Author Topic: my chillies  (Read 8908 times)

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
my chillies
« on: June 16, 2010, 10:55 PM »
heres how my chillies are coming on

I planted most a little late but they are still coming along nicely

a nice cayenne

I have some Cayenne, Jalape?o, Scotch Bonnets, Bhut Jolokia, Naga Morish,

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: my chillies
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 09:32 AM »
Wow that's a lot of chilli plants! I did the same last year and ended up having to chuck a load away. This year I planted about 8 plants of each of Jalapeno, Pinocchios nose and Pusa Jwala (hot green finger chilli). They all germinated so I gave most of them away to the kids football club plant sale leaving myself with 2 Jalapeno and Pinnochios nose plants and 4 Pusa Jwala. I'm still eating last years frozen Super Chillies.

Offline matt3333

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Hi Chris
Have you tried drying out the  chillies and grinding to make a powder.
M

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 01:22 PM »
Hi Chris, They look good :)

Here's some of mine "Cayene Chillis" I only have 3 plants but they're providing a lot of fruit :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:35 PM »
Nice Cayennes 976. Do you pick them green or let them ripen? When did you plant them to have a plant that mature. Mine are only about a foot tall and no sign of fruit yet.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:34 PM »
nice plant 976.. I planted loads with the idea of keeping the strong ones and getting rid of the weaker ones but i havnt got the heart lol. If you nip the top of the plant when its young you will get a bushier plant that gives more fruit.. i did it with the cayenne in my pics.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:52 PM »
Hi Chris and Fi5h,

I planted these back in March, kept them indoors and they still are taking top spot on the window sill in my kitchen which faces south. They do drink a lot of water hence the fruit.

I've harvested a couple so far (green in colour) and they are hot but not as hot as I would expect, so I am going to let them ripen out a bit towards a reddish colour. I'll probably pick them at various stages of growth to ascertain the strength and will keep you posted.

It's quite exciting when you start producing you're own chillis :)

Next I want t produce Habernaro's. I tried these recently when I was in the USA and they are on every shelf in all the local supermarkets. Why can't we get them here?

All I can find is Sainsbury's "Scotch Bonnnets" which give approx the same heat factor but don't have the taste of Habernaros.

Even my local Asian supermarket only seems to stock Scotch Bonnets, green chillis and green Finger Chillis (The hotter ones).

Habernaros bring a whole new flavour when making curries :)

Offline chriswg

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 05:29 PM »
I like the sound of Habaneros too. I guess they are probably used more in Mexican cooking which is so much more popular over there then it is here. Every town has at least 3 Taco Hells, whereas certainly in Colorado when I lived there you couldn't find a curry for love or money (I tried both). No kebabs either apart from those weird Gyros wraps which came with some strange awful tasting white sauce. They might have been okay covered in some proper chilli sauce.

Offline Fi5H

• Head Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:01 PM »
hi 976, you have to be careful when you water them.. if you give too much water when they are young their fruit is weaker. you have to make sure the top soil goes dry before watering.. little and often is better than more and frequent.

http://www.chillisgalore.co.uk/pages/growingtips.html

should give you some tips..

The scotch Bonnets are apart of the Habernaros chillies they are a Jamaican fruit with similar heat. I cant wait for my Naga Morish to fruit.. they are gonna blow my head off lol

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 06:47 AM »
Thanks for the tip Fi5h :)

©2024 Curry Recipes