Author Topic: 976bar's New Base Sauce  (Read 3994 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
976bar's New Base Sauce
« on: June 26, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Whilst I haven't been on here for sometime, I've been away in the kitchen experimenting on all sorts of things and my own base sauce which I now feel is ready to share with you. You will notice the large quantity of onions "2kg" which are sweated down in oil with freshly pureed garlic and ginger for 1 hour, before adding the other ingredients and water.

I've added pictures and a simple and easy methodology for people to try. Let me know what you think :)

Ingredients
2kg Onions, peeled and chopped into quarters
100g fresh garlic, pureed
50g fresh ginger, pureed
50g tomato puree
400g tin tomatoes
1 carrot
1 green pepper
1 star anise
2 inch stick of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 heaped teaspoon salt
25g fresh coriander chopped
4 heaped teaspoons spice mix (see below)
300ml rapeseed oil
2.5 litres water

Spice mix
4 tbsp Coriander powder
4 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp cumin powder
3 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp garlic powder
1tbsp methi (fenugreek leaves rubbed into a fine powder)
2 tsp curry powder (I used Rajah Madras hot)
1 tsp ginger powder
1tsp chilli powder (Kashmiri Mirch)
0.5 tsp cardamom powder
0.5 tsp fenugreek powder

Method.

In a large pan add 300ml of oil, add the onion, garlic and ginger and bring to a high heat. When the mixture is hot and bubbling, reduce the heat to the lowest setting , cover and cook for 1 hour stirring periodically.

Add all the other ingredients except the spice mixture and freshly chopped coriander.

Add 2 litres of water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove the star anise, cinnamon stick and bay leaf and add the spice mixture, freshly chopped coriander and 500ml hot water.

Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Put the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth and a soup like consistency.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: 976bar's New Base Sauce
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Whilst I haven't been on here for sometime, I've been away in the kitchen experimenting on all sorts of things and my own base sauce which I now feel is ready to share with you. You will notice the large quantity of onions "2kg" which are sweated down in oil with freshly pureed garlic and ginger for 1 hour, before adding the other ingredients and water.

I've added pictures and a simple and easy methodology for people to try. Let me know what you think :)

Ingredients
2kg Onions, peeled and chopped into quarters
100g fresh garlic, pureed
50g fresh ginger, pureed
50g tomato puree
400g tin tomatoes
1 carrot
1 green pepper
1 star anise
2 inch stick of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
1 heaped teaspoon salt
25g fresh coriander chopped
4 heaped teaspoons spice mix (see below)
300ml rapeseed oil
2.5 litres water

Spice mix
4 tbsp Coriander powder
4 tbsp paprika
3 tbsp cumin powder
3 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp garlic powder
1tbsp methi (fenugreek leaves rubbed into a fine powder)
2 tsp curry powder (I used Rajah Madras hot)
1 tsp ginger powder
1tsp chilli powder (Kashmiri Mirch)
0.5 tsp cardamom powder
0.5 tsp fenugreek powder

Method.

In a large pan add 300ml of oil, add the onion, garlic and ginger and bring to a high heat. When the mixture is hot and bubbling, reduce the heat to the lowest setting , cover and cook for 1 hour stirring periodically.

Add all the other ingredients except the spice mixture and freshly chopped coriander.

Add 2 litres of water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 hour.

Remove the star anise, cinnamon stick and bay leaf and add the spice mixture, freshly chopped coriander and 500ml hot water.

Simmer on a low heat for 20 minutes, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Put the mixture into a blender and blend until smooth and a soup like consistency.

Onions, Garlic & Ginger

Onions after 1 hour

Ingredients

Spice mix

Spice mix & coriander

Base before blending
Final Base

Offline Razor

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 04:03 PM »
Hi 976,

I have just made a batch of my own base today :-\  I would have give this a go if I'd have caught it before hand.

I like the quantity of onions (2kg to 3 litres of liquid).  I have also increased on my onions in  my base from 1kg, to 2kg.  Not cooked a curry with it yet but will do tonight. 

Ray :)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:48 PM »
Hi Razor,

Despite it being 28 degrees today, I have suffered in the Kitchen. So far today using my base sauce, I have made a Chicken Korma (using CA's recipe) for my daughter and she has said it is actually better than her local takeaways :) however use only 2 tbsp sugar next time not 3 as it got a bit too sweet after the 4th bite!! lol ( Iused a pre-cook chicken method with whole spices and this time added 1 tsp spice mix to the garlic frying before adding the chicken and the water, it came out well :)

I've also made a chicken tikka madras for my neighbour who has yet to try it so will hear later, and also a Garlic Chilli Chicken Masala, which came out superb.

I'm absolutely knackered now and am going to find something cold and alcoholic to relax with......

Chin Chin!! :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 08:36 AM »
That recipe looks good 976bar ,I'll give it a go when my present batch ( CA's ) runs out ,I like the amount of Onion but might step up the Garlic a bit .
Just as an observation , it looks like your Bay leaves are the European variety - chuck em in the bin and find some Asian Bay leaves ,they are miles better ( TRS do them )

Bit off topic bar, but had a meal at the Myristica last night , they have moved premises now just around the corner , asked if they could do a Madras ' no problem ' they said , it was superb the flavours were awesome  :o and no Base Sauce used in this place  :D
and for desert . :P their Tandoori Pineapple with Saffron Ice Cream was deeeelicious

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 08:42 AM »
Hi Emin,

Yes I remember the place well and also had a great meal in there and as you say without a base sauce :)

Thanks for the tip on the bay leaves, mine are currently block standard ones from the local supermarket. I've got to nip to my Asian store later ann will pick some up.

Just finished off the small amount of garlic chilli chicken fore breakfast.... it was heaven :) lol

I'm marinading a new recipe this morning for the BBQ later, some "piri piri prawns" I'll see how well they turn out and if any good I'll post the recipe later.

Have a great day it's gonna be a hot one out there!! :)

Offline jamieb728

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 09:58 AM »
Hi bar

I'll be giving this a go when my current batch runs out have you tried it with the more hotter dishes such as madras and vindaloo.

Jamie

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 10:15 AM »
Hi Jamie,

In my previous note on this, I made a chicken tikka madras last night which came out superb, but also my garlic chilli chicken masala uses maximum amount of garlic & Chilli, so I use 1 x scotch bonnet cut up fine plus 2 teaspoons of TRS extra hot chilli powder.

So yep, I think it works really well with the hotter dishes too :)

Offline emin-j

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 05:32 PM »
Check out the link 976bar , make sure the Bay Leaves you buy are the same as the Asian ones in the photo .  ;)
ATB
http://www.curry-recipes.co.uk/curry/index.php?topic=2208.0

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 05:42 PM »
Thanks Emin-J

I'll go get some, didn't have time yesterday, was too busy cooking kebabs which I have posted recipes for on here :)

Chin Chin!! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes