Author Topic: Razor's Onion Paste  (Read 8751 times)

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Razor's Onion Paste
« on: June 06, 2010, 09:44 PM »
Hi Guy's,

Below is my recipe for an onion paste.  This is not Bunjara as such, and is put in at the beginning of the dish as appose to Bunjara which usually goes in at the end.  It is good for the spicier curry's such as Madras, Bhuna, Jal Frezi, Vindaloo and could be used as one of your onion types in Dupiaza.

It adds a sweetness to the dish, replacing the need to use sugar, and gives that 'old skool' consistency that we don't see much of these day's

Razor's Onion Paste

Ingredients

4 tennis ball sized onions (not red)

4 tbs of Veg oil

2 tsp of Razor's mixed spice blend http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=4706.0

Method

Peel and chop the onions then place in a blender and really blitz well, ensuring that all the onion is well pureed.

Place the oil in a pan and heat up on high for 1 min

Add the pureed onions and stir constantly for 1 min

Add the Razor's mixed spice and continue to stir on high for 1 min

Turn the heat to low, and continue to fry for about 8 mins, stirring frequently.

Once cooked, allow the onion paste to cool, then  transfer into a sterilised jar or air tight container, pour in a little oil to cover the top of the paste and store in the fridge.

It should keep for at least 2 - 3 weeks in the fridge.

Tips

If you wish to make bigger quantities, use this rule:

1 onion - 1 tbs veg oil - 1/2 tsp Razor's mixed spice blend, and increase as such

You can make this paste using reclaimed oil if you wish, which give the paste a deeper, savoury flavour.

Add 1 chef's spoon of this paste, just after adding your spices in your favourate curry recipe.

Enjoy,

Ray :)

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Razor's Onion Paste
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 07:08 AM »
This is not Bunjara as such, and is put in at the beginning of the dish as appose to Bunjara which usually goes in at the end. 

Razor,

not being negative on u're recipe but Bunjarra can be used just as u say. i actually add it with the tom puree. i've tried both earlier and late addition - the earlier addition gives a better result for me. u can add some more towards the end but it don't work for many dishes.

ps i will try this recipe for comparison

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 10:40 AM »
Ray, I don't suppose you have picture of your finished paste do you?

My experience in the past with cooking pureed onion has never been overly successful, where I have always ended up with a more sort of boiled onion taste. Out of curiosity, have tried frying the onion first, before blending?

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 01:24 PM »
Hi Jerry,

Yes, I suppose Bunjara can be used either at the start or at the end of the dish.  My understanding is though, that it is mainly used at the end as it is already fully cooked.

This paste is almost cooked fully, but, just needs that last ten mins in the final dish, to finish it of, and, IMO enhance the flavour of the curry.

Hi Axe,

Yes, I've tried prefrying the onions then blitzing, but it doesn't quite work out the same, why, is anybody's guess.

I will try to post a pic tonight, when I get home.

Offline artistpaul

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 11:25 PM »
Hi Razor

SPOT ON IMHO your addition and quick unlike Bunjarra

I just make 1 small adjustment - 1.1/2 tsp brown sugar, helps it caramalize fast, its like adding concentrated French Soup to the dish but in a very reduced content / volume

But a V worthwhile addtition to any spiced curry but not the kormas of this world of course

Cheers mate

Offline Mikka1

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 01:01 AM »
Razor. I'll have a crack at this and add AP's advice too. sounds really good thanks again for sharing.

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:35 AM »
Razor,

clearly bunjarra don't work for u. all i'm getting at is that what u're producing is in fact bunjarra just another version on it (which is not wrong).

the thought that u can only use bunjarra towards the end is wrong though - bunjarra is onion paste.

i need to eat it in curry side by side (onion paste v bunjarra) to be sure how it rates.

Offline Stephen Lindsay

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 04:11 PM »

the thought that u can only use bunjarra towards the end is wrong though - bunjarra is onion paste.

If you have a look at the Ashoka onion paste recipe they use it at the beginning so I think you are both right!!

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 07:23 PM »
Hi Jerry,

all I'm getting at is that what u're producing is in fact bunjarra just another version
Is it a Bunjara, I don't know?  but my understanding of Bunjara, is, slice/chopped onion, slowly fried in spices and tomato until caramelized?  Plus, it takes a good hour at least (at the very least) to make Bunjara.

This is onion puree, quick fried in oil, with minimal spicing.  Takes 10 mins!, but try it along side Bunjara, for me it gives a completely different twist to the dish.

Hi ArtistPaul,

I just make 1 small adjustment - 1.1/2 tsp brown sugar, helps it caramelize fast

Thanks for the tip, but I'm trying to cut out using sugar of any kind in my BIR cooking, as I don't believe it to be prevalent in the BIR kitchen.  Also, I don't really want to caramelize the onions as such, but fry them enough to bring out the natural sweetness.  Caramelizing pureed onions is hard work too, lol

Thanks for the comments guy's.  Give it a go, you may like it, if not, no harm done ;D

Offline Malc.

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Ray,

Do you add less spice mix to the finished dish due to adding some to the onion paste, or simply add this in addition?

Also, does it affect the amount of base you use?

Sorry for all the questions.

©2024 Curry Recipes