Author Topic: Beef Dansak, using a slow cooker and CA's Tarka Dal  (Read 6020 times)

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Beef Dansak, using a slow cooker and CA's Tarka Dal
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:32 PM »
Hi Guys,

Well I was up at 6.30 this morning making CA's tarka Dal, which came out good considering I boiled the arse off the lentils and got a thick burnt lump at the bottom of the pot. Next time I'll simmer after bringing to the boil lol

So I used CA's recipe for the dansak and made everything as normal without adding the meat, then browned the beef and transferred all to the slow curry cooker for 5 hours. The beef has come out so tender and just falls apart. But what I like about this method is the way the spices take on a whole new dimension when cooked slowly like this for several hours.

Anyway here's a few pics of the curry cooker and the Dansak. Can't wait to cook the rice a bit later :)

Offline solarsplace

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: Beef Dansak, using a slow cooker and CA's Tarka Dal
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Flippin' heck that looks good!

Have the same 'curry cooker' myself - I'm gonna give that slow cooking curry lark a go too for a little variety and a lot less mess by the looks of things?

Edit: What temperature setting did you use for a 5 hour cook period please? any thoughts on how the dish would have turned out if left on the lowest setting for say 8 hours?

good work.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 04:08 PM by solarsplace »

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 04:28 PM »
Hi Solarsplace,

I used the lowest setting. There are 4 settings here. Off. Low. High and Keep warm. I don't know if leaving it that long will help. I have been here all day and it does need stirring even on the low setting to stop it sticking to the bottom.

I'm not sure what "keep warm" will do. I'm sure it's a much lower setting than low but whether it will cook the meal through or not? Perhaps for that time?

Maybe give it a try whilst at home over the weekend and see how it turns out on "keep warm"? It could be that you could leave it whilst at work and then turn it up to High when you get home to finish off if not already cooked.

Happy cooking :)

Offline Unclefrank

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 08:49 PM »
Hi bar (again) i use this method for Lamb Rogan josh never tried it for Dansak.

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 10:16 PM »
Hi Unclefrank.

To be honest, I haven't had a dansak for years but just fancied it. Having made it, I realise how my taste buds have changed over the years and I really am not a fan of sweet curries anymore. I loved the heat and sourness from the Chilli and lemon juice, but the sweetness did nothing for me at all.

I do love the Tarka Dhal I made though and have some of that left in the fridge. That'll go well with the next curry I make and some Naan bread!! :)

©2024 Curry Recipes