthy looking.

hows everyone else doing?

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Just a little bit of advice from someone who used to grow stuff with lights, They give off loads of heat, keep the plants at least 12" away from the bulbs and keep lifting the light else the plants will burn and also stretch which may result in leggy weak plants. Keep them short and fruity by adjusting the height of the light.
Also the light combined with the water in the soil and the plants natural aspiration will result in lots of condensation and humidity, so ventilation is a must, plants love a healthy breeze and fresh air.
The final note is to watch your leccy bill, i was spending an extra tenner a week easy just powering the light 12 hours a day, thats for flowering/fruiting.
For vegetation growth you want between 12-18 hours light per day. So it gets dearer.
But its a fast reliable way to grow any plant.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 11:33 PM »
hi peterandjan

ive put the seeds in compost and into the airing cupboard, the heat off the boiler should help them along nicely.

i was wondering if its worth puting my 2 small chilli plants in there too overnight, and then on the windowsill again during the day?

must be 30 degrees in there constantly with the heat off the watertank.

dont know if this would do any good though?

Offline foxy69rtaz

• Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 10:34 AM »
hey i got 12 on the go atm, and im waitin for some peter peker seeds lol, they r pretty cool hhaha. i have tried to grow chillis b4 now a few times and one time i was waitin patiently for 6 months lol not even a bit of a stem lol this time there is 12 tiny little stems with tiny little leaves growin from the cayenne seeds, well proud!

Offline peterandjen

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 11:17 AM »
Well theres dark and theres dark, when you have ertain plants on the night cycle of the day, i would put them in total dark, pitch black, it stops them stretching and produces a shorter bushier stronger plant. So the airing cupboard will be good for that.
The problem is air flow, warms good but lack of air flow isnt.
If on the window sill in the kitchen they get nice fresh air and a healthy breeze, then the plant can breath properly and the branches will be moving constantly thus making them stronger, a bit like lifting weights for us.
Although you will get light polution lol.
Do a test, place one plant in the airing cupboard and one in the kitchen each night at the same time and see which benefits the most.
The only time a plant really needs extra heat is the germination stage and maybe during its daytime. At night it gets colder, the sun goes down.

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 10:36 PM »
ok an update

planted 9 of the mixed habanero/ scotch bonnet seeds. 7 have sprouted so far. I still doubt especially with these kind that i will get anything this year, so just realy looking to salvage for overwintering, if i get half to do this will be happy.

my 2 chilli plants i started in march are jalapenos, they are about 1.3 foot and 1 foot now, so a while to go but in plenty of time to flower and get some peppers.

toms are doing ok too, marmande variety, just worried a cane that i have in each pot wont be enough to support them when they fruit, so looking at buying 2 expensive cages for them.

i think by looking at other pics from the web my chillies are a bit leggy, i guess this is to be expected realy with the dull spring we have had here so far, weather seems ready to improve though.

regards

©2024 Curry Recipes