Author Topic: peshwari nan  (Read 12407 times)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
peshwari nan
« on: May 25, 2010, 10:03 PM »
Hi

Does anyone know what filling they use in restaurants I've seen a video and it like white paste is it coconut powder and almond powder ? made into a paste i have made them using ground almonds desiccated coconut and chopped raisins its nice but not the same as the BIR i have any ideas would be appreciated ill have to ask next time i order 1

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: peshwari nan
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2010, 08:13 PM »
you can try mixing those ingredients into a paste with milk and then pressing it into your nan dough

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2012, 03:55 PM »
you can try mixing those ingredients into a paste with milk and then pressing it into your nan dough

How close in taste and texture does your paste with milk come to the fillings in BIR-sourced Peshwari naan?

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 04:05 PM »
Hi George

The last time i made them i used 2tbsp coconut 1tbsp ground almonds and half tbsp sugar then mixed it with the minimal amount of water to make it into a paste i could work with then used the same method as keema naans to get the filling inside it worked quite well but deos need tweeking

Jamie

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 06:06 PM »

How close in taste and texture does your paste with milk come to the fillings in BIR-sourced Peshwari naan?

George it's OK but not nearly as close as I'd like. Like jamieb728 says it needs some work and I am still struggling to produce a plain naan that I am happy with. It eludes me for sure.

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 11:05 PM »

George it's OK but not nearly as close as I'd like. Like jamieb728 says it needs some work and I am still struggling to produce a plain naan that I am happy with. It eludes me for sure.

Do you mean the bread or the filling isn't as close as you'd like? Or neither perhaps! I've recently bought some plain naans from Lidl and Sainsbury's for about 50p or 60p for a pack of two. They're not too bad and could easily be used as a 'vehicle' for tests on a filling.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 11:36 PM »
George

Not entirely happy with either to be honest though my naans are edible they are missing a certain something that I can't place. Hadn't thought about using pre-bought naans for experimenting with fillings for, that's a good idea. I've used the Lidl ones and they are fine.

Steve

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 07:21 AM »
I'm quite happy with my naan breads although they are never going to be as good as BIR without a tandoor oven i think they are alot better than shop bought ones its the filling i need to get right i havn't had ago at it for ages but do hae next week off so will have time to play again need to go to my local and ask them for aa sample of there filling i think

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2012, 07:24 AM »
I'm quite happy with my naan breads although they are never going to be as good as BIR without a tandoor oven i think they are alot better than shop bought ones its the filling i need to get right i havn't had ago at it for ages but do hae next week off so will have time to play again need to go to my local and ask them for aa sample of there filling i think

Now that sounds like a good idea Jamie.  Would love to find out the exact recipe for the filling as peshwari naan is my favourite.  Maybe ifindforu or Abdul could enlighten us as to how to make it ??? :D

Online curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2012, 06:15 AM »
Hi Jamieb.  Here's what Abdul recommended.  Let us know how you got on.  I'm going to give this a go in the week :D

EDIT - Recipe amended since Abdul has clarified that it is condensed milk that is used not evaporated milk (carnation)

Hi Curryhell,

This is how I make the filling for Peshwari Naans. Just bare in mind that it is a recipe for just ONE naan.

Ingredients for the peshwari mixture

1 and half tsp of coconut powder
just under a tsp of almond powder
2 sultanas cut into small slices
Half tsp of Sugar
Condensed milk  2 to 3 tsp

Method

Mix thoroughly and make sure the mixture should not be runny.
Then put the mixture into the naan dough.
Then make the naan using the normal procedure.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 05:00 PM by curryhell »

©2024 Curry Recipes