Author Topic: CTM Mushroom Rice & Naan Bread  (Read 20128 times)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
CTM Mushroom Rice & Naan Bread
« on: May 06, 2010, 05:34 PM »
Just a few photos of my latest curry efforts, thanks to the recipes on this board  :D

^^^ Blades tikka marinade ^^^

^^^ Cooked on a gas barbeque ^^^

^^^ Dipuraja's Tikka Massala - using CA's curry base ^^^

^^^ Dipuraja's Mushroom Pilau Rice

^^^ Plain Naan Bread - Breadmaker Recipe baked in a pizza oven ^^^

^^^ Completed Meal - My Best attempt yet ^^^

If anyone wants the breadmaker naan recipe putting up then please ask.

Rob.

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: CTM Mushroom Rice & Naan Bread
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 05:37 PM »
Hi Rob,

All looks really nice.  I especially like the look of Dipuraja's mushroom rice  8)

I'm intrigued by your naans and what you mean by "breadmaker recipe baked in pizza oven"?  Yes please, it would be great if you could explain further and please post the recipe  :)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Rob that's great, I really like those naans.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 07:35 PM »
That looks very good indeed. the only missing as I could see it, was my invite. ;)

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 09:19 PM »
Hi,

The naan recipe is from the wifes Kenwood rapid-bake breadmaker and is as follows.

90ml water
45ml natural yoghurt (Tesco's value)
15ml olive oil
225g unbleached white bread flour (Tesco's again)
5ml salt
5ml sugar
25g butter (melted in microwave)
5ml dried yeast (Tesco's fast action) < the only one that doesn't leave a yeast after taste

melted butter for brushing (I used extra virgin olive oil)

Method/  I double up on everything (I like big naans)  ;D

Pour water, yoghurt, olive oil and melted butter into breadmaker pan
Sprinkle over the flour covering the liquids
Add salt and sugar in seperate corners, make a well in centre of flour and add dried yeast
Select dough cycle on machine and leave until finished and risen

I used this type of pizza maker CLICK HERE they're about ?60 and lots of online stores sell them.

Get the stone heated until the light goes out @ setting 1.5 then shape the naans and cook @ full tilt until blistered, finish off with a brush of oil.

One nice trick is to use Wright's cheese and onion bread mix (tesco's) which you just add water following the packets instruction and these although not naans make a quick flat bread alternative if your pushed for time (i still prefer the naan recipe though) and no I don't work for Tesco's  ;)

Have fun, Rob.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 09:27 PM »
Thanks for that Rob.

We talked about cooking naans this way very recently, the idea was originally suggested by haldi I think. I have to say I'm well impressed, I would never have thought they'd turn out that good. Nice!

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Looks good Rob :) Seems I'm going to have to add Dip's mushroom rice to my weekend nosh-up! ;D

I've been thinking of buying a breadmaker for a while now (actually wanted one years ago but they had a dodgy rep back then quality-wise)...how does your compare to the traditional blood sweat and tears way of breadmaking? it's a toss-up for me between the breadmaker and an ice-cream maker, so any advice would be helpful ;)

Offline Willyeckerslike

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Them dishes look really good Rob, I will have to try the CTM & Mushroom rice next time I have a curry night (looking like a week on Saturday).  The Naan looks very nice and I am interested in it & the pizza maker you got from Amazon (unavailable atm).  How does the naan compare to a TA or BIR?

Offline canicant

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 10:26 PM »
Well i wish i could say that my naan making has always been as straight forward as i described but the truth is finding a suitable naan recipe has been bloody frustrating, i think i've tried them all.

IMO the measures are critical and have to be consistant.

Domi the bread maker is worth its weight in gold it again took some trial and error, we've had everything from house bricks to door stops ::) but it makes excellent traditional bread, pizza dough and even better naans just persist and it soon comes right.

SS the pizza maker has opened up the naan possibilities for me, the only slight problem is the plastic cover on the side has started to melt slightly cos i've got it on afterburn to cook with, mind you it's had some serious use over the couple of months i've owned it and if it went wrong i would definitely buy another.

Rob.

P.S @Willyeckerslike, sorry although i posted the link for Amazon as an example i didn't buy it from there, have a look on here its the makers home page CLICK HERE

It would be a bit rude to say my naans were BIR but damn it they definitely are, fluffy light with a slight crunch in places when eaten straight away and nice the following morning when the leftovers get eaten for breakfast.

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:25 AM »
Rob,

Everything looks absolutely bang on.  You should be well proud of yerself with that effort.

And again, someone else having joy with a Dipuraja recipe!  I'm seriously going to have to revisit the old Dipster and re-trace my steps.

Great post, I love it when pics are posted.  It gives you something to compare to visually.

Ray :)

©2024 Curry Recipes