Author Topic: tablespoon, dessert spoon, teaspoon help  (Read 4230 times)

Offline jimmy2x

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
tablespoon, dessert spoon, teaspoon help
« on: May 27, 2010, 07:26 PM »
wife and i have a bloody raging row on what a tablespoon is.

i went to the cupboard and took out what she calls a dessert spoon, to me it looks same size as any common household tablespoon. she insisted that a tablespoon is bigger than this dessert spoon hence i need to put in twice as much to make 1 tablespoon.

i think she is talking nonsense, she things i always have to be right in everything.

help me out here, right or wrong.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: tablespoon, dessert spoon, teaspoon help
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 07:37 PM »
The question is a little ambiguous as any common tablespoon is a tablespoon. But you should understand that a dessert spoon is smaller than a tablespoon and that a normal table when laid would have desserts spoons at the place mat but not tablespoons.

I would suggest your wife is correct, but for measurement as we have discussed on here recently, use measuring spoons. Modern measurement for tablespoon is 15ml.

Offline commis

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 07:38 PM »
Hi
As a rule for water, a teaspoon=5ml, desertspoon=10ml, tablespoon=15ml. Hopes this helps.

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 07:54 PM »
Just to add insult to injury:

"A TABLE-SPOONFUL is frequently mentioned in a recipe, in the prescriptions of medical men, and also in medical, chemical, and gastronomical works. By it is generally meant and understood a measure or bulk equal to that which would be produced by half an ounce of water."

"A DESSERT-SPOONFUL is the half of a table-spoonful; that is to say, by it is meant a measure or bulk equal to a quarter of an ounce of water."

Taken from Mrs Beeton: http://www.mrsbeeton.com/04-chapter4.html

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Hi Jimmy,

Unfortunately mate, I think your wife is correct.  What you usually have in your drawer are dessertspoons = 10ml

You may well have bigger than that, and they could measure 15ml.  But here's the thing, whilst 15ml is often regarded as the measurement for a British tablespoon, it is in fact, 17.7ml for the British tbs, 20ml for an Australian tbs, and 14.2 for a US tbs.

Confused, me too ;D

Ray :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Just to throw my hat into the ring....a tsp = 5ml, a dessertspoon = 2 tsp and a tablespoon = 3 tsp.

When used in recipes, 1 tsp/dsp/Tbsp of dry ingredients usually means rounded as recipes should specify heaped or level if such are needed. :P

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Just to throw my hat into the ring

You can throw your hat into my ring anytime :P :P :P ;D

So, what would be the guidelines if you were using measuring spoons Dom, I assume it would be level measurments?

BTW, I've just seen your piccy, and you look very very familiar to me (ooo shit, I've gon off topic :o)

Ray ;)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 09:39 PM »
I'd not want to wear me hat after it's been in your ring, luv....did I mention I wear a dutch cap? :o)

What kind of measuring spoons do you mean, Bez? the ones like those things you get in an SMA tin? never used them though I suppose you could use rounded ones of those too? I have about 15 spoons on a keyring that I spent alot on years ago....trust a bleedin' Manc to cloud the issue! pmsl ;D

BTW...you said you thought I looked familiar....'ere that wasn't you at the Hacienda, curled into a ball, ecstacy rictus spread across your face with a soup dragons hoodie and a king monkey haircut worrit? if so, I ummmm think I've still got yer wallet....though it's empty now...<shrugs> dunno where the money went, must have evaporated over the years....<whistles>....though the flourescent "penis colada" flavoured condom is still very much intact though no doubt a bit out of date....unless I got that from Pete Waterman.. :(

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2010, 09:48 AM »
Hahaha, no, I didn't have a King Monkey hair do, more a scruffy hippy style centre partin job really 8)  The only hair I've got partin these days are on mi arse :(

Penis colada flavoured condoms eh?, classy guy, are you sure that it wasn't Del Boy? ;D

Back to the topic before I get bollocked off the "off topic police", Yeah my spoons are on a key ringy thingy, sarting with, 1.25, 2.5, 5, 10 & 15ml but, it also had a leveller attached on a small like, "kitchen sink plug type chain", so I always assumed that I was to level each measurement? I lost that years ago.  17.7 is the official measurment for a British tbs though, even though most ppl think of it as 15ml

I paid 20 squids for them about 15 yrs ago.

Anyway being a former frequenter of fac51, and being a dirrrrrty Manc, I tend to use very accurate scales for my weights and measurments these days :P :P :P ;)

Ray :)

Offline Domi

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2010, 01:06 PM »
ah well...whoever the condom belonged to, I hope they caught summat nasty :P hehe pot smokers of the world unite eh? 17.7 is the imperial measurement for a tablespoon however as most level tablespoons = 15, could we say that a rounded tblsp could well be 17.7?? LOL I know we can't, but in an ideal world and all that...far too many pedants :( pmsl

©2024 Curry Recipes