Author Topic: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?  (Read 151222 times)

Offline telecaster445

• Chef
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it?
« Reply #340 on: November 04, 2010, 10:31 PM »
You miss the point Secret Ranta.  This curry thing, it's getting you all agitated. Go out more, enjoy life! Take pleasure in discussion and debate, but try it in a kind of supportive sort of way! 

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it ?
« Reply #341 on: November 05, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Yesterday I decided to try some of the ideas from Dave Loyden's base recipe, and in view of the discussions in this thread, added one teaspoon fenugreek
Hi Chaaa
Was this ground fenugreek seeds?
It should be
The leaves and seeds give a very different effect
I had to fo out and buy some seeds
They weren't something I really used

Offline sgtpepper

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: November 05, 2010, 08:33 AM »

...Bhuna and Madras. both up to BIR quality.

SecretSanta generously replied:

Ah, you must be one of the "if it doesn't taste only of lemon it ain't a madras" brigade. The lemon is so overpowering it makes it unpalatable for me.

For Madras, Dave Loyden adds ONE slice of lemon at the gravy stage. I suspect you're talking hyperbolese. If not, I'm concerned.

On a side note: are you sure you're not a character from League of Gentlemen/Psychoville?

With respect,

SgtP

Offline George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: November 05, 2010, 09:05 AM »
...Bhuna and Madras. both up to BIR quality.
SecretSanta generously replied:
Ah, you must be one of the "if it doesn't taste only of lemon it ain't a madras" brigade. The lemon is so overpowering it makes it unpalatable for me.
For Madras, Dave Loyden adds ONE slice of lemon at the gravy stage. I suspect you're talking hyperbolese. If not, I'm concerned.
On a side note: are you sure you're not a character from League of Gentlemen/Psychoville?

What rock have you crawled out from under? With just three posts, are you really a new member, a long time lurker, a trouble maker from another camp, or another member here who chooses to launch a new (duplicate) identity, in order to stir up trouble?

SS was quite right to challenge the points he did. That's what debate is about, even if you disagree with him.  Rather than answer in a civilised manner, T445 took offence and now you've joined in. Shame on you both.

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: November 05, 2010, 09:33 AM »
I've made the madras from this book and it produces a reasonable curry, although I didn't use his base. Much better recipes can be had on this site, I reckon.

SS was quite right to challenge the points he did.

Sigh. Is that how you really interpret SS's reply? To me it comes across as him dismissing someone's post because it is inconsistent with his opinion. Why he feels the need to be so negative, I don't know.

Offline Peripatetic Phil

• Genius Curry Master
  • Contributing member
    • View Profile
Re: Undercover Curry - Anyone heard of it ?
« Reply #345 on: November 05, 2010, 09:50 AM »
... in view of the discussions in this thread, added one teaspoon fenugreek
Was this ground fenugreek seeds?
Yes, although pre-ground rather than ground by myself.  There are just five ground spices in my basic repertoire, although the spice cupboard contains many many more : ground chillies (or Bassar Curry Masala), ground cumin, ground fenugreek, ground coriander, and garam masala.  These are listed in decreasing order of quantity required (something like 3:2:1:1/2:1/4).

** Phil.

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 05, 2010, 10:00 AM »
Sigh. Is that how you really interpret SS's reply? To me it comes across as him dismissing someone's post because it is inconsistent with his opinion. Why he feels the need to be so negative, I don't know.

Why Ramirez? Because of statements like this:

I've made the madras from this book and it produces a reasonable curry, although I didn't use his base

::)

Offline Secret Santa

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 05, 2010, 10:02 AM »
You miss the point Secret Ranta.  This curry thing, it's getting you all agitated. Go out more, enjoy life! Take pleasure in discussion and debate, but try it in a kind of supportive sort of way!

With respect,

SgtP

Yaaaaaaaaaaawn!  ;D

Offline sgtpepper

• Junior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 05, 2010, 11:42 AM »

Why Ramirez? Because of statements like this:

I've made the madras from this book and it produces a reasonable curry, although I didn't use his base

So you reply to T445's reasonable comments regarding the book in quite a dismissive and arrogant manner, and then justify this by quoting a comment from someone else!

I'm all for reasoned and passionate debate - but if I'm honest your tone through a number of threads has been less than exemplary. However, I will of course apologise for my comments regarding Psychoville  ;D

New members to this site should be welcomed; I think T445's earlier post was a reasonable sharing of knowledge regarding this new book. You don't have to agree with his comments (it's obvious you don't), but I found your response to be a touch arrogant.

I'll now crawl back under my rock........ :D

SgtP

Offline JerryM

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2010, 01:44 PM »
if it was so undesirable to have flames, then I'm quite sure the BIR chefs would avoid it.

George,

the type of pan may come into this - i don't know for sure. i do know that at the temperature i cook i can set fire to the oil instantly and the resulting dish in terms of BIR "oil" characteristic is far less than norm. i suppose if there is value in the flames (i am confident there is none) then addition of extra oil would make good.

the subject is something i don't feel we know enough about.

i may have to buy one of those ali pans to put my mind at rest. my local TA hardly ever set fire to their ali pan yet their heat is certainly ballpark or even higher than mine. i am either lacking in skill (very probable) or my steel pan has this slight deficiency. with care i can avoid the flames but i have to work at it.

©2024 Curry Recipes