Author Topic: My lesson today  (Read 27505 times)

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
Re: My lesson today
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 01:48 PM »
Well my chef has just left after giving me another lesson(aloo chat,sag aloo and bombay potato).All I can say is they all had the TASTE,SMELL and TEXTURE just like my Indian take-away.If I think about it they were probably more flavoursome than some round here and best of all not floating around in loads of oil.

Funny thing is after he went I thought I would make another sag aloo with the left over but exact ingredients and you know what?? Either my technique was different or something but it was not quite there yet!! It didn't have the same taste has he had done but I was using the same stuff.The point about being overloaded with spices on my original three hour session was spot-on,today the base smelt sweet,savoury but not too spicy(which is how he tells me it's supposed to be as it has to cover most dishes mild or hot)

I'm really not sure how to proceed with regards to recipes etc at the moment.The thing is I have quite a few more lessons and I don't want to give the guy the hump half way.It seems he does this off his own back and his business partner knows nothing about it.I now know the restaurant he works in(he's actually in the process of preparing a book).At the end of my lessons he's going to give me a folder of all that I have done so it may be best if I hold fire at the moment,it was a struggle to get him here in the first place!!!

Next lesson on Monday Tandoori and Tikka(marinating) and the cooking the following day

Offline haldi

• Elite Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 09:03 PM »
At the end of my lessons he's going to give me a folder of all that I have done so it may be best if I hold fire at the moment,it was a struggle to get him here in the first place!!!
Hi JB, I'm on the edge of my seat with your reports
Does the last statement mean, no recipes for a while, then?
How long then?

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 11:03 PM »
like I said I don't want to upset the guy.I've not mentioned the forum I didn't want him to think I was up to something underhanded....All I can say is he's pretty much confirmed that everything we do on here is correct,no mystery ingredients etc.My lessons are over in two weeks.This forum has taught me so much over the years once I can post some info I will do.

Online George

• Jedi Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 12:00 AM »
Funny thing is after he went I thought I would make another sag aloo with the left over but exact ingredients and you know what?? Either my technique was different or something but it was not quite there yet!! It didn't have the same taste has he had done but I was using the same stuff.

If it was me, I'd postpone WATCHING any new dishes being made and switch to LEARNING how to create the same flavours he does, e.g. for sag aloo. Ask him to teach you. Unless you can produce dishes which taste 99% as good as his, what's the point?

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2010, 01:08 PM »
If it was me, I'd postpone WATCHING any new dishes being made and switch to LEARNING how to create the same flavours he does, e.g. for sag aloo. Ask him to teach you. Unless you can produce dishes which taste 99% as good as his, what's the point?

I agree with this.

jb - surely he won't mind you wanting to go over stuff again to make sure you have nailed it. I would definitely want to repeat (over and over, if necessary) until mine was a carbon copy of his.

I think this has been mentioned, but is there no possibility of someone grabbing a video of him creating a dish? Not necessarily for you to post here, but to review on your own to confirm you are doing exactly what he did.

Offline jb

• Curry Spice Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2010, 01:47 PM »
I'm making another base sauce for Monday's lesson as well.If I'm honest I only really cooked another dish by myself when he left just to use up some of the left over potatoes.I watched him closely when he made the aloo chat and sag alloo but maybe I did things in the wrong order or messed something up.He's quite a nice fellow I'll ask him to do them again for me.All he did was written up for me which I will be getting shortly.
 Anything we cook now will be done by me with him watching and guiding me on technique.I will film it as well to be sure-I was just making the point that we both used the same ingredients so it must be technique and practice.
 On a friendly negative note though I really wish these threads would stick to the subject and not keep being hijacked by arguments etc!!! It's taken me a lot of effort and money to get this guy round,maybe the outcome will be good maybe not I don't know but(as far as I know) it's the first time a member has actually had a one to one lesson in their home by a restaurant chef..

Offline Ramirez

• Spice Master Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Anything we cook now will be done by me with him watching and guiding me on technique.I will film it as well to be sure-I was just making the point that we both used the same ingredients so it must be technique and practice.

This is probably the bit that will be of the most value to you. If he can get you producing curries of the quality he was, then you're onto a winner.

Offline Paul1980

• Senior Chef
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2010, 02:15 PM »
Keep up the good work jb there are some members including me who are very interested to see how you get on.
Thanks

Offline Cory Ander

• Genius Curry Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 03:45 PM »
Did he use any of the potatoes in the base jb?

Offline Curry King

• I've Had Way Too Much Curry
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 04:25 PM »
OT posts have been removed to keep the thread on track, who would have thought people could get this worked up over curry  ;D

©2024 Curry Recipes