Author Topic: Tender Lamb - slow cooker style  (Read 10449 times)

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
Tender Lamb - slow cooker style
« on: August 02, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I've started to eat more lamb curries lately finding chicken sometimes a little boring.

Last weekend I bought a 12.99 Argos value slow cooker, partly inspired by a post by 976bar on using one.

I bought some spring leg of lamb for about ?6.50 and chopped it up into bite sized pieces. Then I briefly fried the pieces with some cinnamon, cardmamom, and bay leaf.

Then I stuck the mixture in the slow cooker with just enough base sauce (Dipu's recipe) to cover and slow cooked for about 5 hours.
Then I cooked a curry sauce in my wok and added the lamb and base mixture.

The resulting cooked lamb was melt in the mouth consistency - very tender and tasty.

I've tried shorter methods of pre-cooking lamb but have never got such tenderness before.

As an aside, I also added a single Natco dried birds-eye chilli to the frying oil and this was also transferred to the slow cooker. I retrieved the chilli after cooking as it was still whole. I couldn't believe the amount of heat that this tiny dried chilli had imparted on my curry and it nearly caused a bust-up with the missus! Compared to even hot chilli powder these things really pack a punch!

Paul.

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
Re: Tender Lamb - slow cooker style
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 12:44 PM »
I've started to eat more lamb curries lately finding chicken sometimes a little boring.

Last weekend I bought a 12.99 Argos value slow cooker, partly inspired by a post by 976bar on using one.

I bought some spring leg of lamb for about ?6.50 and chopped it up into bite sized pieces. Then I briefly fried the pieces with some cinnamon, cardmamom, and bay leaf.

Then I stuck the mixture in the slow cooker with just enough base sauce (Dipu's recipe) to cover and slow cooked for about 5 hours.

The resulting cooked lamb was melt in the mouth consistency - very tender and tasty.

I've tried shorter methods of pre-cooking lamb but have never got such tenderness before.

As an aside, I also added a single Natco dried birds-eye chilli to the frying oil and this was also transferred to the slow cooker. I retrieved the chilli after cooking as it was still whole. I couldn't believe the amount of heat that this tiny dried chilli had imparted on my curry and it nearly caused a bust-up with the missus! Compared to even hot chilli powder these things really pack a punch!

Paul.

Going to do this one today Paul.  Got

Offline PaulP

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 01:01 PM »
Hi CH,

Just remember to make sure that you turn on the slow cooker first to get hot before adding any food. Secondly always add hot food to the slow cooker or it will take ages to heat up again.

I would start to sample the lamb (if you're at home) after about 3.5 hours. I usually cook for 5 hours when I do this myself with lamb.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Paul

Offline 976bar

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2011, 06:48 PM »

Paul.

Love it!!! lol :)

Yes the chilies do give more heat in slow cooking, and also remember that never ever ever lift the lid whilst slow cooking as this will result in a longer cooking time. The only other thing I would say about cooking lamb or beef or any meat really in a slow cooker is cut the chunks into 3 inch size pieces, because by the time that has slow cooked for 4-5 hours it will turn out into approx 2 inch size pieces which are suitable for curry dishes.

I've cut much smaller than this before and the meat has got so small by the end of the cooking period, that it is hardly noticeable.... and not so tender either.....

Happy cooking :)

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2011, 07:04 PM »
Well the cooker is doing the business now and i've resisted any  temptation to have a peek :D. Will lift the lid at 10:00 to see how it's doing.  Thankfully my butcher friend cut the meat up for me and the chunks were roughly what you suggested 976.  I wonder if he knew something i didn't ::).  I'll bare that in mind in future if i cut it up.  Am looking forward to sampling this a little later and to having something other than chicken.
A useful by-product of all this is a saucepan of Abdul's base.  That should keep me going for a couple of weeks 8).

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:01 PM »
Followed all your tips guys.  Thanks a lot.  Cooker was hot and browned the the meat and kept it warm.  Gravy was hot as i'd only just finished cooking it ;D

Started the actual cooking  at 6:30

And what a bonus :o.  A pot full of Abdul's gravy for curries ;D

The end result.

Lifted the lid at 10.30 for a peek and a taste.

:P :P :P :P :P  Loads of melt in the mouth "sheep".  Wow

I really am looking forward to creating something special to do this justice.  Thanks for your help and the pointers guys.  Just one more thing.  I can't waste the stock.  What should i do with it :-\ :-\

I'm tempted to throw it in the pot of base ;D ;D ;D

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2011, 11:28 AM »
Well, i didnt wast my stock I froze it ;D.  And am going to use it to cook the other kilo of sheep and probably use it afterwards to make a damn fine tasting mutton stew 8).  As for the end product I used it last night in 976's bhuna, the results of which i will be posting later today ::)

Offline colin grigson

• Indian Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Sorry for 'bumping this but it took me ages to find this and I'm sure many others would benefit from a reliable method of pre cooking lamb .. mine's out of the freezer to be slow cooked tomorrow ready for curry king's lamb bhuna tomorrow night ... I'll let you all know my thoughts in due course although I'll be surprised if it turns out anything other than delicious having read the reviews !!    :) 

Offline curryhell

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 10:17 PM »
This sure is an excellent way to prepare lamb or sheep as my local asian butcher calls it.  Thanks to 976 bar and Paul P for cracking this one for me.  Sounds like you won't be disappointed with the curry and you sure won't be disappointed with the meat you cook.  Enjoy and let us know how it all goes Colin  ;)

Offline tongey

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 11:54 PM »
Thanks for the bump on this Colin, and thanks for the OP Paul :)

I also want to cook more with Lamb (or Mutton) - As some of you may have seen, I had partial success with mutton cooking it on the gas stove for 2 hours.

I have a slow cooker already so will be trying this the next time I cook up a batch :)

©2024 Curry Recipes